DavidAllsopp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey! I was wondering if anyone else found it hard to find the right driving instructor? I know I did. I'd love to hear your stories and experiences!
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Stay away from schools, go for indepedent instructors who build the business themselves, my first exeprience was with a school and it was a joke, I binned my instructor after 3 lessons.

Often independents are just miles better than schools where instructors drop in and out constantly and can't even get their own client base - no way of writing feedback about them directly either as they're behind the name of a school and the instructor isn't advertised.

My instructor was an ex-police response driver and he was absolutely insanely good at teaching me to drive and elevating you beyond just 'learner' and teaching you lots of advanced defensive driving knowledge. Forced me out of my comfort zone little by little as we went along, so he was very astute working with individuals too. You really want to seek out people with this sort of background.
DavidAllsopp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Vexper)
Stay away from schools, go for indepedent instructors who build the business themselves, my first exeprience was with a school and it was a joke, I binned my instructor after 3 lessons.

Often independents are just miles better than schools where instructors drop in and out constantly and can't even get their own client base - no way of writing feedback about them directly either as they're behind the name of a school and the instructor isn't advertised.

My instructor was an ex-police response driver and he was absolutely insanely good at teaching me to drive and elevating you beyond just 'learner' and teaching you lots of advanced defensive driving knowledge. Forced me out of my comfort zone little by little as we went along, so he was very astute working with individuals too. You really want to seek out people with this sort of background.
Okay! Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Appreciated!
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Vexper)

I’d never go independent they are to much of a risk as they mainly rely on word of mouth in regards to promoting their services. If business is slow they will try to keep you for as long as possible. With proper schools its in the instructors best interest to get you in and out as they have targets to meet. I passed with a school personally, my sister went independent and was milked (nohomo).
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
I’d never go independent they are to much of a risk as they mainly rely on word of mouth in regards to promoting their services. If business is slow they will try to keep you for as long as possible. With proper schools its in the instructors best interest to get you in and out as they have targets to meet. I passed with a school personally, my sister went independent and was milked (nohomo).
Many instructors jump from school to school because their pass rates are *******s and they just take easy money. Would much rather trust an independent any day of the week - word of mouth is more to rely on than taking those ****ty school package deals which look ideal but realistically your first hour is spent with some mug pointing at a picture of the clutch rather than letting you operate it.

I tried both, schools are full of chancers. However, I would recommend them if you are on a seriously tight budget as independent naturally cost more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (676)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads