ChemistryBMP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I have done a screening from my uni and I just starting med school and it turns out I may have a learning disability, they suggested dyslexia, should I take the exam?

what if I fail med school and go to take pharmacy?

at 19 I don't think dyslexia should be found at such an old age, I was never assumed to be, I referred myself due to much difficulty in reading and writing.

the help I would get would be insignificant, is there a point in labelling myself as dyslexic?

thank you
Professi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ChemistryBMP)
Hello, I have done a screening from my uni and I just starting med school and it turns out I may have a learning disability, they suggested dyslexia, should I take the exam?

at 19 I don't think dyslexia should be found at such an old age, I was never assumed to be, I referred myself due to much difficulty in reading and writing.

the help I would get would be insignificant, is there a point in labelling myself as dyslexic?

thank you
I wouldn't think of it as a label, it would have no negative impacts on your life whatsoever. Although it may seem like their help would be insignificant, there are many ways in which they can help if you need it - this includes extra time, the use of a computer for written exams, disability allowance for laptops/software that can help, among other things e.g. reading/writing lessons.

If you take the test and you are found to be dyslexic, there's no shame in taking that help, nor is there any shame in having the "label" of being dyslexic. I would recommend the test if it is negatively impacting your work, which I imagine it may be if someone has referred you to the disability service, you should take the test if financially viable (if I remember correctly you unfortunately have to pay).
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

thank you
A significant number of medical students and doctors have dyslexia, and it's not unusual for it to be picked up for the first time at university.

Have a chat with your student support department - they will be able to give you guidance which will hopefully help you with exams etc.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are plenty of people who pay lots of money to get a dyslexia diagnosis so they can get extra time in exams.

You should definitely sit it yes. Despite reading and writing being a huge part of a doctor's job, you do still get extra time in doctor's exams and it does not have any negative impact on your career.
Cheesychips1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have dyslexia and am doctor, it's fine. Do the assessment so you can get any support you need
junior.doctor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
19 is not too late to pick up dyslexia. Plenty of medics manage to get through med school and beyond before it gets noticed. I was sent for a screen in my mid 30s because I was struggling with postgrad exams. Turns out I don’t have it, but a friend who was also struggling with postgrad exams mid 30s, was diagnosed at that stage. It meant she got some dedicated exam coaching / support as well as additional time.
There is no issue in having the diagnosis as a medic, there are plenty of people who do - and the plus point would be that you would get extra support that you need. Don’t let yourself suffer and struggle unnecessarily.
ChemistryBMP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by junior.doctor)
19 is not too late to pick up dyslexia. Plenty of medics manage to get through med school and beyond before it gets noticed. I was sent for a screen in my mid 30s because I was struggling with postgrad exams. Turns out I don’t have it, but a friend who was also struggling with postgrad exams mid 30s, was diagnosed at that stage. It meant she got some dedicated exam coaching / support as well as additional time.
There is no issue in having the diagnosis as a medic, there are plenty of people who do - and the plus point would be that you would get extra support that you need. Don’t let yourself suffer and struggle unnecessarily.
but what if flop med school and then cannot apply to certain courses, e.g. pharmacy
junior.doctor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
but what if flop med school and then cannot apply to certain courses, e.g. pharmacy
Why would you not be able to apply to pharmacy? Dyslexia would not be a reason for that. If hypothetically you were unsuccessful in med exams and subsequently applied for a different degree, then yes you would likely have to declare that as you’d be asked about any “career gaps”. But you’re thinking very pessimistically about this. Most med students get through their exams and finish med school, even if some resits are needed along the way. There is every reason to believe that you will too, especially if there is some extra study help that you need and you ask for and use that help. There is nothing to be afraid of by having a diagnosis of dyslexia.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads