Frank Peters
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi there,

I was wondering what happens to the particle if there were no boundary conditions.

I’m doing some reading on it and there isn’t much help. Would it cause the wave function to be 0 and it would have infinite energy?
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Not sure what the context is here. From my point of view, if it was a simulation, the particle could exit the box domain. Without any interaction with any object (because there are no boundary conditions), I guess it keep moving depending on the initial conditions imparted on it.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Frank Peters)
Hi there,

I was wondering what happens to the particle if there were no boundary conditions.

I’m doing some reading on it and there isn’t much help. Would it cause the wave function to be 0 and it would have infinite energy?
QM definitly allows for finite energy particles "outside a box", think free photons, electrons etc. Have you come across the concept of a wave packet ? You don't need box walls to keep the energy finite if the particle itself has a probability density that falls off in space fast enough.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Frank Peters)
Hi there,

A very brief answer.
First, you need to know why do we want to describe the situation of the confined particle in quantum mechanics.
Particle in a box is a simple problem to describe a quantum particle being confined in a potential.
The particle can be NOT in the box. The first case would be scattering problem while the second case would a free particle which is described by a plane wave and the wavefunction cannot be normalized but still have finite energy.
No particle can have infinite energy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (686)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (861)
42.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.11%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.49%

Watched Threads