The Student Room Group

4 a levels

i really want to do 4 a levels.
im doing 8 gcses atm plus further maths which is kind of a GCSE.
i want to study medicine so i need biology chemistry + maths but then also i love french and i want to one day work in a french speaking country but would it be too hard?
im doing 8 gcses so will it be a big step up
It's definitely fine to start with 4 A levels if you're interested in all of them - you can always drop one part way through Y12 if you find it's too much work. Do remember that if you are struggling at any point, A*A*A is much better than A*AAB (and no unis require more than 3 A levels) so if you find one subject is dragging you down then there's no need to keep it.

Also maths isn't a requirement for medicine except for Cambridge where you generally need at least 3 science/maths A levels. If you want to take it out of your own interest that's fine.
Original post by tugceerten
i want to study medicine so i need biology chemistry + maths but then also i love french and i want to one day work in a french speaking country but would it be too hard?

I am currently doing 3 a levels (biology chemistry and physics) and it is alredy quite a work load but I do have a couple of friends who are doing 4 a levels and they are managing just fine one of my friends is doing bio chem physics and maths, the other is doing bio chem maths and french like you want to do and the ither is doing french spanish polics and sociology.

With biology and chemistry I can assure that even though the workload is quite a bit it's still manageable. For french I do speak to some of my friends who do french a level and they have told me that it is a very difficult a level and it pretty much takes up most of their time. I was also planning on doing 4 a levels with my fourth being french as I did really well at gcse but the course didnt seem that appealing.
The best advice I can give you is to do your research. Research the hell out of all your courses and by that I mean what exam board you're going to be doing the content you're going to be covering and how it's going to be assessed.
I really hope I helped if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask
@hello7547 thankyou

And about the step up. I did 12 gcse and the step up to a level was reasonable
@greencub okay thankssss

Maths is not needed for medicine. Just look on some websites.

A language A-level is always known as a lot of work. It is a great life skill to have though.

Quick Reply

Latest