Is NCS worth it Watch

FindGreatperhaps
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi so I am thinking of going on the NCS 'experience' from being told about it in school the other day. However, all of my friends are busy after gcse in the summer so i would be alone. Is it worth going alone or should i find something else to do during summer. Currently i have nothing planned at all
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's fine if you are alone, it's a great chance to make friends. I went without anyone I knew and made some good friends.

However, I didn't enjoy my NCS very much. There was a big split within our group, so it was very hard to work on things. It resulted because one girl already knew another girl, and had bullied her at her previous school. There was obviously bad blood between them, and the girl who'd had to move school ended up dropping out in the first week.

The university stay was also bad, since there was nothing to do. Although I've heard that's improved since 2016. The social action project was excruciating, because we couldn't just do fundraising, however I've heard that's also changed.

All in all, would I do it again? Probably yes. It was 4-5 weeks of stuff to do, and I met a few people I'm still in polite contact with. You can just stop turning up if it gets really awful.
Fpatel01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I went to the autumn programme and honestly I had so much fun and met a great bunch of people
Obviously everyone has different experiences but I was lucky enough to have a cool group
Last edited by Fpatel01; 1 month ago
Shiro_A
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FindGreatperhaps)
Hi so I am thinking of going on the NCS 'experience' from being told about it in school the other day. However, all of my friends are busy after gcse in the summer so i would be alone. Is it worth going alone or should i find something else to do during summer. Currently i have nothing planned at all
I did the autumn NCS which is over a 2 week period during the Autumn break (though it does go over). I did not go alone I did have my boyfriend with me (no PDA we acted as though we were simply friends on the trip).
My experience:
So, I think my experience was partially to blame on the area in which I live in and where NCS was hosted - Medway (a poor low-income area basically) and perhaps the poor luck of the people in my group. So we had a residential trip to an activity place which I, a socially awkward non-outdoorsy person, did enjoy, all of us felt closer, we were all the little bit less awkward. However, as soon as we got back, everyone kind of went back to their own bubbles which made things very hard when we had to do the charitable stuff and teamworking. Because it was the Autumn project, we did not stay at a university accommodation, which to be honest I was thankful for as after the residential trip the 2 other girls, aside from me, were getting a tad annoying. Anyways, the Autumn project is shorter which could be a good thing though it is very, very rushed. so that too ultimately played a part in my poor experience.
My reasoning for wanting to participate in NCS was for the skills and experience I 'gained', and I had been constantly been told that it is such a wonderful thing to mention in CV's and my personal statement- I have yet to hear anything from others When reading my CV or Personal statement and actually, I don't think many employers even know about it as when I was doing the fundraising part of the project and had to talk to businesses, I had to explain to them what NCS is.

Conclusion:
Anyways, personally I think I would have hated it completely if I didn't have someone I knew with me. Also, I'm glad I did it in year 12 in Autumn as there are fewer people on the program. I'm unsure exactly how beneficial it truly is and I know I'm not the only person to have had a poor experience (I have spent so much money on travel for NCS, when I think about it I tear up a tad). However, there are also those who thoroughly enjoy it, I have some friends in Nottingham who participated in the 2018 Summer one and really enjoyed their trip to Wales. (Oh yeah, there's 2 trips in summer but in Autumn you only go to the residential active place). I mean, it really depends on your values and interests, I personally think it would look better if you did volunteering by itself for a charity and then using the experience and skills for your advantage

Sidenote: Sorry, I didn't mean to write an entire essay, but I hope it helps you in some way c:
FindGreatperhaps
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fpatel01)
I went to the autumn programme and honestly I had so much fun and met a great bunch of people
Obviously everyone has different experiences but I was lucky enough to have a cool group
I'm glad you had a great time😁 did you go alone ??
FindGreatperhaps
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shiro_A)
I did the autumn NCS which is over a 2 week period during the Autumn break (though it does go over). I did not go alone I did have my boyfriend with me (no PDA we acted as though we were simply friends on the trip).
My experience:
So, I think my experience was partially to blame on the area in which I live in and where NCS was hosted - Medway (a poor low-income area basically) and perhaps the poor luck of the people in my group. So we had a residential trip to an activity place which I, a socially awkward non-outdoorsy person, did enjoy, all of us felt closer, we were all the little bit less awkward. However, as soon as we got back, everyone kind of went back to their own bubbles which made things very hard when we had to do the charitable stuff and teamworking. Because it was the Autumn project, we did not stay at a university accommodation, which to be honest I was thankful for as after the residential trip the 2 other girls, aside from me, were getting a tad annoying. Anyways, the Autumn project is shorter which could be a good thing though it is very, very rushed. so that too ultimately played a part in my poor experience.
My reasoning for wanting to participate in NCS was for the skills and experience I 'gained', and I had been constantly been told that it is such a wonderful thing to mention in CV's and my personal statement- I have yet to hear anything from others When reading my CV or Personal statement and actually, I don't think many employers even know about it as when I was doing the fundraising part of the project and had to talk to businesses, I had to explain to them what NCS is.

Conclusion:
Anyways, personally I think I would have hated it completely if I didn't have someone I knew with me. Also, I'm glad I did it in year 12 in Autumn as there are fewer people on the program. I'm unsure exactly how beneficial it truly is and I know I'm not the only person to have had a poor experience (I have spent so much money on travel for NCS, when I think about it I tear up a tad). However, there are also those who thoroughly enjoy it, I have some friends in Nottingham who participated in the 2018 Summer one and really enjoyed their trip to Wales. (Oh yeah, there's 2 trips in summer but in Autumn you only go to the residential active place). I mean, it really depends on your values and interests, I personally think it would look better if you did volunteering by itself for a charity and then using the experience and skills for your advantage

Sidenote: Sorry, I didn't mean to write an entire essay, but I hope it helps you in some way c:
Hi😊 thankyou so much, this helped alot. I'm trying to convince one of my friends to come but I'm more than certain she wont lol
Shiro_A
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi😊 thankyou so much, this helped alot. I'm trying to convince one of my friends to come but I'm more than certain she wont lol
Haha that's ok, it took me months to convince one person so I wish you the best of luck and if you decide to partake in NCS I hope you have a much better experience than I did
Fpatel01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm glad you had a great time😁 did you go alone ??
No I had two of my really close friends with me but there were quite a few people who came alone in my team but they managed to have a really good time and we became friends easily
Me and my group still talk so if you’re lucky to have a nice group of people then it will be fun
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (95)
49.22%
No (98)
50.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed