No idea where I want to apply, need to apply by the 16th Watch

HBaguette
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've got no idea where I want to apply to, where would actually take me, or how I'm going to get all this done in two days. I've missed every open day, got nothing but 4s and 5s on my GCSEs, had to resit English, and I'm doing a single BTEC, which I'm likely not going to do very well on.

I want to do something to do with IT, but from the little I've read those courses require you to have a maths A-level. My personal statement is mostly done, but it's still about 250 characters below the minimum. Apparently the deadline for applying is the 16th of December, and I really don't feel like I'm going to be able to do this on time.
5hyl33n
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds to me like you are a very lazy student. Coming on TSR and telling us about your problems is not helping either.
What have you been doing all this time?
e_1999
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
where are you applying? the ucas deadline is generally the 15th of january if ur not applying for medicine, dentistry, oxford, or cambridge

also im not entirely sure how english qualifications work since im scottish, but i assume there are also hnc/hnd courses down there ? is that what ur aiming for ?
bubblecat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
maybe university and academia just isnt for you? thats okay. maybe try looking into other opportunities.
HBaguette
Rep:
?
(Original post by bubblecat)
maybe university and academia just isnt for you? thats okay. maybe try looking into other opportunities.
The issue with that is I don't want to be living off 12K a year in a job I hate until I retire at age 75.
bubblecat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HBaguette)
The issue with that is I don't want to be living off 12K a year in a job I hate until I retire at age 75.
maybe you should’ve thought about that a few years before the deadline, not two days.
HBaguette
Rep:
?
(Original post by bubblecat)
maybe you should’ve thought about that a few years before the deadline, not two days.
Hindsight is 20/20.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've got no idea where I want to apply to, where would actually take me, or how I'm going to get all this done in two days. I've missed every open day, got nothing but 4s and 5s on my GCSEs, had to resit English, and I'm doing a single BTEC, which I'm likely not going to do very well on.

I want to do something to do with IT, but from the little I've read those courses require you to have a maths A-level. My personal statement is mostly done, but it's still about 250 characters below the minimum. Apparently the deadline for applying is the 16th of December, and I really don't feel like I'm going to be able to do this on time.
You say mostly 4 and 5. Can you state your actual grades and subjects, what BTEC and in what subject are you studying ie extended BTEC in IT. This might help giving you guidance. I assume 16/12 is your school deadline to allow them to get your references etc completed in time for the 15/1 which is the equal deadline for equal consideration. Most universities accept applicants after that date
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean, you could take a gap year? Work for a bit, maybe travel with Work Away or ICS or something. Decide if Uni is what you want to do, or if you'd rather go into a trade or an apprenticeship. Uni isn't necessarily the route into prosperity, especially if it is not a calculated move.

Many A level entry jobs can have good progression. My aunt (although she's in her 40s now) started as a cashier for Morrinson's, and she worked up to being a high level manager.

Life has a lot of options. Don't rush into one because you think you should.
e_1999
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Sounds to me like you are a very lazy student. Coming on TSR and telling us about your problems is not helping either.
What have you been doing all this time?
you do realise people can slip in education for many reasons, right?
mental health, finances, illness, external factors, etc.
also not to mention that the education system is made up of literal children....

you must be fun at parties
HBaguette
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
You say mostly 4 and 5. Can you state your actual grades and subjects, what BTEC and in what subject are you studying ie extended BTEC in IT. This might help giving you guidance. I assume 16/12 is your school deadline to allow them to get your references etc completed in time for the 15/1 which is the equal deadline for equal consideration. Most universities accept applicants after that date
English Language - 4
English Literature - 3
Maths - 4
History - 3
Computer Science - 5
Combined Science - 5
Art & Design - 5
German - 2
Citizenship - C

I'm currently doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma IT (Year 2).
Torigracex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
[QUOTE=HBaguette;86417514]English Language - 4
English Literature - 3
Maths - 4
History - 3
Computer Science - 5
Combined Science - 5
Art
Last edited by Torigracex; 1 month ago
5hyl33n
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by e_1999)
you do realise people can slip in education for many reasons, right?
mental health, finances, illness, external factors, etc.
also not to mention that the education system is made up of literal children....

you must be fun at parties
If OP had extenuating circumstances, why is their deadline in two days? Shouldn’t there be something in place to help them?
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 1 month ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
English Language - 4
English Literature - 3
Maths - 4
History - 3
Computer Science - 5
Combined Science - 5
Art & Design - 5
German - 2
Citizenship - C

I'm currently doing a BTETechnically, yes.

If Bristol states they are not required, then they are not required. yo C Level 3 Extended Diploma IT (Year 2).
Firstly you have 5 GCSEs at 4 or above including English Language and Maths which is the general requirement for most universities. Your main problem is most universities require either A level or GCSE Maths at grade 6 and without this it will restrict your options. I know Essex accepts grade 4 for Maths and Kent used to. It might be worth resitting Maths to achieve that. What grade are you likely to get in your Extended btec.
HBaguette
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Firstly you have 5 GCSEs at 4 or above including English Language and Maths which is the general requirement for most universities. Your main problem is most universities require either A level or GCSE Maths at grade 6 and without this it will restrict your options. I know Essex accepts grade 4 for Maths and Kent used to. It might be worth resitting Maths to achieve that. What grade are you likely to get in your Extended btec.
Honestly, right now I'm pretty sure I'm going to get at most a MMP on my BTEC, and I'm worried that if I resit maths, I'll just get a worse grade.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, right now I'm pretty sure I'm going to get at most a MMP on my BTEC, and I'm worried that if I resit maths, I'll just get a worse grade.
Here now are a couple of links for you
https://www.whatuni.com/
https://digital.ucas.com/search
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/
HBaguette
Rep:
?
Cheers, I'll give those a look.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have done a quick search for you on ucas course search. Bangor and Aberystwyth are offering Computer science courses with MMM and grade 4 Maths. There will be many others. It is very difficult to find somewhere lower but it might be worth applying to MMM universities. Often they will make offers to someone with a slightly lower grade although it will be the standard offer. Hopefully it will give you motivation to work harder to achieve these grades although it is possible they might accept you on results day with a lower grade.

You dont necessarily need to make your application now. Your school has given you this deadline so they can get their references done by 15 January which is the deadline for equal consideration. However you can still apply after that date but universities will only accept you if they still have vacancies. Most universities based on previous years will still have places.

You have a choice of applying now and perhaps attending visit days afterwards. You would then need to use the links I sent you and view prospectuses and virtual maps and videos online or you can wait and apply later. You need to decide how far you wish to go, whether you want to in a big or small city and whether you prefer to be on a campus or not. You need to check the courses and which you prefer.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's a ridiculous exaggeration, come on.

You can do well in life without being very academic. Much more worrying for me is your level of disorganisation and inability to Google tbh! You should have been considering this months ago, and the true deadline is in January, not December.

Think hard about whether spending all that time and money on university is really going to benefit you. IT in particular is not something that requires a degree!
HBaguette
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
That's a ridiculous exaggeration, come on.

You can do well in life without being very academic. Much more worrying for me is your level of disorganisation and inability to Google tbh! You should have been considering this months ago, and the true deadline is in January, not December.

Think hard about whether spending all that time and money on university is really going to benefit you. IT in particular is not something that requires a degree!
Honestly, I'm not sure where I'm going to get a job in IT that I won't hate without a degree. Everything I've found offers for requires either a degree of 10+ years of experience. The jobs that don't turn out to just be customer service jobs. I'd prefer a job with as little talking to people as possible, because of my social anxiety.

Part of the reason I've been putting this off for so long is because every time I think about it I almost have a breakdown. But, hey, can't be anything wrong with the education system, right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (128)
27.71%
1 (69)
14.94%
2 (71)
15.37%
3 (74)
16.02%
4 (37)
8.01%
5 (30)
6.49%