The Student Room Group

latymer sixth form :))

I'm applying to Latymer 6th form for 2020 and taking the entrance test in January.
Could anyone tell me what to expect and practice to get ready for it? Also are there any practice papers for this??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im doing that too :tongue: If you read the email they sent you it says there arent any past papers. It does tell you a description of the kinds of questions there will be on there though:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ~Sara~
Im doing that too :tongue: If you read the email they sent you it says there arent any past papers. It does tell you a description of the kinds of questions there will be on there though:smile:

HAHAH see you there
Reply 3
Original post by hypez
HAHAH see you there

yes :smile:
Reply 4
LOOOL how did you find it?
Reply 5
Original post by hypez
LOOOL how did you find it?

it was really good :biggrin: except for some of the questions in the beginning i didnt have time to finish:redface:
hi i know this is really late, I've applied for the CAT testing for the school, could you tell me how urs went? how was the school? do you have any advice about studying for the entrance? thanks a ton. xxx
Reply 7
Original post by basketball4lyfe
hi i know this is really late, I've applied for the CAT testing for the school, could you tell me how urs went? how was the school? do you have any advice about studying for the entrance? thanks a ton. xxx

hi, quick question what is the CAT testing? I can't lie, I don't think I did that. I only did the one that was required for studying maths and sciences. The school is very nice, everyone was welcoming and the teachers were very nice about it. Everyone now says I fitted in quite nicely haha. Really happy I made the move to latymer,and don't regret it a single bit, defo made some new 4lyfers friends!
Basically, CAT is like the cognitive abilities test which shows you the patterns and stuff, I'm really happy you fit right in! Hoping that'll be me too someday if I get in. Could you please give me an overview of how the science and maths tests went? thank you so much for your help once again! xx
Reply 9
Basically, CAT is like the cognitive abilities test which shows you the patterns and stuff, I'm really happy you fit right in! Hoping that'll be me too someday if I get in. Could you please give me an overview of how the science and maths tests went? thank you so much for your help once again! xx

You could definitely get it if u believe it!! The tests weren't actual science and maths. It was a multiple-choice test with different sections including verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning. So verbal reasoning sections would be to match the word that fit in with the category or find the synonyms/ antonyms things like that. Non-verbal is like looking for patterns, so there would be a section where there's a series of patterns and again you have to choose the one that will fit the series. Quantitative reasoning also patterns (no actual maths questions), looks for patterns in maths sequences. Hope that helped.

Hey lol, this is quite late, but how did you find it? I have mine in less than two weeks and am stressing about it. I applied to latymer at the last minute because I really didn't think I had a chance but then I thought why not! So anyways now I'm just curious as to how other people found it. So if you don't mind could you please share any tips or tricks for me!? Currently I'm doing old 11+ tests online even though I haven't done the 11+. Do you think this would be the right way to go? Thank you so much x
Original post by hypez
You could definitely get it if u believe it!! The tests weren't actual science and maths. It was a multiple-choice test with different sections including verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning. So verbal reasoning sections would be to match the word that fit in with the category or find the synonyms/ antonyms things like that. Non-verbal is like looking for patterns, so there would be a section where there's a series of patterns and again you have to choose the one that will fit the series. Quantitative reasoning also patterns (no actual maths questions), looks for patterns in maths sequences. Hope that helped.

Hey sorry to bother but do you recommend any tips to practice for the test? I applied to latymer on a last minute decision and my exam is in less than two weeks! So do you reckon there's anything I could do to do better on the test? Thank you so much x
Original post by Saalria21
Hey lol, this is quite late, but how did you find it? I have mine in less than two weeks and am stressing about it. I applied to latymer at the last minute because I really didn't think I had a chance but then I thought why not! So anyways now I'm just curious as to how other people found it. So if you don't mind could you please share any tips or tricks for me!? Currently I'm doing old 11+ tests online even though I haven't done the 11+. Do you think this would be the right way to go? Thank you so much x

Hi i’m also doing the latymer test on the 8th of january and I have not prepared at all. I get the vibe that it’s meant to be done with no preparation, however it juts dawned on me now that I should probably prepare. Do you have any times on how to prepare for this upcoming exam, also see you there at the exam :smile:
Original post by c_iwuagwu
Hi i’m also doing the latymer test on the 8th of january and I have not prepared at all. I get the vibe that it’s meant to be done with no preparation, however it juts dawned on me now that I should probably prepare. Do you have any times on how to prepare for this upcoming exam, also see you there at the exam :smile:

Hi lol, I didn't see this message first and I think I just replied to another comment of urs elsewhere about your exam time. lol I'm so scared I've resorted to making friends. But yh no we're in the same boat. I'm lost and don't know what to do and seeing a person that got 125/141 not getting in has just put more fear into me. Honestly at this point I'm just praying... Good luck to us both
Reply 14
Hi lol, I didn't see this message first and I think I just replied to another comment of urs elsewhere about your exam time. lol I'm so scared I've resorted to making friends. But yh no we're in the same boat. I'm lost and don't know what to do and seeing a person that got 125/141 not getting in has just put more fear into me. Honestly at this point I'm just praying... Good luck to us both

Hi, honestly the experience is not too daunting. I'd say the questions are quite similar to 11+, so I recommend doing some of those. (Latymer does GL assessments for 11+). And I'd say work on time management as there are quite a lot of questions to get through in a small amount of time. Btw how do you know they got 125/141 haha, you don't find out your scores... they just give you an offer.. Lastly, don't stress about it too much, it is what it is. Good luck to everyone taking the test.
Original post by hypez
Hi, honestly the experience is not too daunting. I'd say the questions are quite similar to 11+, so I recommend doing some of those. (Latymer does GL assessments for 11+). And I'd say work on time management as there are quite a lot of questions to get through in a small amount of time. Btw how do you know they got 125/141 haha, you don't find out your scores... they just give you an offer.. Lastly, don't stress about it too much, it is what it is. Good luck to everyone taking the test.

Hey thanks for replying, and yes I agree I've been doing some 11+ stuff and I just am too slow at the moment! Also you say there is no actually maths? I think it might be different for me because it said numerical reasoning on the sheet and I did some research and saw that it consisted of like quick mental calculations and little word problems and some data analysis questions?! so I don't know if I searched the right thing or what happened. Also is it 3 or four tests in total because I was told on the sheet the test is split into 3 parts- 20 mins: non verbal, 26 mins: verbal and numerical and 26 mins: spacial and figure analysis, but the officially test starts from 9:30 to 11:30. I'm just a little confused about that ,was that the case for you too?
Apologies for the long message, thank you!

Also that person was on this website and they said that they had apparently asked for their mean score and the school gave them 125 out of the standardised score of 141. So that was the case there...

Thanks once again x
Hey thanks for replying, and yes I agree I've been doing some 11+ stuff and I just am too slow at the moment! Also you say there is no actually maths? I think it might be different for me because it said numerical reasoning on the sheet and I did some research and saw that it consisted of like quick mental calculations and little word problems and some data analysis questions?! so I don't know if I searched the right thing or what happened. Also is it 3 or four tests in total because I was told on the sheet the test is split into 3 parts- 20 mins: non verbal, 26 mins: verbal and numerical and 26 mins: spacial and figure analysis, but the officially test starts from 9:30 to 11:30. I'm just a little confused about that ,was that the case for you too?

Also that person was on this website and they said that they had apparently asked for their mean score and the school gave them 125 out of the standardised score of 141. So that was the case there...

Thanks once again x

omd you have been doing some work revising for the exam 😭😭😭pls you’re acc making me stress.
Do you know where you got the 11+ questions from that you are using to prepare, maybe a little refresh on 11+ won’t hurt😭💀
Original post by c_iwuagwu
omd you have been doing some work revising for the exam 😭😭😭pls you’re acc making me stress.
Do you know where you got the 11+ questions from that you are using to prepare, maybe a little refresh on 11+ won’t hurt😭💀

lol omg nah I just realised that 125 is an IQ test score and i remember in my year 7 CATS I got 113 or something like that ( think lower 💀). I swear down this realisation hit me and I broke into tears, I was like crap I'm screwed like wth I'm no where near that score! I have literally just been searching up like '11+ past papers" from like different schools like Edwards or something and trying to do those like why am I struggling on something for 11 year olds. I'be also been trying to fins some shapes stuff but can't find much there are just random websites that have like 5 questions then I have to pay £40, like no I'm good. I don't think there much I can change in like two weeks 😭
I have acc given up though like this thing is stressing me out for no reason and so Imma just continue with my school work cuz I have mocks right after school opens so ughhh yeah... Great way to start the new year lol!

Also Happy New Year!!
Hey, I applied for Godolphin and Latymer and did the CAT, I got invited for a subject interview but didn't get past that stage, but it was basically just identifying patterns. There were 4 key sections: non-verbal, verbal, numerical, and shapes, it went fine, but all stages are done under timed conditions. It was really just identifying patterns in shapes, numbers, words etc. I didn't know how to revise either, so I did the 11+ too, and after that, I went on youtube and looked at videos where YouTubers explained possible questions, I then tried some of the non-verbal and verbal reasoning which they give to adults bc it was the only thing I could find, but that's really all I did. I'm sure other people might say different, but there wasn't really any way I could study further. Let me know if you have any other questions, good luck!! xx

Reply 19

Thanks once again x

Yes theres no actual maths when I did it and I was quite angry because maths was the one section that boosted up my score. The maths is more like spot the odd one out, find the next number etc etc. Yes the test is split into different sections, but I remember the sections to be much shorter than that. I think when I did it they split non verbal into 2/3 sections instead of a whole 20 minute chunk. And they give you a 10 minute break.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending