When to apply for Bursaries/Scholarships and accommodation? Watch

Shiro_A
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Post 3 of the day~ wooh~
So, I have sent off my UCAS application recently (I know I know, I'm late to the party) but one of my concerns due to lack of knowledge is about applying for accommodation and bursaries/scholarships. The thing which I find a tad confusing is why you need to apply for them before sitting your A-Levels, what happens if you don't want to go to that university and it was a 'just in case' sorta thing.

So, when do apply for the extra stuff at university?
Why do you need to apply for the extra stuff before sitting the exams/finding out your results?
How does clearing work? (I'm paranoid, shhh)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Shiro_A)
Post 3 of the day~ wooh~
So, I have sent off my UCAS application recently (I know I know, I'm late to the party) but one of my concerns due to lack of knowledge is about applying for accommodation and bursaries/scholarships. The thing which I find a tad confusing is why you need to apply for them before sitting your A-Levels, what happens if you don't want to go to that university and it was a 'just in case' sorta thing.

So, when do apply for the extra stuff at university?
Why do you need to apply for the extra stuff before sitting the exams/finding out your results?
How does clearing work? (I'm paranoid, shhh)
1. If you have sent off your ucas form, then you are really waiting to go to open days and getting offers.
2. When you have offers, then you can look at accommodation and bursaries/ scholarships to see if they might influence your choice of uni.
3. Each uni has its own rules so you may wish to look into bursaries and see when the earliest you can apply is, some dont decide right up until the start of term and others decide before.
4. Accommodation in most cases can only be applied for if you firm the uni and you need to check the allocation plus application policy on the web page. It will accept applications sometime from April onwards and they may decide early or they may decide after results. They all differ.
5. It is just a case of doing research and understanding the deadlines.
6. You are only likely to have to research 2-5 unis , so just make a table.
7. Focus on grades for now and you are likely to need a £200-£400 deposit for accommodation.
8. Clearing can be entered once you hold no offers and you have your results.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (98)
13.05%
1 (94)
12.52%
2 (94)
12.52%
19.31%
22.5%
20.11%

Watched Threads