Conservative voters: Why do you vote conservative? Watch

ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sanaa.Soneji)
I’m happy that you understand my emotions. I respect other people opinions but I don’t agree with them.
That is exactly how it should be, can you imagine how boring everything would be if we all had the same opinion?
Good on you my friend 👍
nathan_nacu
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
It does unless it's offensive in some way, are you that easily offended?
If you are then the problem belongs to you my friend, there do seem to be a large amount of people around that don't have the jacobs for the real world.
Um I wasn’t offended i just made an observation i—
I don’t get when ppl so “you don’t have the x for the real world, has the world I’ve been living in been reversed? Why do u think ur reality is any more ‘real’ than mine because what and where I’ve experienced things are very much different to what you’re accustomed to lol”
ryandavis97
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would I want MORE government regulation, MORE government intervention, MORE taxes, MORE red tape, and a toxic culture to top it all off?
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
Um I wasn’t offended i just made an observation i—
I don’t get when ppl so “you don’t have the x for the real world, has the world I’ve been living in been reversed? Why do u think ur reality is any more ‘real’ than mine because what and where I’ve experienced things are very much different to what you’re accustomed to lol”
I don't, therefore I don't go around dismissing other people's opinions as unacceptable.
And the reason I mentioned the big bad world is that you will forever be meeting those that hold opinions that differ from yours, and if you think that voting conservative is not an acceptable thing to do then you're setting a very low bar of what is.
nathan_nacu
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
I don't, therefore I don't go around dismissing other people's opinions as unacceptable.
And the reason I mentioned the big bad world is that you will forever be meeting those that hold opinions that differ from yours, and if you think that voting conservative is not an acceptable thing to do then you're setting a very low bar of what is.
I didn’t say it was a wrong view i— I’m just trying to make you aware that the umbrella of different opinions is one often used to mask discrimination
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
I didn’t say it was a wrong view i— I’m just trying to make you aware that the umbrella of different opinions is one often used to mask discrimination
That's a bit of a leap from what was originally stated, and which particular discriminations do you feel I'm masking?
Ecdysiastt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sanaa.Soneji)
I’m feeling fine. I’m putting forward my opinion. And you should understand...unless I’m mistaken the you would like to pay college fees and you want the people of the future to go through something horrible.
Oh blimey... I'm assuming you mean tuition fees?

I'm a student, and honestly I do not get the fuss about them. The way they're repaid in this country makes them an absolute non-issue.
It doesn't have an affect on your credit rating, doesn't affect your ability to get a mortgage, you don't repay anything if you earn under £21k a year, and when you do repay it's such a tiny amount of your income that you don't even notice you're paying it back, and any outstanding debt is written off after 30 years. How could it be an issue?

I'd rather have that system than have the government remove tuition fees and get loaded with debt, causing EVERYONE's taxes to increase, not just for the people that actually go to university
TheLittlestElf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Another word for 'accurate'. Back in your box.
Oooo good one mate, sad :lol:
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think a lot of people tend to vote based on what they think will benefit them personally. It’s no different in my case.

I often vote Conservative, because they usually pledge to lower (or at least not raise) taxes, which is good for me, it means I get to keep a bit more of my income. Sure, raising taxes might mean there’s more money for certain types of public spending, but I’m not usually the beneficiary of any of that. I’m a young, healthy person who doesn’t need the NHS very often right now. I didn’t attend a state school and don’t plan to send my own children to one either. I don’t receive any form of benefits. In short, I’d rather have extra money in my pocket to spend on what I need, than have it spent primarily on other people.

I also want the economy to do well (again, ultimately for the purpose of being able to afford more stuff), and the way for that to happen is to put as many people into work as possible, and to get them to be as productive as possible, either in terms of hard work, innovation or recognition of what society needs. Again I find that the Conservative leaning towards lower taxes and less interventionism allows this to happen to a greater extent. I find that a lot of Labour’s policies sound like they would have the opposite effect; for example, trying to introduce a four day working week, more bank holidays for each of the four patron saints, increases in the minimum wage, forcing companies to give shares to their employees regardless of how consistent that would actually be with their remuneration strategy...

Having said that, I voted Labour in this election, not Conservative. This is because I felt it was the best chance of stopping Brexit. I don’t want Britain to leave the EU, just because “why fix what isn’t broken”? I’ve never had any problems specifically due to EU membership, and I was doing perfectly well for myself whilst being part of the EU. So why risk that by trading it in for Brexit, the effects of which are still highly unpredictable? I voted purely on the basis of Brexit in this election, because the government itself is temporary, whereas Brexit is permanent.
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Tories were the lesser of two evils, Jeremy Corbyn's policies would have destroyed the country within a year
stellac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ArtisticScreech)
I'm interested to know. I'll say right now I'm not a Corbyn supporter and I did not vote for either of the 2 main parties. But I cannot understand why you would want to vote for the conservative party? For example, one of the reasons I decided not to vote labour was because of anti-Semitism; if you feel the same way, why would you vote for Boris Johnson, who has made numerous bigoted remarks? And why would you trust the conservatives to make things better when the amount of rough sleepers has risen, they have lied (I.e. the 50,000 nurses pledge) and allowed Windrush to happen?
I vote conservative because they put citizens first, not immigrants.
Red Rose Leftist
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by stellac)
I vote conservative because they put citizens first, not immigrants.
Lol, this is a troll. Some of their own monsters are immigrants, silly.
stellac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Professional G)
Lol, this is a troll. Some of their own monsters are immigrants, silly.
i know. I think you misunderstood me. I am not ant immigrant. My parents are immigrants. I think citizens should be put first, since the government is there to help them not the world. If helping immigrants does not hurt citizens, by all means, go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (4)
44.44%
My career doesn't need one (1)
11.11%
I'm sick of studying (2)
22.22%
I can't find a course I want to do (0)
0%
I don't know enough about them (0)
0%
Nothing, I'm going to do it! (2)
22.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise