bennyj901
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Correct me if I am wrong but the current state of the railway system in the UK is as follows:

Private companies run trains and services on government owned railway tracks.

If this is the case, should the tracks themselves be handed over to the train companies that use them?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bennyj901)
Correct me if I am wrong but the current state of the railway system in the UK is as follows:

If this is the case, should the tracks themselves be handed over to the train companies that use them?
they tried that, it failed. No private company can manage the infrastructure required for railways, either as a commercial operation (too expensive) or in terms of scale (insufficient power over planning issues etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privat...f_British_Rail
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not quite. Network Rail is independent of the government and is non-profit. It is the most bizarre set up imaginable. Government sponsored monopolies given licenses to extract profits as they see fit.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Government sponsored monopolies given licenses to extract profits as they see fit.
Actually, it is more like government sponsored monopolies trussed up in straitjackets incapable of innovation until they go bust caught in the winds of economic uncertainty.

Do you realise that train operating companies are prohibited from buying second-hand trains? They have to lease them even though it would be more sensible to buy the older stock outright.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Not quite. Network Rail is independent of the government and is non-profit. It is the most bizarre set up imaginable.
I was under the impression it was effectively a quango? Being a part of the DfT even if they dont meddle in its affairs.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bennyj901)

It's more like private companies bid for routes that are put out to tender, with conditions attached. The services aren't exactly free from state control.

Train companies operating the tracks is effectively what Railtrack was - a consortium, jointly operating. Because, of course, several routes and operators can use the same bits of track, the same stations etc. It didn't work very well.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Actually, it is more like government sponsored monopolies trussed up in straitjackets incapable of innovation until they go bust caught in the winds of economic uncertainty.

Do you realise that train operating companies are prohibited from buying second-hand trains? They have to lease them even though it would be more sensible to buy the older stock outright.
Agreed and I did know this. But regulation is required because public services and private company businesses don't mix.

A business running a service would try to run the minimum service at the highest cost. So with freedom and innovation as you put it, most London bound trains would be first class only. And all those half emplty trains would be cancelled.

Same with the NHS. I note that private companies are only taking on all the high volumn, high profit easy stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (213)
53.25%
No (187)
46.75%

Watched Threads