Getting an iPad for uni

Watch this thread
Dibit
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m going to uni next year (hopefully) and my old laptop is painfully slow and clunky, also my graphics tablet it failing.
So I thought for uni I’d combine the 2 together and get an iPad. However, I’m not sure how much storage I need for taking notes, making art and other laptop esc stuff. Also I’m not sure if it is worth the price as apple is expensive. (Although the price of a separated laptop and graphics tablet it also large).
I’ll likely keep my laptop for extra storage if I need it.
Do you think getting an iPad is a good idea? Also what storage and model should I get?
Thank you
Annie1124
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I am a high school student and I use iPad to take notes during class.
Pros
For me, it is quite convenient as you can work, draw, and taking notes on your e-textbooks which save a lot of money and can also save time to find the right page.
Additionally, it has little weight and bringing one iPad with all my books in it really help my back a lot, especially my classroom is on the fifth floor and I have to go up and down several times everyday.
Thirdly, it can help you save a lot of stuffs on your iPhone and iCloud.(iCloud has driven me crazy
Finally, purchasing an iPad as a student is not that expensive. For I am an art student and I love downloading a lot of pictures, musics and movies, I bought the latest iPad Pro (it has the best configuration among all iPads which is not really needed for most students for most subjects) with 256G and the latest apple pen, the price was about 750 pounds. It can be much cheaper when you are a student for discounts or sales. Microsoft office is also available on iPad and most schools prepare students with the account, so it doesn’t cost much. The notability or other notes taking apps are worth the price.
Cons
You still need a lap top. It is very important because you can find most apps you want but not all. I still recommend preparing a laptop for emergencies or maybe some experiments and I feel laptops are still important.
If you work a lot on iPad, you’d better purchase a keyboard as well.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Also, surface is a good choice, they have better configuration, more compatible to most software and Windows are still mainstream(I think), but they are heavier, and for the pens are not accurate enough, taking notes with them is not that comfortable compared to that on an iPad.
##### Though I am a high school student, I hope my reply can help you.
Wish you have a nice college life😊
Annie1124
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I am a high school student and I use iPad to take notes during class.
Pros
For me, it is quite convenient as you can work, draw, and taking notes on your e-textbooks which save a lot of money and can also save time to find the right page.
Additionally, it has little weight and bringing one iPad with all my books in it really help my back a lot, especially my classroom is on the fifth floor and I have to go up and down several times everyday.
Thirdly, it can help you save a lot of stuffs on your iPhone and iCloud.(iCloud has driven me crazy
Finally, purchasing an iPad as a student is not that expensive. For I am an art student and I love downloading a lot of pictures, musics and movies, I bought the latest iPad Pro (it has the best configuration among all iPads which is not really needed for most students for most subjects) with 256G and the latest apple pen, the price was about 750 pounds. It can be much cheaper when you are a student for discounts or sales. Microsoft office is also available on iPad and most schools prepare students with the account, so it doesn’t cost much. The notability or other notes taking apps are worth the price.
Cons
You still need a lap top. It is very important because you can find most apps you want but not all. I still recommend preparing a laptop for emergencies or maybe some experiments and I feel laptops are still important.
If you work a lot on iPad, you’d better purchase a keyboard as well.

Also, surface is a good choice, they have better configuration, more compatible to most software and Windows are still mainstream(I think), but they are heavier, and for the pens are not accurate enough, taking notes with them is not that comfortable compared to that on an iPad.
##### Though I am a high school student, I hope my reply can help you.
Wish you have a nice college life😊
Dibit
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (144)
42.11%
Not yet, but I will soon (62)
18.13%
No (136)
39.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed