Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing my AS Levels and im applying to uni in 2009. What do you think of my university choices:

Sunderland - Business and management
    Northumbria - Business Management
    Teeside - Business Management
    Durham - Management
    Newcastle - Business

ReputationRep:
    why so specifically north?
    look a little further down, manchester, nottingham, leicester, lancaster...

ReputationRep:
    I live up north lol

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster is up north, PLUS has arguably one of the best buisness schools in the country AND has a gorgeous atmosphere and campus..

ReputationRep:
    they're all worthy institutions but you have to remember the gcse thing for durham. it doesnt apply as much for management but still.
    also, are you sure you want to apply somewhere like teeside where you could apply to somewhere like sheffield or york, have a great experience, be reasonably close to home, and get a more respected degree? just saying!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point in going to uni and experiencing life away from home, if you aren't going to move more than 20 miles down the road.

It's like people always going all the way across the world on holiday, when we have some of the most beautiful scenery right on our doorstep.

ReputationRep:
    move out of the northern bubble

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you're not keen on broadening your horizons and mixing things up a bit by moving too far away, then you've at least got a good spread of unis, with a good one to aim for in Durham. You could do to try and be a bit mroe daring by moving further afield - I'm practically traversing the country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    Lancaster is up north, PLUS has arguably one of the best buisness schools in the country AND has a gorgeous atmosphere and campus..
    So does Durham

So really it's just every university in the north-east (apart from York)? I appreciate you live in this region but don't you want to live anywhere else? Uni's a time for new experiences (not that you can't still have this in the region, I know that more than any).

But for the choices themselevse there's a good range. Durham's great, Newcastle is solid. Northumbria is the leading ex-poly that is more than decent in business. Sunderland and (shudders) Teesside would be the two final back ups?

How desperately do you want to go to Sunderland or Teesside? Would you go there? Would you not consider another uni with similar entry requirements to Newcastle or Durham outside of the region? What are your expected grades and subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Aston has a fantastic business school (midlands)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    move out of the northern bubble
    Quiet you!

North's always on top :top:

ReputationRep:
    If you want to stay up north, stay up north!
    I'm going north =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    It's the wrong side of north for OP though, plus it's not that far up anyway...

Though I do agree that you should try to expand your horizons a little. If you're capable of being a realistic Durham applicant, why on earth are you even considering Teesside?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie!)
    If you want to stay up north, stay up north!
    I'm going north =]
    I hope to too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    why so specifically north?
    Techinically midlands, in terms of the UK :p:

(Original post by snail_87)
    I don't see the point in going to uni and experiencing life away from home, if you aren't going to move more than 20 miles down the road.
    How do you know where the OP lives? Newcastle could be 40 miles away, Durham 60, Teesside 80. Still quite close, I know.

they're all worthy institutions but you have to remember the gcse thing for durham. it doesnt apply as much for management but still.
    also, are you sure you want to apply somewhere like teeside where you could apply to somewhere like sheffield or york, have a great experience, be reasonably close to home, and get a more respected degree? just saying!
    The "GCSE thing" isn't applicable to most courses at Durham, courses at their business school being one of them. I appreciate what you're doing in trying to encourage the OP to look elsewhere but I wouldn't say Sheffield was particularly close.

Sheffield can be a bit of a hike for someone living in Newcastle. You can still get even further north than Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
    Quiet you!

North's always on top :top:
    You're barely North :p:

Anyway, Scotland pwns you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    How desperately do you want to go to Sunderland or Teesside? Would you go there? Would you not consider another uni with similar entry requirements to Newcastle or Durham outside of the region? What are your expected grades and subjects?
    Well im currently taking and predicted grades :
    Applied Business Studies (Double Award) BB
    Applied ICT B
    Art A-B

So i no you might think that they are not academic, but i am hoping to take english lan/lit next year as an AS.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to stay in the region OP then of course that's a decent range of unis there.

Pre-Victorian uni (though not pre-victorian dept!)
    Solid "redbrick" in Newcastle
    Leading ex-poly in Northumbria
    Plus Sunderland (up and coming) and Teesside (erm.......it has good student support )

But what are your expected grades? Are you more the Newcastle/Durham side of predicted grades than Teesside?

ReputationRep:
    Whats the GCSE thing ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    You're barely North :p:

Anyway, Scotland pwns you.
    Those ginger savages don't even count, I say we give them their damn independence and be rid of their incompetent politicians and general dead weight once and for all.

:cool:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.