Do you prefer physical books or ebooks? Watch

ThuggerThugger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hate ebooks tbh rather hold a physical book in my hand. I just don’t generally like reading long text on screens tbh. Many factors come into play like light from the screen just hurts my eyes after awhile. What sucks is I have a text book in PDF format that I need to work through but can’t bring myself to start.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Physical. There's some evidence that you retain more info from physical books but nothing conclusive (I don't think?).
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was thinking I’d get my law books in e version to read on commute but it’s just not practical I find, I need to keep flipping back and whilst all my novels are ebooks I just can’t do it for textbooks it seems. Would be handy if I could!
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For academic sort of books, I prefer ebooks as I can read it anywhere and don't have to carry loads of heavy book at once. I hated carrying a bag full of reference books for my dissertation, once I found online pdfs of many of those, I returned the books and it made life so much easier. The most useful feature of ebooks is the search function and the ability to highlight texts, draw diagrams and annotate.
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I love a physical book but I had so many they were taking over my house and needed to be pared down. I donated them all to charity bar some special ones and now put everything on my kindle. I read so many and going away, half my case would be lost to books. I can easily read six on a two week break.
I also think that having the digital version is a little more environmentally friendly
stillcrying
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I love physical books as I always ruffle the pages when I’m reading, especially when a book gets really exciting!
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The other factor is cost. The new ebook or even physical is £30.
But I can get a previous edition (for additional reading rather than core textbook) for £4 off eBay.
Maybe it’s just trying to read them on kindle? I have a paper white, maybe an iPad is better for textbooks.
000_0000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
physical cuz i love the smell of them(i know its weird)
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can only read from a screen for so long before I get a headache so I usually prefer actual books. Less practical in a lot of ways, though
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Hate ebooks tbh rather hold a physical book in my hand. I just don’t generally like reading long text on screens tbh. Many factors come into play like light from the screen just hurts my eyes after awhile. What sucks is I have a text book in PDF format that I need to work through but can’t bring myself to start.
used to be physical books for sure but i really don't mind pfd's/ebooks that much anymore, and if they come with a reduction in price they can become more attractive, and lets be honest ....sometimes you can find copies of ebooks floating around to download whereas you don't exactly find copies of physical books available to just take.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
used to be physical books for sure but i really don't mind pfd's/ebooks that much anymore, and if they come with a reduction in price they can become more attractive, and lets be honest ....sometimes you can find copies of ebooks floating around to download whereas you don't exactly find copies of physical books available to just take.
You’d be surprised how many ebooks are floating around. All over the place!!
ayyyda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Physical are better for me
AfricanDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mostly physical books- I also think it makes the experience more special
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Physical books. Don't like to read on screens a long while. Books are more pleasant to my eyes and a good reason to leave the desk.
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Definitely physical books
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AfricanDream)
Mostly physical books- I also think it makes the experience more special
This and the fact that it is more relaxing. A great advantage for the physical books.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
physical books
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have loads of physical books and an e-book preloaded with 1500 books. Physical books win every single time. I love the smell and the feel of them, I love having them on my shelves and in stacks. A big part of this is because I didn't really have books when I was a kid and I really wanted to own loads of books. I have the kindle for practicality when I go abroad so that I have enough reading material to keep me happy.
AfricanDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Justmac)
I have loads of physical books and an e-book preloaded with 1500 books. Physical books win every single time. I love the smell and the feel of them, I love having them on my shelves and in stacks. A big part of this is because I didn't really have books when I was a kid and I really wanted to own loads of books. I have the kindle for practicality when I go abroad so that I have enough reading material to keep me happy.
So true, I love my books- my oldest book is a first edition printed in 1900. Nothing beats the real thing, then I have a South African soldiers Bible from WWII with a wooden cover. I have tons of other books too, I cherish most of them (Death of a salesman was a book I grew to hate). I had to buy Death of a salesman when I had it for set text and honestly hated it so much. I ended up giving it to my teacher when I was finished with it so that he could give it to any student who may not be able to afford to buy the book for school so at least some good came out of it.
Lyndsey.95
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Definitely physical books for me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (48)
26.67%
1 (30)
16.67%
2 (32)
17.78%
3 (25)
13.89%
4 (11)
6.11%
5 (15)
8.33%