The Student Room Group

As chemistry

Which molecule has no loan pairs?

A. BeCl2
B. CF4
C. NH3
D. BH3

The answer is D. I understand that BH3 has no loan pairs, but doesn’t CH4 also have no loan pairs?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous__02

A. BeCl2
B. CF4
C. NH3
D. BH3

The answer is D. I understand that BH3 has no loan pairs, but doesn’t CH4 also have no loan pairs? And I’m guessing A isn’t even an option because it’s an ionic compound

Hi. Could you check your question as I agree, CH4 does not have any lone (not loan) pairs. BeCl2 is not an option as it is linear planar and both electron pairs are bonded so no lone pair or elctrons
Reply 2

A. BeCl2
B. CF4
C. NH3
D. BH3

The answer is D. I understand that BH3 has no loan pairs, but doesn’t CH4 also have no loan pairs? And I’m guessing A isn’t even an option because it’s an ionic compound

Hi. Could you check your question as I agree, CH4 does not have any lone (not loan) pairs. BeCl2 is not an option as it is linear planar and both electron pairs are bonded so no lone pair of electrons
Reply 3
It's CF4, not CH4 - the 4 carbon e's bond with all the fluorines
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ben878
It's CF4, not CH4 - there are lone pairs on the fluorine atoms since they have 7 e's and only 1 is used to bond with the carbon

Agreed, his text said CH4 but his Q had CF4 thus the suggestion to check
Original post by Ben878
It's CF4, not CH4 - there are lone pairs on the fluorine atoms since they have 7 e's and only 1 is used to bond with the carbon

Wait sorry can you just elaborate further
Original post by Munrhe
Agreed, his text said CH4 but his Q had CF4 thus the suggestion to check

Yeah my mistake
Reply 7
Wait sorry can you just elaborate further

I assumed (like Munrhe said) it should've been CF4 instead of CH4. If you make a dot and cross diagram for CF4 you will see what I mean
Original post by Ben878
I assumed (like Munrhe said) it should've been CF4 instead of CH4. If you make a dot and cross diagram for CF4 you will see what I mean

Oh right . I think I’ve been doing ch4 this whole time without even realising lol
Original post by Munrhe
BeCl2 is not an option as it is linear planar and both electron pairs are bonded so no lone pair or elctrons

Sorry do you mean BeCl2 does contain lone pairs?
Reply 10
Oh right . I think I’ve been doing ch4 this whole time without even realising lol

Did you check what option B was? I should have been more clear and said although it's CF4, it would not actually make a difference as neither CH4 or CF4 contain lone pairs

And BeCl2 does not contain lone pairs
Reply 11
Sorry do you mean BeCl2 does contain lone pairs?

No, no lone pairs as per my original reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending