dikshajassi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I have received conditional offers from both of the unis but I don't know which one to choose. Could you please give me more information on the accomodation, lecturers, student-lecturer support, ect?
Thank you!
M3ggi3Lou
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dikshajassi)
Hello, I have received conditional offers from both of the unis but I don't know which one to choose. Could you please give me more information on the accomodation, lecturers, student-lecturer support, ect?
Thank you!
Hi!

I am in my second year studying Digital Geoscience BSc at Royal Holloway (basically Geology but I have a coding module as well).

Accommodation-
You will get better, cheaper accommodation at Royal Holloway in comparison to UCL (and you still get the bigger London loan!). I personally stayed in butler halls and loved it, it was literally a 2 minute walk to the lecture room, local dining hall and coffee shop. You get a good sized room and decent ensuite, i would definitely recommend going for top band accommodation such as Tuke/Butler or George Eliot. I would NOT recommend Kingswood, its off campus and there are no lifts in the 3 story building, not great to get your tesco shop up to your flat!

Lecturers-
There is a real mixture, we have some older more traditional lecturers and some younger lecturers. There are a few that can be quite tough and harsh but they know what they're talking about- as long as you show some interest they'll like you well enough. In terms of how engaging they are it varies but over all i have enjoyed being taught by 90% of the lectures at ROHO.

Support-
Every year you get personal tutor who is responsible for a small group of undergrads (around 8), any time you have a problem you can contact them, arrange meeting etc. They're very useful. Lecturers in general are good at replying to emails and have drop i hours where you ca go talk to them about their course / and problems or questions you might have regarding assignments or the exam (as long as you don't go to them 30 mins before hand in!). You can also sign up to a peer guide scheme where they link you up with an older student on your course/ or has done your course (i signed up first year and they were very helpful).

Extra curricular-
There is also a Geology society called Lyell Geoscience Society, they host socials, networking events and short academic seminars throughout the year. There is also a formal held every February in the founders halls which is always great fun! Lyell has put me in contact with people from a wide range of industries and really helped me understand where i want to go post-uni.

Field trips-
Every year you have to pay approx £100 in fieldwork fees.
First year there are 4 trips:
1) Devon in the first few weeks of term 1. This just gets you all bonding and used to looking at rocks in situ. Its a 4 day trip.
2) Oxfordshire at the end of term one, its just a day trip. You basically go to a limestone quarry and hunt for fossils.
3) Charnwood, mid second term. An one day structural trip, its VERY cold. You basically sit exposed on the top of a hill measuring the outcropping rocks.
4) Pembroke (Wales), end of second term. 7 day trip, quite a bit of walking. Mixture of palaeo and sedimentology. I enjoyed it my year, but we got lucky with the weather!
Second year there are 2 trips:
1) West Scotland, few weeks into term 1. 7 days! Igneous and metamorphic geology field trip. A lot of travelling by coach and ferry. Some independent mapping, good trip to learn but not so fun... There is a good wetherspoons by the sea though!
2) Almeria, end of term 2. 2 weeks, much more fun i have heard, ill be going in a few weeks. Get to look at some interesting volcanics and get some gypsum.
Third year there is one trip:
1) Tenerife, end of term 1. A week of fun learning i have been told its more laid back and you get to go to the top of Mt. Teide.

Local Area-
Royal Holloway is no London but there is a fairly decent SU as far as SU's go. Plently of pubs (which i enjoy!). Windsor has ATIK if you're into clubbing. Staines has a VUE, good for a cheap weekend plan. Thope park is near by, can get there by bus and train or its cheaper to get a group together and uber. There isn't much in Egham itself but i know there is developments going on in the town at the moment.

Travel-
If you get the fast train its 39 mins to London, i tend to go for day trips a lot there. If you have a railcard its not expensive £6.95 return off-peak last time i went.

If you have any more questions by all means ask! I had to choose between Royal Holloway and UCL, i just prefer campus life and not having lectures in a London basement...

Meg
dikshajassi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by M3ggi3Lou)
Hi!

I am in my second year studying Digital Geoscience BSc at Royal Holloway (basically Geology but I have a coding module as well).

Accommodation-
You will get better, cheaper accommodation at Royal Holloway in comparison to UCL (and you still get the bigger London loan!). I personally stayed in butler halls and loved it, it was literally a 2 minute walk to the lecture room, local dining hall and coffee shop. You get a good sized room and decent ensuite, i would definitely recommend going for top band accommodation such as Tuke/Butler or George Eliot. I would NOT recommend Kingswood, its off campus and there are no lifts in the 3 story building, not great to get your tesco shop up to your flat!

Lecturers-
There is a real mixture, we have some older more traditional lecturers and some younger lecturers. There are a few that can be quite tough and harsh but they know what they're talking about- as long as you show some interest they'll like you well enough. In terms of how engaging they are it varies but over all i have enjoyed being taught by 90% of the lectures at ROHO.

Support-
Every year you get personal tutor who is responsible for a small group of undergrads (around 8), any time you have a problem you can contact them, arrange meeting etc. They're very useful. Lecturers in general are good at replying to emails and have drop i hours where you ca go talk to them about their course / and problems or questions you might have regarding assignments or the exam (as long as you don't go to them 30 mins before hand in!). You can also sign up to a peer guide scheme where they link you up with an older student on your course/ or has done your course (i signed up first year and they were very helpful).

Extra curricular-
There is also a Geology society called Lyell Geoscience Society, they host socials, networking events and short academic seminars throughout the year. There is also a formal held every February in the founders halls which is always great fun! Lyell has put me in contact with people from a wide range of industries and really helped me understand where i want to go post-uni.

Field trips-
Every year you have to pay approx £100 in fieldwork fees.
First year there are 4 trips:
1) Devon in the first few weeks of term 1. This just gets you all bonding and used to looking at rocks in situ. Its a 4 day trip.
2) Oxfordshire at the end of term one, its just a day trip. You basically go to a limestone quarry and hunt for fossils.
3) Charnwood, mid second term. An one day structural trip, its VERY cold. You basically sit exposed on the top of a hill measuring the outcropping rocks.
4) Pembroke (Wales), end of second term. 7 day trip, quite a bit of walking. Mixture of palaeo and sedimentology. I enjoyed it my year, but we got lucky with the weather!
Second year there are 2 trips:
1) West Scotland, few weeks into term 1. 7 days! Igneous and metamorphic geology field trip. A lot of travelling by coach and ferry. Some independent mapping, good trip to learn but not so fun... There is a good wetherspoons by the sea though!
2) Almeria, end of term 2. 2 weeks, much more fun i have heard, ill be going in a few weeks. Get to look at some interesting volcanics and get some gypsum.
Third year there is one trip:
1) Tenerife, end of term 1. A week of fun learning i have been told its more laid back and you get to go to the top of Mt. Teide.

Local Area-
Royal Holloway is no London but there is a fairly decent SU as far as SU's go. Plently of pubs (which i enjoy!). Windsor has ATIK if you're into clubbing. Staines has a VUE, good for a cheap weekend plan. Thope park is near by, can get there by bus and train or its cheaper to get a group together and uber. There isn't much in Egham itself but i know there is developments going on in the town at the moment.

Travel-
If you get the fast train its 39 mins to London, i tend to go for day trips a lot there. If you have a railcard its not expensive £6.95 return off-peak last time i went.

If you have any more questions by all means ask! I had to choose between Royal Holloway and UCL, i just prefer campus life and not having lectures in a London basement...

Meg
Thank you so much for such a detailed response! I really appreciate it. I think I'll definitely go with Royal Holloway as I also prefer a quiet setting and the uni campus has beautiful nature. My only worry is that the cost of travelling from Hillingdon, Hayes to the campus will be quite expensive as my parents are not letting me go live on campus. Do you have any more info on travel?
Thank you very much again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.78%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.63%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.78%

Watched Threads