The Student Room Group

University of nicosia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theIVlineYT
Hey guys :smile:

4th Year MD student and University of Nicosia here.

Studied my bachelors in the UK.

More than happy to answer any specific questions you may have :smile:

Hi

Could you give your view on the accomodation: which would you recommend, and are they air-conditioned??
Also I appreciate its a large university, is the medical block/buildings integrated or separate to the rest of the university
And are there many extra curricular/ sporting activities on offer

Hi - I was just wondering, as you arrived as a graduate why did you do the 6 year MD course rather than the 4 year graduate MBBS course??

Whats your view on the accomodation, what have you experienced in your 4 years at the uni??
How often have do you go home since starting the course??

Sorry to ask lots of questions:
where do you normally fly into from the UK, and what is the transfer time to the university.
how easy is it to get around while studying - are most places in walking distance/ cycling/ by car/ public transport
what sort of mix is there on the course - are more students from a particular country?? UK/ US/ etc..
Original post by Loonylexie
Hi

Could you give your view on the accomodation: which would you recommend, and are they air-conditioned??
Also I appreciate its a large university, is the medical block/buildings integrated or separate to the rest of the university
And are there many extra curricular/ sporting activities on offer

Hey. Ill reply to all your questions in this one reply if thats okay :smile:

1. The accomodations from what i have heard are nice and cozy however can be quite small at times, as they are all studios. When i was in the beginning years, there was only one accomodation avaialable known as "unihalls" it wasn't the best, but it did the job and it was cheap and from what i know all of them are airconditioned. It is quite difficult in cyprus to find a house that is NOT airconditioned.
The univeirsty is large and there is one big main campus where lectures are held and this is where you will be from year 1-3 for LECTURES. The medical school does have its own big building where the anatomy labs, the clinical skills labs, PBL rooms and library are avaialble. You will be int he medical school once or twice a week for classes on clinical and comm skills and to use the anatomy labs and library. The distance between the university and the medical school buildings is around a 10-15 minute walk.
There are some activities such as yoga and dance and gym etc etc, and there are some societies and clubs such as the surgical society, vegetarian society etc etc - but its not the best as they are still working on improvement.

2. I chose the MD program because i wanted to have the whole world as an option. i was informed that with an MBBS you are limited to the UK and the degree isn't really appreciated in other countries in europe or US. So i decided to do the MD program instead even though now i have decided that i want to work in the UK.

3. Since year 1. I go home only during summer because i live in africa and it takes me 23 hours to get home because of transit time. So i can't be bothered to go back during christmas. But if you live one flight away or close like the UK, christmas, easter and summer could be times you could go back.

4. The closest airport to Nicosia is larnaca airport. The airport is around a 45 minute drive to Nicosia. You have shuttles available like "kapnos airport shuttle" which you can google and book a ticket and they dorp you in town in nicosia and then you can grab a taxi to your accomodation. OR you can book a taxi service called travelexpress and you let them know what time you land and they drop you directly to your doorstep, both of these are less than €15.

5. The university is in a small town in itself, which is near a mall, bunch of shopping places, food courts, gyms, etc etc.. so from the university almost everything is max 20 minute walk away. There are scooters around now for rent for students, or you can invest in a bicycyle - its quite safe as long as you don't drive on the roads and use the cycle roads. The best is to invest in a car after year 2 in my opinion as it will be easy to get around and once you start placements in year 4, you will be used to driving around and won't have trouble going to different hospitals. or you could just tag along with a friend who has a car.

6. The mix is majority Greek / Cypriot students with UK students. Then there is the small % of lebanese, nigerian, Canadian, American, Australian, etc etc.. so there is quite a mix but UK and cyprus/greece are in majority.

Hope this helped :smile:
Thank you so much
Hi I just received an offer for October 2021, and I need to make my decision quite quickly so I have some questions :smile:I have heard that the teaching is doctors reading off of lecture slides which were made in the UK, with varying degrees of collaboration, is this true? I really learn best from an interactive dialogue between teacher and students, where I feel able to interject and ask questions, would I be able to do this at Nicosia?What is student life like? House parties/ nightlife/shopping?I am a bit concerned because I am quite academic, I love my school work (I am an IB student so I enjoy being challenged in this way) and get great results. I am worried that the atmosphere at Nicosia will be too academically relaxed, I know it is a medical school so will be challenging, but do you feel like it was ever too easy or not stimulating to be around classmates who POTENTIALLY (I know this is probably just in my head pls no offence intended I just want to be sure it is the right environment for me) are less motivated to study and less likely to succeed?Are there opportunities to become student voice (for example student council or ambassador)Thank you so much, I would really value your time and input for dis future UNIC student :smile:))))
Original post by savannaarin
Hi I just received an offer for October 2021, and I need to make my decision quite quickly so I have some questions :smile:I have heard that the teaching is doctors reading off of lecture slides which were made in the UK, with varying degrees of collaboration, is this true? I really learn best from an interactive dialogue between teacher and students, where I feel able to interject and ask questions, would I be able to do this at Nicosia?What is student life like? House parties/ nightlife/shopping?I am a bit concerned because I am quite academic, I love my school work (I am an IB student so I enjoy being challenged in this way) and get great results. I am worried that the atmosphere at Nicosia will be too academically relaxed, I know it is a medical school so will be challenging, but do you feel like it was ever too easy or not stimulating to be around classmates who POTENTIALLY (I know this is probably just in my head pls no offence intended I just want to be sure it is the right environment for me) are less motivated to study and less likely to succeed?Are there opportunities to become student voice (for example student council or ambassador)Thank you so much, I would really value your time and input for dis future UNIC student :smile:))))

Hi - I’m nearly at the end of my first semester. The university is very efficient and have managed superbly around covid restrictions with a blended approach of face to face, tutorials, lab work and lectures The course is well established and very organised. We’ve all just had the results back from our mid term exams so you do have to be academically focussed throughout the course to make sure you pass the mid term and end of semester exams. I’m in the ‘U’ accommodation which is nice and don’t have to worry about added complexities like bills/ WiFi etc. There is a lot of private accommodation which I might consider next year, not sure yet. Nicosia is a bit of a mix with the locals and student town. Good night and parties available, it’s also a bit of coffee culture. It’s hot in the summer months so late evenings people are out when it’s cooler. I play football and badminton and weekends in the summer have gone to the beach. I was concerned about studying here but so far it’s far exceeded my expectations compared to UK alternative uni. Hope that helps
No it’s not reading off lecture notes from the UK. It’s a well established course. I’m doing the 6 year MD course which I get the impression is different to the 4 year MBBS course run in conjunction with St George’s London which might be, this is only a guess, a bit more scripted to align with the course in London
Hi - I’m nearly at the end of my first semester. The university is very efficient and have managed superbly around covid restrictions with a blended approach of face to face, tutorials, lab work and lectures The course is well established and very organised. We’ve all just had the results back from our mid term exams so you do have to be academically focussed throughout the course to make sure you pass the mid term and end of semester exams. I’m in the ‘U’ accommodation which is nice and don’t have to worry about added complexities like bills/ WiFi etc. There is a lot of private accommodation which I might consider next year, not sure yet. Nicosia is a bit of a mix with the locals and student town. Good night and parties available, it’s also a bit of coffee culture. It’s hot in the summer months so late evenings people are out when it’s cooler. I play football and badminton and weekends in the summer have gone to the beach. I was concerned about studying here but so far it’s far exceeded my expectations compared to UK alternative uni. Hope that helps

omg you just confirmed my love for the school lolol. Thank you!! and see you October, probably!
Hey I've got a question. Do I have to accept the Nicosia offer immediately or can I wait until I get all of my UK offers to make a decision ?
omg you just confirmed my love for the school lolol. Thank you!! and see you October, probably!

I had the same concerns before I considered accepting but, so far, it’s all been better than I ever expected. There are pros and cons to everything (e.g due to covid I can’t get home for Xmas) but I genuinely would recommend this course/ place to study.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey I've got a question. Do I have to accept the Nicosia offer immediately or can I wait until I get all of my UK offers to make a decision ?

I think when you accept the offer you have to pay a deposit so you give some commitment. Also the more desirable university accommodation fills up quicker.
I think when you accept the offer you have to pay a deposit so you give some commitment. Also the more desirable university accommodation fills up quicker.

But can I wait? How much is the deposit?
Original post by Anonymous
But can I wait? How much is the deposit?

I am an international student, not sure if its the same or different for UK/EU students, but my deposit fee is Euro 1,000

Not sure where you heard the teaching thing from. Majority of the doctors, professors prepare their own slides with maybe one or two professors that use other professors lectures with permission from them etc. All classes are interactive and if you have a question and want to discuss things it will be answered.
Student life is literally what YOU want it to be. I know people who go clubbing 2-3 times a week, i know people who only go to the library and cafes, i know people who only stay at home, i know people who do a mixture. There are a number of house parties that you can attend if you want. its not compulsory ofcourse. Shopping is a bit limited. There are stores but not ALOT. online shopping through ASOS and H&M and Next is nice and cheap though.
I graduated from IB too in 2013, it's hard to say 'a university is academically relaxed" because its all subjective. If you surround yourself with people that do not study and you do not take any initiative to study then you will slack. If you know when you need to work and you plan your studying time, you will be fine. Hypothetically speaking, if 99% of all students were relaxed, it shouldn't affect you if you have the desire to work hard and earn good grades. University has a mixture of students, from relaxed, to mixed, to really motivated students, so you will ALWAYS find someone to stimulate you.
Yes, there are many roles to take up as a student, many societies etc as well.

Goodluck with everything

Hii. Is it mandatory to clear usmle step one to progress to phase 3. Or just Greek language is enough
Original post by munishjoneja
Hii. Is it mandatory to clear usmle step one to progress to phase 3. Or just Greek language is enough

Hey Munish.
No USMLE is no longer mandatory.

Neither is greek. UNLESS you plan on working in Cyprus. Greek will be helpful to learn to communicate better. However, it is NOT compulsory to pass greek.
Hey Munish.
No USMLE is no longer mandatory.

Neither is greek. UNLESS you plan on working in Cyprus. Greek will be helpful to learn to communicate better. However, it is NOT compulsory to pass greek.

Thank you very much for the reply. So in general how is the atmosphere / learning. Student crowd ? That fills the seats every year ? I m sure lot of goods. Any particular drawback or things to be taken care? I m sure academic excellence and clearing each phase is up to the input of the student and much hard work is required. After all it’s Medicine.
Original post by munishjoneja
Thank you very much for the reply. So in general how is the atmosphere / learning. Student crowd ? That fills the seats every year ? I m sure lot of goods. Any particular drawback or things to be taken care? I m sure academic excellence and clearing each phase is up to the input of the student and much hard work is required. After all it’s Medicine.

Last question please. Is the degree recognised by GMC UK straightaway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending