Got 67% in my first second year essay

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I’m so annoyed that I got this mark because I was getting 75-80% in essays towards the end of my first year.

The tutors did tell us that it will be harder to gain a first in the second year but I feel that I tried harder and analysed more to compensate for that.

They asked us to critically analyse which I thought I did but I only seemed to analyse hence, the 2:1 mark I got. Can anyone relate to this and what is the difference between analysis and critical analysis? Im studying Education btw.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m so annoyed that I got this mark because I was getting 75-80% in essays towards the end of my first year.

The tutors did tell us that it will be harder to gain a first in the second year but I feel that I tried harder and analysed more to compensate for that.

They asked us to critically analyse which I thought I did but I only seemed to analyse hence, the 2:1 mark I got. Can anyone relate to this and what is the difference between analysis and critical analysis? Im studying Education btw.
Doesnt it sound like you forgot to include the criticism and instead just analysed.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Doesnt it sound like you forgot to include the criticism and instead just analysed.
No I did add critisism as well. I clearly stated that one theorists ideas are more influential than another’s. I don’t know what more I needed to do to get 70+.
999tigger
Report 7 months ago
No I did add critisism as well. I clearly stated that one theorists ideas are more influential than another’s. I don’t know what more I needed to do to get 70+.
Talk to your tutor. Are you really distressed about this? Maybe you can go for a remark if you think you deserved more.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Talk to your tutor. Are you really distressed about this? Maybe you can go for a remark if you think you deserved more.
They get others to look over the assignment to see whether it’s been marked correctly. They obviously want me to be even more critical. She said in the feedback that you I need yo be more critical. Do you think it’s harder to get a first at level 5? It’s gonna be even harder next year🙁
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Critically analysing a text is different to stating that one academics texts are more influential than the others. I am currently doing an MA Education at kcl and have averaged 75's so far so I'm happy to provide some advice.

Few questions: what was your essay question? What did you write about? Which theorists did you use?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Justmac)
Critically analysing a text is different to stating that one academics texts are more influential than the others. I am currently doing an MA Education at kcl and have averaged 75's so far so I'm happy to provide some advice.

Few questions: what was your essay question? What did you write about? Which theorists did you use?
Hi, that’s great. I also weighed the advantages and disadvantages and then stated which one was more influential and why. Is that not enough? My essay question was ’Reflective essay demonstrating the knowledge, skills and understanding to effectively manage pupils' behaviour for learning’ I had to reflect on last years targets, feedback and practice in regards to behaviour management, critically analyse theories and principles about behaviour management including policy and then crutically analyse my progress in managing behaviour and how effective strategies are. I used the department for Education statistics/policy, Bennet’s report and strategies such as, Personal interventions and supports, personalised strategies, differentiation etc. I also used behaviourists like Bandura and Skinner
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Critical analysis requires a deeper level of research than anything else. A lot of people on my MSc course have struggled with the critical side of analysis so haven't been getting as high marks as they're used to, people with firsts at undergrad are getting passes at Masters level.

So for my course it would be something like - X psychologist says this, however there were these limitations to their study. Y psychologist also refutes X psychologist's argument by showing blah blah blah. You're basically taking one theory/idea, examining it, and then researching papers/journal articles that argue the opposite point or bring up refuting evidence. It is really difficult to get to grips with, I'd never critically analysed anything before when starting the course but I went from a pass on my first assignment to a merit on my second because I spent so much more time researching at a deeper level.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Critical analysis requires a deeper level of research than anything else. A lot of people on my MSc course have struggled with the critical side of analysis so haven't been getting as high marks as they're used to, people with firsts at undergrad are getting passes at Masters level.

So for my course it would be something like - X psychologist says this, however there were these limitations to their study. Y psychologist also refutes X psychologist's argument by showing blah blah blah. You're basically taking one theory/idea, examining it, and then researching papers/journal articles that argue the opposite point or bring up refuting evidence. It is really difficult to get to grips with, I'd never critically analysed anything before when starting the course but I went from a pass on my first assignment to a merit on my second because I spent so much more time researching at a deeper level.
Hi, that makes more sense as the tutor did say to explore alternative perspectives. I think she meant the analysis you’re talking about. I suppose 67 is only 3% away from 70%. I also interpreted the evidence quite well but I guess exploring alternative perspectives is the next step to develop my writing.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, that makes more sense as the tutor did say to explore alternative perspectives. I think she meant the analysis you’re talking about. I suppose 67 is only 3% away from 70%. I also interpreted the evidence quite well but I guess exploring alternative perspectives is the next step to develop my writing.
Absolutely. If you take onboard your feedback there's nothing to stop you from getting a first next time.
Anonymous #1
Absolutely. If you take onboard your feedback there's nothing to stop you from getting a first next time.
My feedback was to explore alternative perspectives to develop criticality and to do more in-depth analysis of the theories connected to my practice. How would you interpret this?
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My feedback was to explore alternative perspectives to develop criticality and to do more in-depth analysis of the theories connected to my practice. How would you interpret this?
For example, in my latest essay I used Attachment Theory to explain the risk factors behind an individual's offending. Attachment Theory does fit into the three risk factors I picked out but I also looked at other explanations for the behaviour - one of the risk factors was substance addiction so I started by talking about the evidence that supports Attachment Theory explaining substance addiction but then pointed out there are many other factors that can influence it, like biological and socioeconomic factors, therefore Attachment Theory cannot be solely used to explain the individual's propensity to substance addiction and their resulting offending behaviour. I also criticised Attachment Theory itself, obviously Bowlby proposed it years and years ago so there are many pieces of work out there pointing out various flaws and limitations, especially when applying it in a modern context.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 7 months ago
Anonymous #1
For example, in my latest essay I used Attachment Theory to explain the risk factors behind an individual's offending. Attachment Theory does fit into the three risk factors I picked out but I also looked at other explanations for the behaviour - one of the risk factors was substance addiction so I started by talking about the evidence that supports Attachment Theory explaining substance addiction but then pointed out there are many other factors that can influence it, like biological and socioeconomic factors, therefore Attachment Theory cannot be solely used to explain the individual's propensity to substance addiction and their resulting offending behaviour. I also criticised Attachment Theory itself, obviously Bowlby proposed it years and years ago so there are many pieces of work out there pointing out various flaws and limitations, especially when applying it in a modern context.
I’ve messaged you.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You need a hint of originality about your argument
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (183)
38.28%
Take autumn exams (147)
30.75%
Look for a job (16)
3.35%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.39%
Take a year out (83)
17.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.86%

Watched Threads