The Student Room Group

My professors keep humiliating me?

I got to a small community college. All my professors keep telling me drop out of my community college program,( Accounting). They think I cant do math with out a calculator. I was supposed to subtract something in front of the class, i blanked out. but i know how to subtract and multiply without a calculator. Also I wrote February 30 instead of 28 on my quiz.

They keeping degrading me in front of my class, and everyone notices. My professor told me to drop out of the program in front of the entire class, and it spread to most people in the program. During my exam my teacher tried break my calculator, by trying to pull it a part. Also my professor stood so her back side faced me, she also threw the sign in sheet at me. I feel so humiliated.

none of my class mates like me. I feel horrible about my self. I get good marks, i am 75 to 85 student.
I'm pretty sure such actions would be against some university/ ethics guidelines. I would consider taking measures to gather evidence of this humiliation (also check if you're legally allowed to record them without their consent) and filing a formal complaint to whoever's in charge of personnel in the university (you can probably find this info on your university website).

Also, check the legality of what your professors are doing as I am pretty certain trying to break your calculator is unethical and illegal as it is your property.

I would also consider contacting some news sources (University newspaper, local newspapers, etc.) as public opinion and reputation are often what drives change for corporations (such as Universities) as they often wish to appear as saints in the eyes of the public.
Do you have discalculia? If so, you have a learning disability and they could get in trouble for making fun of you. I would submit a complaint to the college, but it might be best to get diagnosed first.
Reply 3
Don't get diagnosed first. if this has happened, do something about it. It is not ok on any planet or for any reason. you do not need a disability for this to be wrong
Original post by thargai
I got to a small community college. All my professors keep telling me drop out of my community college program,( Accounting). They think I cant do math with out a calculator. I was supposed to subtract something in front of the class, i blanked out. but i know how to subtract and multiply without a calculator. Also I wrote February 30 instead of 28 on my quiz.

They keeping degrading me in front of my class, and everyone notices. My professor told me to drop out of the program in front of the entire class, and it spread to most people in the program. During my exam my teacher tried break my calculator, by trying to pull it a part. Also my professor stood so her back side faced me, she also threw the sign in sheet at me. I feel so humiliated.

none of my class mates like me. I feel horrible about my self. I get good marks, i am 75 to 85 student.

I'm very sorry you've had bad experiences with professors in your college! It is completely unacceptable for a professor to degrade a student like that.

Each college will have a formal process for making complaints - I would encourage you to visit the student centre and student union as they will be able to help you with this process. It is crucial that you make your college aware so that you and other students do not experience this unacceptable behaviour in the future.

-Miranda
Original post by thargai

Go and approach someone, tell them you’ll take action and report them! This is unacceptable and has happened to me but I didn’t let myself be influenced and reported it!

Quick Reply

Latest