Regret doing masters degree Watch

vart0m
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I recently graduated from a highly prestigious university in London with a good classification in a Masters degree specializing in the Computing field

However, for the past three months I have been struggling to get a proper paid job and I fear walking into 2020 as an UNEMPLOYED GRADUATE.

Admittedly, I am going a bit crazy just by staying at home everyday. Being unemployed makes you broke, extremely lost and bored, and can even take a toll on your mental health (well for me at least).

People tell me not to worry be positive but man its ****in easier said than done! The people telling me this are EMPLOYED and have MONEY rolling me.

Where have I gone horribly wrong?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's ok.
Don't lose hope, consider taking some short term courses to improve your skills and knowledge base.
Think about finding more people to give you references too, so you have more than two referees to choose from.
Maybe from volunteering for charity or old work managers.

I have several graduate friends in an almost identical situation to you; some undergrads and others with doctorates.
Obtaining employment is mostly a matter of luck, networking contacts, experience, sheer persistence and ambition.
drjob
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm in the same boat as you mate.

Just keep at it and eventually you will get something great!!
vart0m
Rep:
?
(Original post by drjob)
I'm in the same boat as you mate.

Just keep at it and eventually you will get something great!!
I sincerely hope so!

I've been so depressed and down at home lately. Regretting all life choices
vart0m
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
It's ok.
Don't lose hope, consider taking some short term courses to improve your skills and knowledge base.
Think about finding more people to give you references too, so you have more than two referees to choose from.
Maybe from volunteering for charity or old work managers.

I have several graduate friends in an almost identical situation to you; some undergrads and others with doctorates.
Obtaining employment is mostly a matter of luck, networking contacts, experience, sheer persistence and ambition.
Yeah but how much ****in longer.

I was out of employment for 8 months prior to my masters course. Now my unemployment gap is so huge and every recruiter asks what I've been doing in the 8 months prior to masters. No **** sherlock no one wanted to hire me before even though I had a first class computing degree

I regret going to uni now
Red Rose Leftist
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vart0m)
Yeah but how much ****in longer.

I was out of employment for 8 months prior to my masters course. Now my unemployment gap is so huge and every recruiter asks what I've been doing in the 8 months prior to masters. No **** sherlock no one wanted to hire me before even though I had a first class computing degree

I regret going to uni now
This is why you shouldn’t rely only on a degree. Work experience and planning are very important elements of being successful after graduation.
vart0m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Professional G)
This is why you shouldn’t rely only on a degree. Work experience and planning are very important elements of being successful after graduation.
I know but I also already have 1 year and a half experience in the IT industry

To be honest, I think the whole going uni to get a masters is a con! I worked so hard at university got a decent grade only to find that I'm procrastinating at home doing nothing

I went to do a masters at the age of 26 and finished my first degree at 23. So unlike a lot of people I took a break
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vart0m)
I know but I also already have 1 year and a half experience in the IT industry

To be honest, I think the whole going uni to get a masters is a con! I worked so hard at university got a decent grade only to find that I'm procrastinating at home doing nothing

I went to do a masters at the age of 26 and finished my first degree at 23. So unlike a lot of people I took a break
Unfortunately, a master's degree is only valuable if you know that it will improve your career prospects (and pay etc.), which is very hard to establish unless you are currently working in your desired field.

What were you doing in the 3 years between your undergraduate and master's degrees (besides the 8 months you've already mentioned)?
vart0m
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Unfortunately, a master's degree is only valuable if you know that it will improve your career prospects (and pay etc.), which is very hard to establish unless you are currently working in your desired field.

What were you doing in the 3 years between your undergraduate and master's degrees (besides the 8 months you've already mentioned)?
Apologies I did a placement year so I came out of uni at the age of 24. I took a 3 month break before getting a well paid contract which unfortunately never materialised for a permanent job. So I was out of work for 8 months before embarking on a masters journey

All in all, I have done academically and whilst I understand it's always about academia I ain't exactly a novice to.working life

I've worked 2 jobs before and well I keep going. Imo the recruitment in this country is ****d and if I ever become a billionaire and have a company of my own - I would sure as hell hire loads of grads. No.****in tests and no ****in keeping grads in the dark
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.2%
12.37%
12.37%
18.1%
23.14%
19.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed