15BowersS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’m in year 11 and I’m struggling thinking about what to do at uni and what a levels to do.
I’m really interested in geography, politics, psychology and I may want to go into film directing. I also really like drama. I’m currently predicted all 9s and I think PPE sounds interesting and it’s good for going into the media. I’m not sure about doing maths a level but I’m aware it’s very useful. What degree courses work for my subjects and would help me get into film directing? And what unis have good drama and facilities for film making? I’m currently thinking maths, geography, RS and psychology a level but I’m not sure about maths.
lucyyjeann
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're looking at getting into film directing that's a creative pathway, and studying a practical media, film or television based course is the best way to gain skills in film directing.
I'd also suggest picking at least one creative A-Level like English, Media or Art (i did all three). When I first applied to uni I applied to study Media Production (I now study fine art though) and part of the application for that course was making an applicant video about myself and taking at least one creative A-level will definitely give you the creative thinking skills you need if you want to go into film.
If you're only in year 11 now though - you have quite a lot of time to figure out what you want to do! I would say taking media a-level is a really good idea if you think you want to study and work in film, as it still has a lot of relevance to politics and the world as a whole as well as actual creative media content
15BowersS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for your advice! I’m thinking of something more like politics because I thought I could start making films based around my unrelated degree and then if I decide to do something else I can. But I’m not sure of the best way to do it 😀
lucyyjeann
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 15BowersS)
Thank you for your advice! I’m thinking of something more like politics because I thought I could start making films based around my unrelated degree and then if I decide to do something else I can. But I’m not sure of the best way to do it 😀
Hmm if it's politics you're really interested in but still want to try film making, studying something like Media or Politics / Media combined honours at uni would probably be something you'd enjoy. If you studied just politics or PPE you may not have access to the filmmaking facilities or equipment of the uni you go to, they may only be available to students studying film based courses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads