The Student Room Group

Unsuccessful application

My application was unsuccessful and I have no idea why. Can anyone help me?
It could be that you didn’t have the grades they wanted for entry, it should say something via track but I’d contact the uni if you don’t know why. Or the course could have been full or withdrawn.
Reply 2
My grades are perfect. My personal statement is good. I sent an email to the uni and I'm still waiting for a reply. So maybe the course is full. I really don't know what to do
On track it gives a small sentence as to why you would’ve got rejected. Double check there.
What course and what university? It may just be that the course has a low acceptance rate, and simply doesn't have enough places for all the students with the right grades who apply.
Reply 5
Screenshot_20191214-133339_Chrome.jpgit just says the application was unsuccessful
Reply 6
Original post by LeapingLucy
What course and what university? It may just be that the course has a low acceptance rate, and simply doesn't have enough places for all the students with the right grades who apply.

Queens university Belfast . Adult nursing
Nursing is VERY competitive. It is not enough to just meet the grade/subject requirements.

All Unis will 'score' every application - GCSE profile, A levels etc and your Personal Statement.
They will look to see what practical experience you have of any sort of caring role, what relevant work experience you have, how you have described what you learnt from this, and they will look for your understanding of what the job involves, and your maturity, evidence of leadership etc etc. They then 'rank' your application score against everyone else's, and presumably your application score was not high enough to be offered an interview.

Thousands of people apply for Nursing. Most won't get an interview.

If you are still determined to do this, then you need to plan what you are going to do next year to increase your chances. You need to get the best possible grades you can, then organise relevant paid work for next year - anything that involves front-line care like working in an Aged Care Home, Special School, Hospice etc. Then reapply next year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant
Nursing is VERY competitive. It is not enough to just meet the grade/subject requirements.

All Unis will 'score' every application - GCSE profile, A levels etc and your Personal Statement.
They will look to see what practical experience you have of any sort of caring role, what relevant work experience you have, how you have described what you learnt from this, and they will look for your understanding of what the job involves, and your maturity, evidence of leadership etc etc. They then 'rank' your application score against everyone else's, and presumably your application score was not high enough to be offered an interview.

Thousands of people apply for Nursing. Most won't get an interview.

If you are still determined to do this, then you need to plan what you are going to do next year to increase your chances. You need to get the best possible grades you can, then organise relevant paid work for next year - anything that involves front-line care like working in an Aged Care Home, Special School, Hospice etc. Then reapply next year.

Thanks 😔
Original post by Lisabestman
Queens university Belfast . Adult nursing

That course has an 18% offer rate. The vast majority of applicants will have the right grades and good personal statements - sadly it isn't enough to be guaranteed a place.

https://university.which.co.uk/queens-university-belfast-q75/courses/nursing-adult-september-bsc-hons-2020-33d92fa41344
Dont be discouraged! It can be done! Believe me, I got into childrens nursing 3rd time lucky!
Just use the time you have now to better yourself and get the experience you need.
Volunteer, do extra qualifications (I did a foundation degree in health and social care) work in the caring sector. All these will help build you as a person and the skills you need to be a nurse, also shows them you dont give up!
Your personal statement must have not been strong enough compared to others, but with experience you can include that next time to make it more developed. Also try to make it extremely nursing focused always relating back to the role and qualities of a nurse :smile:
Thank you so much.
Original post by Lisabestman
Thanks 😔

Don't be disheartened! There are plenty more amazing universities out there that I'm sure will be proud of accepting you. Check UCAS or Whatuni for alternative places.
The first step is all about your personal statement, make sure you put your skills and how they relate to nursing. Ask someone to help you. I applied last year and got a place, first-year applying and coming from an access course. I didn't make the grade, for bereavement reasons, but I got into the course I wanted in the first place, so I'm happy BUT the whole process/step thing is a nightmare, stressful lol I will never put myself through that again, I think is easier moving to England or Scotland and applying there lol. Don't give up if it is really what you want.. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest