Student finance after uni suspension twice

Watch
beanie125
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
This might be quite niche but hoping someone might be able to help.

In January I suspended my studies (I'm in my 4th and final year) due to mental health reasons. I got a load of help and am in such a better position and am happy I took the time out. I returned to study this year in October and all was going well until I had 2 episodes of crisis and the university have told me that I now can't study until March at least. (It's a nightmare, they're not listening to medical professionals but that's another story!)
They've recommended that I restart (again) in October 2020, but I don't think I can because I thought that student finance only covered you for the length of the degree (4 years) + 1 and given that I suspended last year, surely I wouldn't be able to receive funding next year? (even though I've only had funding for 2 terms but just in different academic years. The other option is to continue in March which I'm hoping to do, but I want to know for definite whether I can or can't get finance if I restarted in October 2020.
Does anyone have any experience of this?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by beanie125)

In January I suspended my studies (I'm in my 4th and final year) due to mental health reasons. I got a load of help and am in such a better position and am happy I took the time out. I returned to study this year in October and all was going well until I had 2 episodes of crisis and the university have told me that I now can't study until March at least. (It's a nightmare, they're not listening to medical professionals but that's another story!)
They've recommended that I restart (again) in October 2020, but I don't think I can because I thought that student finance only covered you for the length of the degree (4 years) + 1 and given that I suspended last year, surely I wouldn't be able to receive funding next year? (even though I've only had funding for 2 terms but just in different academic years. The other option is to continue in March which I'm hoping to do, but I want to know for definite whether I can or can't get finance if I restarted in October 2020.
If both suspensions were due to your health and you can prove this then SFE will ignore those years of funding due to Compelling Personal Reasons. When you apply for finance in April you’ll need to add in an explanation for your suspensions (in the general notes section if you can’t find anywhere to put it). Apply for funding nice and early so there’s time to get the evidence sent in and approved.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by beanie125)

Hi there,

To add on to PQ's point, be sure to provide evidence alongside your application for CPR. This can be a signed letter on headed paper from the doctor or institution.

Be aware you can only appeal for one additional year of CPR at a time so if you want to preemptively apply so you have the full 4 years available again then you will need to apply for the other after your first year is approved. Realistically you only need one for the three years to be available so it might be more hassle than it is worth.

I hope this helps!

Patrick :lep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (621)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.07%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.76%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed