The Student Room Group

I need a retail job

I have been trying to find a saturday and/or sunday job for so long i have applied to loads of places like Jack Jones, Levis, Dw sports, superdry etc but I have not even been picked for an interview

Is it my CV? Lack of retail Experience?

I need to find one just so i can save up
We can't really tell you if your CV is a problem considering we don't know what your CV looks like. But considering you mentioned lack of experience, ensure you touch upon skills and such that make yourself seem like a quick, eager learner, whose lack of experience wouldn't get in the way of being the best candidate. Find examples in other aspects of your life that could be used in the line of work you're aiming for.

Also, retail jobs receive a lot of applicants, so if you don't get an interview, it could purely be down to there being so many other more people applying.

Although, many employers are looking for employees who are very flexible and can work pretty much any time, many seeing this job as needing to be a person's top priority, so a weekend job greatly decreases your availabilty. Perhaps keep an eye out for jobs that specify a weekend worker, or a temp worker.

Main point is, keep trying. It's difficult with everyone, but you'll hopefully find one eventually if you keep trying and learning how to improve your employability :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by velvethopes
We can't really tell you if your CV is a problem considering we don't know what your CV looks like. But considering you mentioned lack of experience, ensure you touch upon skills and such that make yourself seem like a quick, eager learner, whose lack of experience wouldn't get in the way of being the best candidate. Find examples in other aspects of your life that could be used in the line of work you're aiming for.

Also, retail jobs receive a lot of applicants, so if you don't get an interview, it could purely be down to there being so many other more people applying.

Although, many employers are looking for employees who are very flexible and can work pretty much any time, many seeing this job as needing to be a person's top priority, so a weekend job greatly decreases your availabilty. Perhaps keep an eye out for jobs that specify a weekend worker, or a temp worker.

Main point is, keep trying. It's difficult with everyone, but you'll hopefully find one eventually if you keep trying and learning how to improve your employability :smile:

Thanks
I will keep trying
I may try and volunteer at a charity shop as that may give me experience like working at the till keeping store clean etc etc
Reply 3
Original post by Mosulley
Thanks
I will keep trying
I may try and volunteer at a charity shop as that may give me experience like working at the till keeping store clean etc etc

I have been trying to find a saturday and/or sunday job for so long i have applied to loads of places like Jack Jones, Levis, Dw sports, superdry etc but I have not even been picked for an interview

Have you tried Argos, Tesco, Boots , Asda, Sainsburys, Aldi, Lidi. M&S, - you'll need to search for the jobs that will offer you Saturday & Sunday because most will offer you anything otherwise ok, F / M ! They all do online applications and online assessments but give them ago and don't give up to easily either. Don't worry if no experienced because just remember that we all must start at some point with a job ok.
Most places won't be taking anyone probably untill after the christmas /new year holidays but boots always looking for staff part-time ok but its all online applications and assessment and then if successful get a interview offer ok. Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by weeemma
Have you tried Argos, Tesco, Boots , Asda, Sainsburys, Aldi, Lidi. M&S, - you'll need to search for the jobs that will offer you Saturday & Sunday because most will offer you anything otherwise ok, F / M ! They all do online applications and online assessments but give them ago and don't give up to easily either. Don't worry if no experienced because just remember that we all must start at some point with a job ok.
Most places won't be taking anyone probably untill after the christmas /new year holidays but boots always looking for staff part-time ok but its all online applications and assessment and then if successful get a interview offer ok. Good luck

Thanks
I have tried Boots, Sainsburys, Asda
The others don't have vacancies online but i am going to check instore
Reply 5
Thanks
I have tried Boots, Sainsburys, Asda
The others don't have vacancies online but i am going to check instore

Hi
Boots do majority of vacancies online and rarely advertised instore ok.

Its just unfortunately time of year for jobs hunting but boots start usually the Monday following the Xmas / new year holidays has finished, but check the online vacancies as plenty there depending on the stores in your area ok.
PM if you have any question on boots ok xx
try next or debenhams or sainsburys they are always desperate and willing to take anyone

Try mcdonalds. They take on a lot of students and are very flexible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending