The Student Room Group

Remain 'wins' vote share, but England still likely pro-Brexit

Don't know if it's already been done, but I was curious and tallied the 'people's vote' and Remain won.

Leave (Con + Brexit + Dup + Yorkshire + UKIP + Liberal) = 47% (14,890,116)

Remain (Lab + SNP + Lib Dem + Green + Sinn Fein + Plaid + Alliance + SDLP + UUP + TIGC) = 53% (16,765,918)

However, if you remove the Irish, Scottish and Welsh parties, they're only a few hundred thousand out, and this still includes Scottish and Welsh Labour and Lib Dem votes, so it's safe to say England is very pro-Brexit, perhaps even moreso now.

*Labour has a slight asterisk but, from what we've seen, it's safe to go on the logic that most people only support democracy until it gets them the result they want, so only a negligible amount of 'leavers' would be voting for the chance to not leave.

**I didn't count the handful of parties with less than 10,000 votes i.e. the same or less than The Monster Raving Loony Party.
Reply 1
Labour votes surely can't be counted for Remain, given they have such a vague mess of a policy on Brexit. Maybe give a third to Remain, and third to Leave and a third to a 'No Idea' group.
Honestly, I'm now past caring. They won, he thinks he's got a mandate to deliver Brexit. The turkeys voted for christmas, let them crack on. Cannot wait till a few months down the line when the Northern heartlands who voted for this mess start losing jobs and investment, it'll only be a matter of time. It will go tits up, now as a staunch remainer I just want to sit back and watch it happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Neilos
Labour votes surely can't be counted for Remain, given they have such a vague mess of a policy on Brexit. Maybe give a third to Remain, and third to Leave and a third to a 'No Idea' group.

Their Brexit policy has been clear - a referndum on their deal or to Remain. I see no reason why most Leavers would vote for that given voting Conservative gives them leave, which has happened.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending