Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a part time job as a waitress which I've had for just over 2 years, the pay isn't great at all and as I've left school and am having a gap year I want a full time job.

I've been handing in CV's absolutely everywhere and have been offered a job at a big chain coffee shop 35hr weeks £5.35 an hour.
    I'm unsure whether to take it, I need as much money as I can to go travelling next year and I just dont think that's going to cut it. A friend of mine has just got a job in a bakery at a big supermarket with 39 hours a week and 8 POUNDS AN HOUR!

Does anyone have any advice on where is best to go for the highest paid per hour jobs? (without obviously heading into a career with yearly salaries!)

ReputationRep:
    Try a call centre doing sales, decent basic rate, plus you have uncapped bonus earnings in some places.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd say go to a temping acgency and try maybe warehouse work. I'm on about £6.10 an hour in a packing room in a warehouse. Some of the jobs they have advertised are better paid though depending on experience etc

ReputationRep:
    I would say take it but carry on looking for a better paid one. At least that means you're getting money whilst you search, and that is better than nowt.

ReputationRep:
    Apply for Tesco, the jobs not the most exciting but at least the pay is good and its time and a half on sundays (for me a 17 year old, £7.50 isn't too bad) + the pay has just gone up again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Apply for Tesco, the jobs not the most exciting but at least the pay is good and its time and a half on sundays (for me a 17 year old, £7.50 isn't too bad) + the pay has just gone up again
    :ditto:

I've worked my way up and im on £8 an hour now, time and a half sundays too. There's usually overtime too.
    You should probably start on no less than £6 an hour.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get time and a half on a new contract anymore I'm afraid. But still its not a bad pay rate. Night shelf filling (or tills in a 24hr store) would probably be your best bet. The premiums are pretty good.

Tom x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    I would say take it but carry on looking for a better paid one. At least that means you're getting money whilst you search, and that is better than nowt.
    :ditto: you can always hand in your notice once you get a better offer

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.