The Student Room Group

rapid weak pulse?!

What could cause a rapid but weak/ hard to feel pulse?

I'm awaiting some cardiology appointments so this is being investigated by the doctor but they're abit stumped at what's wrong with me at the moment. I have a resting pulse within ranges of 120s-150s but it's really hard to feel my pulse at times.

I'm drinking well. passing good volumes. Feel generally fine apart from odd flutter.

Any ideas?!
Do you have a lot of muscles/subcutaneous tissue around your wrists? Idk about the fast resting pulse though. My resting pulse is also high but they didn't find anything when I had investigations. Hope you get an answer after having all your tests.
Reply 2
No I don't ( at least I don't think I do) I can see my veins and they're near the surface I can just never for the life of me find my pulse rate! yet when I go to my GP and they take it recently it's been as high as 150 and I nearly got admitted to hospital 0.0
naturally abit worried. especially as it's equally as hard at times to find my pulse in my neck? just bizzare! I'm waiting for a 24 tape monitor and echocardiogram so hopefully all will be revealed but would be nice to have some ideas of *potential* causes, not a diagnosis of course, as it's the internet lol
Your pulse is in your arteries and not your veins, so maybe it's just deep in your wrist or something. What did your GP think might be going on? Is your pulse always high or just when you are with the GP? I was told I had sinus tachycardia after I had a 24 hour tape and that it was nothing to worry about.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
they have no idea what's going on because I get palpitations. I'm in sinus rhythm but at 150bpm nearly all the time. lowest reading we've had in 2 weeks is 130.
obviously sinus tachy is not a problem but they're concerned because it's a really high rate.
never had before new onset, ECG from 2017 has me at 70bpm.
Original post by Anonymous
What could cause a rapid but weak/ hard to feel pulse?

I'm awaiting some cardiology appointments so this is being investigated by the doctor but they're abit stumped at what's wrong with me at the moment. I have a resting pulse within ranges of 120s-150s but it's really hard to feel my pulse at times.

I'm drinking well. passing good volumes. Feel generally fine apart from odd flutter.

Any ideas?!

A million and one things. TSR isn't the place to speculate. Sorry :smile:
they have no idea what's going on because I get palpitations. I'm in sinus rhythm but at 150bpm nearly all the time. lowest reading we've had in 2 weeks is 130.
obviously sinus tachy is not a problem but they're concerned because it's a really high rate.

You also sound like you've learnt a lot of vocabulary, which is usually a sign that Dr Google has been hard at work (that's not to say you shouldn't be interested and involved in your own healthcare).

I'd await your cardiology appointment before speculating :smile:
Reply 7
lol I work within the healthcare profession so not too much Dr.Google, just forever curious! Well aware the internet cannot diagnose or curate me 🤣🤣 just interested in other people's opinions or experience :smile:

I get palpitations too, but my pulse is a bit slower (115-130 at rest). My GP wasn't too concerned after my 24 hour tape so I never got any more investigations.

Like Reality Check says, there probably won't be many people on here who can help but hopefully the investigations will help your doctor get an answer.
Reply 9
it's interesting isn't it, I've worked within the NHS for about 5 years and patient wise never met anyone who has been like us, although probably because of the area I work in rare we get cardiology.

very interesting, baffling and tiny bit concerning the not knowing if it's all ok (obviously cleared up when cardiology appointments are done) but definitely reassuring knowing this is just something that some people can just have!

if I ever get a definite answer I'll be sure to let you know 🤣
lol I work within the healthcare profession so not too much Dr.Google, just forever curious! Well aware the internet cannot diagnose or curate me 🤣🤣 just interested in other people's opinions or experience :smile:

:laugh: fair play to you then :smile:
it's interesting isn't it, I've worked within the NHS for about 5 years and patient wise never met anyone who has been like us, although probably because of the area I work in rare we get cardiology.

very interesting, baffling and tiny bit concerning the not knowing if it's all ok (obviously cleared up when cardiology appointments are done) but definitely reassuring knowing this is just something that some people can just have!

if I ever get a definite answer I'll be sure to let you know 🤣

Well, for all I know, I may have some horrible condition my GP doesn't know about 🤣. But this has been going on for at least a couple of years and I'm still OK. I'd be interested to know what your doctors think after your tests!

Quick Reply

Latest