Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have recently started a new job where I will be working just over the summer before uni (they know this), and I have been told that we are paid monthly, but a month in hand, so I won't actually be getting paid for about 7 weeks, and will not get a full month's pay for another month after that, and by then I will be gone. I have been told that this is 'just the way it is there' but I am worried that if there is a problem with pay I will be at Uni and not in a position to complain, and therefore I will have effectively worked the whole summer for free.

Would it be reasonable to ask for an advance on my pay, and if so what is the etiquette for doing this, and how much to ask for and when etc?
    Thanks
    xx

ReputationRep:
    A month in hand is absolutely rediculous really when your being paid by the hour as opposed to earning a salary, but 'that's the way it is'. But you really needn't worry about not getting paid incorrectly, just make sure you hours are logged properly. If anything does go wrong, a telephone conversation would be enough to sort any issues out.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you working? Usually there would have had to have been a pay error in the first place for a company to consider a cash advance. Or you would need a very good reason and be a long serving employee. In my opinion it would be better not to ask. Being temporary the chances of them agreeing are very remote.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Just to let people know I no longer need this because I have just got a better job Working in finance and will be working more hours so can save more for uni yay!

ReputationRep:
    Well done. Hope it all works out.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.