Conservative voters: Why do you vote conservative? Watch

ArtisticScreech
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm interested to know. I'll say right now I'm not a Corbyn supporter and I did not vote for either of the 2 main parties. But I cannot understand why you would want to vote for the conservative party? For example, one of the reasons I decided not to vote labour was because of anti-Semitism; if you feel the same way, why would you vote for Boris Johnson, who has made numerous bigoted remarks? And why would you trust the conservatives to make things better when the amount of rough sleepers has risen, they have lied (I.e. the 50,000 nurses pledge) and allowed Windrush to happen?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does the same question need asking this many times?

And let's be honest, the vast majority of Conservative voters are not this site's demographic.
miniminotaur
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I voted Conservative because Corbyn would ruin the economy and would mean my family would inherit almost nothing due to the threat of a new high inheritance tax.
There is also the fact that Corbyn has said nothing about Brexit. Methinks he is a Brexit supporter himself but the whole of the Labour party is resoundingly remain which I don't like.
I want Brexit to happen as fast as possible as it's already been 3 years since the vote. The new majority means it will happen next month

Also I don't care what Boris Johnson has said in the past and it's not even extreme anyway. All I care about is how he handles the country, and that seems a lot safer than under Jeremy Corbyn. Corbyn also supports the IRA and Hamas - the few 'bigoted' remarks Johnson has made don't come close to that.
Wooord
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by miniminotaur)
I voted Conservative because Corbyn would ruin the economy and would mean my family would inherit almost nothing due to the threat of a new high inheritance tax.
There is also the fact that Corbyn has said nothing about Brexit. Methinks he is a Brexit supporter himself but the whole of the Labour party is resoundingly remain which I don't like.
I want Brexit to happen as fast as possible as it's already been 3 years since the vote. The new majority means it will happen next month

Also I don't care what Boris Johnson has said in the past and it's not even extreme anyway. All I care about is how he handles the country, and that seems a lot safer than under Jeremy Corbyn. Corbyn also supports the IRA and Hamas - the few 'bigoted' remarks Johnson has made don't come close to that.
Now tell us why you voted for conservative instead of why you just didn’t vote for Jeremy Corbyn
Last edited by Wooord; 1 month ago
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wooord)
Now tell us why you voted for conservative instead of why you just don’t vote for Jeremy Corbyn
If that's their motivation who are you to say it's wrong?
chloelx01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by miniminotaur)

But isn't 'getting Brexit done' more important than getting Brexit right? I would have voted remain had I have been able to, but I understand not everyone can be satisfied in politics. Brexit was never going to be a quick and easy process to begin with it is an extremely large transition, trade deals can take years to co-ordinate, especially as we are about to leave one of the world's largest trading blocs
TheLittlestElf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Christ you're insufferable :lol:
Ecdysiastt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Disliked a lot of their policies, including Brexit. I felt it was too indecisive at this stage and if they had that policy in 2017 it might've gone down better, but he tried making both sides of his party happy and ultimately it cost him dearly.

I also absolutely despised the free broadband policy. On the surface it sounds good but when you look deeper than that it's downright dystopian. Sure, let's imagine Corbyn has no ill-will and state owned broadband is now an option for people, but then the next labour leader comes in and he decides to block all searches that are negative about the labour party, or a right wing govt blocks all left wing content online. It gets very out of hand very quickly and Corbyn would've been the one to open the door to state censorship on the scale of China. It just really didn't settle well with me at all and I couldn't trust a man who wouldn't consider the implications of his policies like that.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheLittlestElf)
Christ you're insufferable :lol:
Another word for 'accurate'. Back in your box.
username5079286
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh well
Last edited by username5079286; 1 month ago
Wooord
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I never said it was wrong
Last edited by Wooord; 1 month ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It was an election where the primary focus was either to stop Brexit or stop Corbyn.
I reluctantly voted for Boris as the best method of stopping Corbyn from getting the keys to no 10 and Labour from coming to power under his leadership.

I don't support any of the brexit deals that have been negotiated with the eu so far.
Nor the one nation conservatism that the PM claims to espouse.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dental.queen20)
The fact that many everyday people think that Johnson will help them is a very sad state do affairs.
It isn't, really, when you think about it.

Yes, it sounds counter intuitive because they're not in a position to benefit from the things that will be put in place, the issue is everybody thinks / hopes that they will.

The majority of people want to be very wealthy, so therefore they're thinking about what happens then. It might be a subconscious thought, but it's there.
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because I trust them on the economy a lot more than I trust Labour, and the thought of Corbyn running the country was genuinely frightening. And they had no policies that I found particularly repulsive (they produced a boring manifesto), which set them apart from the others.

I don't support them, and I doubt I'll ever identify as 'a Conservative', but this time around they were the best of a bad bunch.
username5079286
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It isn't, really, when you think about it.

Yes, it sounds counter intuitive because they're not in a position to benefit from the things that will be put in place, the issue is everybody thinks / hopes that they will.

The majority of people want to be very wealthy, so therefore they're thinking about what happens then. It might be a subconscious thought, but it's there.
I understand where you coming from however it’s quite pathetic. A person I know who is on minimum wage has voted the conservatives and only realised after what it will mean for them and them family.

BRITISH POLITICS IS A SHAMBLES!!
username5079286
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dental.queen20)
I understand where you coming from however it’s quite pathetic. A person I know who is on minimum wage has voted the conservatives and only realised after what it will mean for them and them family.

BRITISH POLITICS IS A SHAMBLES!!
We are living in the real world where you can’t afford to go through life with wishful thinking.

I would suggest everyone to snap out of it and look at the real issues at hand.
Sanaa.Soneji
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All the Tories are not on here because they are all like 65+. Only the true idiots that vote Conservative. Only the true true idiots do something so despicable and horrible.
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Brexit, that is all.
username5079286
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sanaa.Soneji)
All the Tories are not on here because they are all like 65+. Only the true idiots that vote Conservative. Only the true true idiots do something so despicable and horrible.
Exactly!!

The old pensioners who want the immigrants gone..come on group up surely your 65 now let’s think about being more accepting ;P
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sanaa.Soneji)
You need to get a sense of perspective about this, other people see the world/ think differently to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (77)
14.39%
1 (71)
13.27%
2 (67)
12.52%
20%
21.12%
18.69%

Watched Threads