Amypalkerr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Right

This is genuinely just a question, why do Americans come all the way to the Uk to come to our unis? You guys have just as good, if not better, IVY league so why do you pay so much money to come to ours? I guess I could ask the same to UK students about going to America but I think the IVY’s are just more well known and in general, better.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
our yoonies don't even have cheerleaders or frat houses

:emo:
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amypalkerr)
Right

This is genuinely just a question, why do Americans come all the way to the Uk to come to our unis? You guys have just as good, if not better, IVY league so why do you pay so much money to come to ours? I guess I could ask the same to UK students about going to America but I think the IVY’s are just more well known and in general, better.
because in the US if your family is earning (normally around) less than $65,000 you get massive discounts on your tuition fees, and often it's completely free, including accommodation... but if your family is earning above that figure your university will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, so our unis end up being less than half that figure.

also, in the US you aren't allowed to study your actual degree subject for more than 25-40% of the 4 years (rather than 3 for England and Wales), you have to study electives as well, which is popular, but also general education/core curriculum (at most universities) which is not. who wants to be forced to do a 'math class' if you choose to study English Lit?!
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't see why you would say this when our top universities are internationally recognised as the very best in the world.
Just look at how many world leaders were educated in this little island.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My son’s Oxford college, Exeter, has an exchange with William’s college in the USA. They are allowed to come here for a year and study alongside the Oxford students. Everyone loves it and they say it is “very Harry Potter”. There is also Oxford’s reputation. One Williams student was recalled to the us part way through his year at Oxford because he had received an offer he couldn’t refuse from Morgan Stanley.

Also it didn’t do bill clinton any harm, did it ( he attended university college Oxford)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.22%
12.39%
12.27%
18.12%
23.17%
19.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise