Undergraduate Psychology: BSc or MA? Watch

titania_n
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I am currently applying for psychology and also consider St. Andrews but am struggling with choosing either the Faculty of Science or Arts.
I will probably want to do my masters in forensic psychology or clinical psychology but could also imagine to go into research. I heard a lot that the BSc in Psychology was way more acknowledged and useful, what do you know about it?
Also, I enjoy both Science and Arts subjects even though I supposed I may prefer some language and philosophy or so but what kind of science subjects is reasonable to study alongside psychology and does e.g. neuroscience or biology help?
Thanks a lot!
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by titania_n)
Hi,
I am currently applying for psychology and also consider St. Andrews but am struggling with choosing either the Faculty of Science or Arts.
I will probably want to do my masters in forensic psychology or clinical psychology but could also imagine to go into research. I heard a lot that the BSc in Psychology was way more acknowledged and useful, what do you know about it?
Also, I enjoy both Science and Arts subjects even though I supposed I may prefer some language and philosophy or so but what kind of science subjects is reasonable to study alongside psychology and does e.g. neuroscience or biology help?
Thanks a lot!
Hey, both the MA and BSc Psychology are 100% identical, with the sole exception that in your first year your non-psych modules have to be either mostly science or mostly arts. So for example if you choose the BSc, you could do Psych, Biology and History, but you couldn't do Psych, English and History.

In my first year i did psych, bio and economics. i personally would say that although the non-social side of psych does get very biological, you can get away without doing biology as well, although it did help for the neuroscience aspects of the psychology course. I think the principle (that i normally disagree with) of 'do what you enjoy' applies here.

Make sure you take advantage of the 4 year degree's three summer holidays to pack in as much work experience (ideally related and non-related) as possible
titania_n
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
Hey, both the MA and BSc Psychology are 100% identical, with the sole exception that in your first year your non-psych modules have to be either mostly science or mostly arts. So for example if you choose the BSc, you could do Psych, Biology and History, but you couldn't do Psych, English and History.

In my first year i did psych, bio and economics. i personally would say that although the non-social side of psych does get very biological, you can get away without doing biology as well, although it did help for the neuroscience aspects of the psychology course. I think the principle (that i normally disagree with) of 'do what you enjoy' applies here.

Make sure you take advantage of the 4 year degree's three summer holidays to pack in as much work experience (ideally related and non-related) as possible.
Thanks a lot, that's good advise!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (139)
52.26%
No (127)
47.74%

Watched Threads