Who should replace Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader? Watch

Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I just joined the Labour Party so I can get a vote. It is time for the soft left and centre-left to oust the Corbynista cult. If we don't, Boris will win again in 2024.

Personally, I want Jess Phillips as leader.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Tony Blair :yes:

418 Labour MPs in 1997 :sexface:
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Tony Blair :yes:

418 seats in 1997 :perv:
RIP his seat though
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
RIP his seat though
Get him back to Sedgefield in 2024, and his 25,143 labour majority (in 1997) will come back :yep:
username3941996
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don’t think the centre or soft left will do any better. Most of them are remain and the seats we lost were leave. So how would they do any better?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A leader would be a step forward, as that is where Mr Corbyn has failed.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Here are the current bookies odds:

Keir Starmer : 10/3 (23%)
Rebecca Long Bailey : 7/2 (22%)
Angela Rayner : 5/1 (17%)
Jess Phillips : 6/1 (14%)
Lisa Nandy : 9/1 (10%)
Yvette Cooper : 16/1 (6%)
David Miliband : 20/1 (5%)
Emily Thornberry : 20/1 (5%)
Clive Lewis : 22/1 (4%)
Tony Blair : 200/1 (0.5%)
username3941996
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
A leader would be a step forward, as that is where Mr Corbyn has failed.
A soft left or centre left Leader would have done just as bad as Corbyn honestly. Tony Blair actually supported a second referendum. Do you see him doing better in the north?
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Before Labour elect a new leader they need to sort themselves out internally first and decide who they are as a party and who they are going to be for.

They're currently the party of the young, possibly the more metropolitan young, but that demographic isn't big enough for them to challenge the Tories. Their traditional unionised working class demographic doesn't exist in large enough numbers anymore, and the policies that'd get them back on-board may not be popular with their new, younger, metropolitaner voters. That's a key lesson for them from this election, actually: you can't simultaneously appeal to two some disparate groups of voters.

They'll probably appoint an interim, or short term, leader from one of the current big names. But their next leader to successfully challenge the Tories will probably be someone who is relatively unknown at the moment.
Snufkin
(Original post by Professional G)
I don’t think the centre or soft left will do any better. Most of them are remain and the seats we lost were leave. So how would they do any better?
Jess Phillips is vocally remain and her seat is leave. She won. Might be worth looking at her approach? At any rate, we will have left the EU by next month so Brexit doesn't really matter anymore.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
Here are the current bookies odds:...Tony Blair : 200/1 (0.5%)
It's not as unexpected as I thought.

P.S. Thanks for the odds list.
Snufkin
A soft left or centre left Leader would have done just as bad as Corbyn honestly. Tony Blair actually supported a second referendum. Do you see him doing better in the north?
Labour lost 2 million votes to pro-Remain parties and 400,000 votes to pro-Brexit parties. The sooner people drop the pretence that this was all because of Brexit, the better chance Labour has of winning next time. Polling clearly shows that the main reason people did not vote labour was because of Corbyn and the manifesto. So let's address those issues.
username3941996
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
Jess Phillips is vocally remain and her seat is leave. She won. Might be worth looking at her approach? At any rate, we will have left the EU by next month so Brexit doesn't really matter anymore.
She doesn’t sound like the best leader for a pro Brexit Labour. Her approach was already done. Don’t you remember Blair? And I hardly think parts of labour would want a another centre left friend of Israel leader again.
username3941996
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Labour lost 2 million votes to pro-Remain parties and 400,000 votes to pro-Brexit parties. The sooner people drop the pretence that this was all because of Brexit, the better chance Labour has of winning next time. Polling clearly shows that the main reason people did not vote labour was because of Corbyn and the manifesto. So let's address those issues.
Yet those 400,000 votes were important since they are what cost the majority of seats. Lib dems despite running on a remain stance only got 11. The seats Labour lost were mostly leave seats with many of the MPs having served there for years. Essentially it was vote for Brexit or Vote for remain.
Jgradschool
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
At least in my mind, they need someone:
- from a community that is made up primarily of unskilled manual workers
- not as left-wing as Jeremy Corbyn
- a bit more left-wing than Tony Blair
- who can take a stance and exhibit natural leadership
- who handles themselves authentically
- with a clean past
- who seems credible to the media and can maintain a good relationship with them
- open to Brexit from a 'will of the people' standpoint, but aware of the pitfalls that the process has, so at least mildly pro-Brexit from a public-facing standpoint

It's a lot to ask for, but if they can find someone like that they've got a shot at winning power again IMO
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A leader would have made a decision about Brexit. The garden fence in Islington thankfully doesn't have splinters.
Brexit will be a different issue, and any thoughts of trying to stop it will go. Though Brexit is not done by then, as a good trade deal needs to be agreed and will probably take longer than a year unless Mr Johnson just agrees to all the EU want (possible as he does not do detail).

Jess Phillips does not avoid or appease on the issue of anti-semitism I understand.
jakeob
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Keir Starmer
username3941996
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Brexit will be a different issue, and any thoughts of trying to stop it will go. Though Brexit is not done by then, as a good trade deal needs to be agreed and will probably take longer than a year unless Mr Johnson just agrees to all the EU want (possible as he does not do detail).

Jess Phillips does not avoid or appease on the issue of anti-semitism I understand.
I rather sit on the garden fence then have Labour commit suicide by joining the remain side. Imagine what would have happened if they did?
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Keir Starmer or Rebecca Long Bailey
generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The problem that you have is that the talent pool to draw from is now very small. 202 seats is a very small number. Plus they are mostly London Remainers who are toxic in the Midlands, North and Wales, let alone Scotland.

You don't really have any outstanding candidates.

But you know what? I think the problem is far far deeper than that. You are meant to be the voice of organised labour. The working class, the common people. The clue is in your name.

When the working class regard you with utter contempt, when they completely despise you, you have to ask what you are even for.

I think there needs to be a new party of the centre left. Fiscally responsible, progressive without the divisive identity politics nonsense, sensible, patriotic and trustworthy.

But I see no signs of it. It could take ten years to form. If it ever does. Maybe the Lib Dems are the answer, but they need a total revamp too. At present they are neither Liberal not Democratic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (412)
67.21%
No (201)
32.79%

Watched Threads