MSc Social Science of the Internet (Oxford Internet Institute) 2020-21

Watch
NLSeaWave
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey! I saw they had a forum last year where people posted when they got interviews or got decisions back and such so I figured I would make one for this year. Good luck to everyone!
UuSparkingTs
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Applied to this course and I am really curious about the interview rate?

First I thought most applicants would get an interview invitation but a friend who is currently studying at OII told me this course only interviews those with a less clear research interest..
shawns
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by UuSparkingTs)
Applied to this course and I am really curious about the interview rate?

First I thought most applicants would get an interview invitation but a friend who is currently studying at OII told me this course only interviews those with a less clear research interest..
That's interesting to know. Does it mean that there are some people getting the offer without an interview?
UuSparkingTs
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by shawns)
That's interesting to know. Does it mean that there are some people getting the offer without an interview?
According to my friend, yes; I'm not 100% sure though.
NLSeaWave
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by UuSparkingTs)
According to my friend, yes; I'm not 100% sure though.
Can confirm based on conservations with people admitted. I'm not sure about the percentage but there are definitely people admitted with no interview. The criteria on the website says: "If a student clearly exceeds all the admission criteria and their proposed research is innovative and can be supervised at the Oxford Internet Institute then they may be made an offer without an interview."
btermite
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have also applied to this course for the November deadline. My background is in political science, hoping to study impact of new media on campaigns and political communication.
What are other people's research interests? It seems like a very diverse mix of students which is one of the things that drew me to the program.
cailinh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey guys! I'm wondering if anyone that applied to the January deadline for this program received any news about interviews?
username5060682
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cailinh)
Hey guys! I'm wondering if anyone that applied to the January deadline for this program received any news about interviews?
I applied for MSc Social Science of the Internet for the January deadline. Haven‘t heard anything back yet though. How about you?
cailinh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rmm96)
I applied for MSc Social Science of the Internet for the January deadline. Haven‘t heard anything back yet though. How about you?
Nope, no word yet. Hopefully, we hear something within the next two weeks..
username5060682
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, that’s what I am hoping for too. Is this your first choice? What else did you apply for, may I ask? Since this is quite an unusual course and institute.
cailinh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rmm96)
Yeah, that’s what I am hoping for too. Is this your first choice? What else did you apply for, may I ask? Since this is quiteYes, this program is my first choice! The moment I read about the program I couldn't stop thinking about it. I'm also applying to environmental economics programs at UCL, LSE, and Imperial. What about you? an unusual course and institute.
Yes, this program is my first choice! The moment I read about the program I couldn't stop thinking about it. I'm also applying to environmental economics programs at UCL, LSE, and Imperial. What about you?
garfy777
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Applied for January deadline and no news yet. If anyone had received an interview invite could you please let me know? Good luck.
garfy777
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you received an interview invite this week? Still nothing for me here...
cailinh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by garfy777)
Have you received an interview invite this week? Still nothing for me here..
Nope... absolutely nothing. The silence is killing me. Into week 6 and I don't know if anyone has heard anything yet..
username5060682
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope... absolutely nothing. The silence is killing me. Into week 6 and I don't know if anyone has heard anything yet..
First day of week 7 and still no news on my end. I would have thought that at least the interview invitations would have gone out by now.
cailinh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rmm96)
First day of week 7 and still no news on my end. I would have thought that at least the interview invitations would have gone out by now.
Right?! It's really bizarre. It seems like this also happened last year due to technical difficulties but I haven't heard anything about that yet. Tempted to email about it.
Fenneli
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey guys, I haven't heard back either and am getting nervous. Do we know for sure that interview invitations have not been sent out yet? Do you know any other people who have applied? Maybe it would indeed be good to contact the department and ask for clarification.
tearbender
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I haven't heard back either.
mtsot
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! Same with me, I have applied by the Jan deadline and nothing yet.
whirlwind01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Got admitted by the social science of the internet today without an interview. Good luck to all!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (206)
52.15%
No, they should still go ahead (56)
14.18%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (133)
33.67%

Watched Threads