Funnnn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Are combined English, history and politics a good combo? Are they manageable? Are they enjoyable? Are they well respected?
Last edited by Funnnn; 1 month ago
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Combined English? Goodness no English Literature is better. But do you want to do 3 humanity / essay subjects? That doesn’t really diversify your skill set, I do two humanities and a science which I like to be able to contrast what I do and make my a levels a bit more interesting and diverse.
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It really depends on you whether or not they're enjoyable, but as someone who takes Eng lit, History and French, I'd err towards yes. Research the specifications and ensure that you like the contents. Also, remember that all three involves heavy amounts of writing and researching. In terms of respect from unis, English lit is a facilitating subject, but I don't know about combined. Many unis say that it's useful to have at least 2 facilitating subject A levels, but it really isn't always necessary. Take what you enjoy now, but remember that whatever you take, there will be times when it just isn't fun - no subject's perfect!
casabonita
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
my friend takes english lit, history, politics, and film studies. it's a great combo of a levels if you want to do something like law or english at uni! i would say that unis respect english lit more than english combined, but if you're not aiming for oxbridge/top unis, just take the one u like the most

and i dont think it matters if ur a levels arent diverse if you know what u want to do at uni - if you want to keep your options open however, consider maths or a science
InJailOutSoon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't do combined English, do English literature. it's manageable, more respected and kinda fun. Also, be aware that politics is a soft subject so if you wanna get into a good uni do something harder. I do bio, chem and eng lit and I'm dying lmao but ik it'll be worth it in the end!
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Combined English? Goodness no English Literature is better. But do you want to do 3 humanity / essay subjects? That doesn’t really diversify your skill set, I do two humanities and a science which I like to be able to contrast what I do and make my a levels a bit more interesting and diverse.
But then, a range of subjects isn't really helpful unless you have a range of interests... although writing essays can get a bit samey, the essays for all of the three are so different that it's not really such a big deal. But I'd agree that if you don't know what you want to do in the future, a broader range might help.
Funnnn
Rep:
?
(Original post by InJailOutSoon)
Don't do combined English, do English literature. it's manageable, more respected and kinda fun. Also, be aware that politics is a soft subject so if you wanna get into a good uni do something harder. I do bio, chem and eng lit and I'm dying lmao but ik it'll be worth it in the end!
Really? I heard politics was quite well respected?
Funnnn
Rep:
?
(Original post by casabonita)
my friend takes english lit, history, politics, and film studies. it's a great combo of a levels if you want to do something like law or english at uni! i would say that unis respect english lit more than english combined, but if you're not aiming for oxbridge/top unis, just take the one u like the most

and i dont think it matters if ur a levels arent diverse if you know what u want to do at uni - if you want to keep your options open however, consider maths or a science
Are you saying that I won’t get into a top uni with combined English?
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It sounds like a cracking assortment, honestly. I personally would err away from combined English, as you get only a surface understanding of Literature and Language. However, if you are not interested in degree level English, then I suppose it's fine. You could always see if you can do both lang and lit and then drop the one you like less?

Deggs_14 redmeercat
Stop talking about facilitating subjects. Those, on the whole, are not used by the Russel Group anymore. You are spreading misinformation.

OP, so long as you don't want to take STEM, economics/finance or art/music at university, your combination is great and will get you onto most courses.
Funnnn
Rep:
?
Gimme more opinions!!!
InJailOutSoon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Funnnn)
Really? I heard politics was quite well respected?
God no. that's why some sixth forms don't even have it as a subject, as it's not respected and not many people do it anyway.
casabonita
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Funnnn)
Are you saying that I won’t get into a top uni with combined English?
no you easily could, ive just heard that english lit is more respected than combined
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (44)
26.35%
1 (27)
16.17%
2 (30)
17.96%
3 (23)
13.77%
4 (10)
5.99%
5 (15)
8.98%
6 (3)
1.8%
7+ (15)
8.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise