Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Original Legend)
    Whats the GCSE thing ?
    That they are supposed to be GCSEs "Nazis". They aren't. Like most top unis that don't interview in most of their courses they may use GCSEs as a filter. However, the only courses they do this to any extreme is history, medicine and possibly english (probably not law). Certainly not in the business school that I know of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
    Those ginger savages don't even count, I say we give them their damn independence and be rid of their incompetent politicians and general dead weight once and for all.

:cool:
    Are you up for a war against Scotland then ? :lockstock:

We can steal the haggises and put them into zoos :ninja:

(Do you really think complete devolution is a good idea ?)

ReputationRep:
    Call me stupid, but what management course at Durham? Combined social studies (management)? Have you got a link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Call me stupid, but what management course at Durham? Combined social studies (management)? Have you got a link?
    Sorry i got it wrong, its just a business course. anyway you asked for my subjects and predicted grades. do you think theyre good ? (please say what you think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Are you up for a war against Scotland then ? :lockstock:

We can steal the haggises and put them into zoos :ninja:

(Do you really think complete devolution is a good idea ?)
    I'm at war with gingers (especially my brother) and therefore I must be at war with Scotland... I think that we should commit haggicide - it'd be the kindest thing to do really :sadnod:

(and with devolution I don't really know enough about it to have a firm opinion, but anything that gets rid of Brown has to be a good thing in my books.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm at war with gingers (especially my brother) and therefore I must be at war with Scotland... I think that we should commit haggicide - it'd be the kindest thing to do really :sadnod:

(and with devolution I don't really know enough about it to have a firm opinion, but anything that gets rid of Brown has to be a good thing in my books.)
    Ok we can kill the Scottish gingers and some other scots :woo: (but leave the English ones alone (except for your bro of course))

I don't want to kill all the haggises, they provide food and wool and look really cute :puppyeyes:

(meh, poor man doesn't have much to work with)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Ok we can kill the Scottish gingers and some other scots :woo: (but leave the English ones alone (except for your bro of course))

I don't want to kill all the haggises, they provide food and wool and look really cute :puppyeyes:

(meh, poor man doesn't have much to work with)
    Hagises don't provide wool!?

ReputationRep:
    Whats the GCSE thing ?
    ed says it doesn't matter but for courses like history and english they require a specific number of a*s at gcse, im not sure how many though.
    but thats not for your course so dw

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i got it wrong, its just a business course. anyway you asked for my subjects and predicted grades. do you think theyre good ? (please say what you think)
    what are they?

ReputationRep:
    Well im currently taking and predicted grades :
    Applied Business Studies (Double Award) BB
    Applied ICT B
    Art A-B
    Thats them

ReputationRep:
    Hagises don't provide wool!?
    Yes they do, they are a one legged sheep that live in the Highlands. The bit we eat is there stomach that gets all knotted up due to the cold, duh !

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i got it wrong, its just a business course. anyway you asked for my subjects and predicted grades. do you think theyre good ?
    I was going to say, I thought you were talking about the postgrad management programme!

Well, they are solid (all Bs, maybe the one A). Newcastle and Northumbria have the highest standard offer (ABB) with Durham's BBB (although some offers may be higher).

First of all I think you'll need at least a B in GCSE maths (and also English for Newcastle), do you have the Bs?

Your subject choices may be a problem. Picking up AS English which may help but are you sure you can cope with the workload? It's difficult to say whether or not your subject choices will hold you back for Durham or Newcastle. Durham's business school do seem slightly more accepting of alternative subjects and vocational A-levels than other faculties. I'm sure they'll treat you as an individual so I certainly wouldn't write off your chances at all. What they may do, if you have all the other qualities they are looking for (strong personal statement, references) is give you a slightly higher offer (so ABB instead of BBB) but it's equally likely that, should you get an offer, it'll be BBB.

Have you got any work experience? Not everything is grades, don't underestimate the importace of your personal statement.

Without confusing things too much, if you do apply to Durham have you thought about which college? It doesn't affect your chances of getting in, I'm just interested.

Also, if Newcastle, Northumbria and Durham reject you would you really be happy enough going to Sunderland or Teesside? I'm not disrespecting them at all, but it needs to be asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Yes they do, they are a one legged sheep that live in the Highlands. The bit we eat is there stomach that gets all knotted up due to the cold, duh !

:yep:
    :ninja:

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    ed says it doesn't matter but for courses like history and english they require a specific number of a*s at gcse, im not sure how many though.
    but thats not for your course so dw
    Possibly not even English. They may do but they interview English applicants so that would make it less likely. There's only one department that open admits it and that's history so I wouldn't want anyone assuming that you need to have A*s to do to any other subject at Durham.

ReputationRep:
    :ninja:

:confused:
    What did you think Haggises are ?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie!)
    If you want to stay up north, stay up north!
    I'm going north =]
    :ditto: You don't have to move to the other side of the country to have a good experience at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snail_87)
    I don't see the point in going to uni and experiencing life away from home, if you aren't going to move more than 20 miles down the road.

It's like people always going all the way across the world on holiday, when we have some of the most beautiful scenery right on our doorstep.
    This doesn't make any sense. but OP your choices are OK, they're quite varied, realistic and at the same time ambitious. but i'll add lancaster instead of teeside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x y z)
    You don't have to move to the other side of the country to have a good experience at university.
    precisely! unless youe parents will make you live at home if its anywher near =p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    What did you think Haggises are ?!
    food, maded from sheep guts...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I was going to say, I thought you were talking about the postgrad management programme!

Well, they are solid (all Bs, maybe the one A). Newcastle and Northumbria have the highest standard offer (ABB) with Durham's BBB (although some offers may be higher).

First of all I think you'll need at least a B in GCSE maths (and also English for Newcastle), do you have the Bs?

Your subject choices may be a problem. Picking up AS English which may help but are you sure you can cope with the workload? It's difficult to say whether or not your subject choices will hold you back for Durham or Newcastle. Durham's business school do seem slightly more accepting of alternative subjects and vocational A-levels than other faculties. I'm sure they'll treat you as an individual so I certainly wouldn't write off your chances at all. What they may do, if you have all the other qualities they are looking for (strong personal statement, references) is give you a slightly higher offer (so ABB instead of BBB) but it's equally likely that, should you get an offer, it'll be BBB.

Have you got any work experience? Not everything is grades, don't underestimate the importace of your personal statement.

Without confusing things too much, if you do apply to Durham have you thought about which college? It doesn't affect your chances of getting in, I'm just interested.

Also, if Newcastle, Northumbria and Durham reject you would you really be happy enough going to Sunderland or Teesside? I'm not disrespecting them at all, but it needs to be asked.
    Well i have GCSE English C and GCSE maths D (re-sitting the complete course in year 13 because i was off alot in year 11 so i couldnt do the work, however i should get a B/C)

Yes i have work experience, i worked voluntarily in a small legal firm every saturday for a year.

I would be happy to go to sunderland, but i dont know about teeside because i havent visited that uni yet.

and for your question on durhams college, no i havent thought about that yet.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.