The Student Room Group

What I would just like to say as a 22 year old ‘working class’ man.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BigBadRay
But that is from a rather anti-entrepreneurial point of view. And yes, startups generally do introduce new ideas, that is the whole point of them isn’t it. Yes I agree with your point on efficiency, but how would the U.K of managed to reach a higher threshold of possible capitalist success with the EU? You must admit that the EU isn’t as entrepreneurial as the US and Japan, which may be a strong reason why there is such a weak entrepreneurial culture within the UK.

I do believe that with the same stagnated mindset of current business culture within the UK, your predictions could hold some weight, but why are you so sure that this new situation wouldn’t trigger an upsurge in a healthier and stronger business culture, amongst start-ups and corporations?

Maybe your point of view is a little too anti-Darwinist...

I think you misunderstood with the "new ideas and skills" part, as I was referring to ideas which could tackle or minimize the different points I argued in my previous points, not ideas such as product, business model and etc. The reason is that while new ideas may arise to tackle the disadvantages I referred earlier, it will never remove them completely since these ideas still require to be within the scope of domestic and international law.

While I do completely agree with the fact that, the EU isn’t as entrepreneurial as the US and Japan, however based on current matters, Canada and Mexico haven't really benefited largely to being in a trading bloc with the US in comparison to the UK being in the EU.

And while I do understand the purpose and advantages of a strong and good business culture, however would it be able to cope with upcoming situations and the disadvantages, as something so domestic/internal and by itself wouldn't have a huge impact on external matters.
Reply 41
Original post by ApexCoder

While I do completely agree with the fact that, the EU isn’t as entrepreneurial as the US and Japan, however based on current matters, Canada and Mexico haven't really benefited largely to being in a trading bloc with the US in comparison to the UK being in the EU.

And while I do understand the purpose and advantages of a strong and good business culture, however would it be able to cope with upcoming situations and the disadvantages, as something so domestic/internal and by itself wouldn't have a huge impact on external matters.

I guess one of the key differences in our view is that I am coming at this from a more long term proposal. Just because Mexico and Canada failed to reap rewards in relation to their geographical position is absolutely no indication that the U.K would experience such pitfalls, even with the issue of transportation. Canada/Mexico are culturally very different with very different histories and global connections than that of the U.K.

Also, a lot of business trades may be services or virtual goods etc... which might not seem an immediate advantage, but the more in depth relationship between our new partners would over time give us a stronger cultural influence over these nations, which then would give us a good tactical position for that.

I view trade deals as having more impact than simply trading with the country that the deal is made with, it gives us a great opportunity to ‘conglomerate’ with other nations with similar ideologies or business goals to spread our influence, thus over time would create new markets in our favour if tactically planned for, from both the public and private sector.

This is the reason why I view your numbers and current-state-of-affairs worries as not applicable to this way of looking at it, as the whole purpose of this transition is to change all that.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think you totally missed my point. I don’t need ‘caring for’. I am fine thank you very much. I just don’t want forced oppression and passive-aggressive sympathy.

And I don’t view my original economic situation as a major part that identifies me.

Life is a journey, why would I want to be doing to same thing and be at the same level in my life in 20 years as I am today?

I assume by this post you are in support of privatised healthcare in that case? After all, you have no need of it’s services if you don’t need caring for?
Reply 43
I was using ‘cared for’ as an expression for not needing decisions made, or my finances and choices controlled for my own good by politicians. I was meaning that I am perfectly capable to do that myself, and enjoy the freedom of choosing where I put my own resources.

As far as the NHS, I would say that is a more grey area that I don’t currently have a strong opinion on. However, from a demographic point of view, I have always wondered why this is seen as such a pressing issue to students, given the fact that they are mostly young and in good health. If current private healthcare prices wouldn’t be affected, I would say an insurance or maybe insurances that have government caps for going rates may be a possible solution, although I am in no way saying that I think it should become the mess like the system in America.

However, for the genuinely disabled who are unable to work, I totally support 100% free healthcare and support all the way. So one possibility would be to privatise (somewhat) it for the working, while using public funds for the disabled who are unable to work.

The NHS has been in bad shape for a very very long time, however I don’t currently have a definite answer to what should be done about that, but just running it off a broken system can’t be the answer can it?

You will find that in most cases, just throwing money at a problem doesn’t solve it, it only delays the problem for another time. I do believe that a new business model is needed to make the NHS sustainable, although I don’t have enough information to give an exact example of what an ideal business model would be.

It was inevitable that this is how the NHS would pan out, however I think with careful planning, it can still be accessible to those who need public health care services.
(edited 4 years ago)
I was using ‘cared for’ as an expression for not needing decisions made, or my finances and choices controlled for my own good by politicians. I was meaning that I am perfectly capable to do that myself, and enjoy the freedom of choosing where I put my own resources.

As far as the NHS, I would say that is a more grey area that I don’t currently have a strong opinion on. However, from a demographic point of view, I have always wondered why this is seen as such a pressing issue to students, given the fact that they are mostly young and in good health. If current private healthcare prices wouldn’t be affected, I would say an insurance or maybe insurances that have government caps for going rates may be a possible solution, although I am in no way saying that I think it should become the mess like the system in America.

However, for the genuinely disabled who are unable to work, I totally support 100% free healthcare and support all the way. So one possibility would be to privatise (somewhat) it for the working, while using public funds for the disabled who are unable to work.

The NHS has been in bad shape for a very very long time, however I don’t currently have a definite answer to what should be done about that, but just running it off a broken system can’t be the answer can it?

You will find that in most cases, just throwing money at a problem doesn’t solve it, it only delays the problem for another time. I do believe that a new business model is needed to make the NHS sustainable, although I don’t have enough information to give an exact example of what an ideal business model would be.

It was inevitable that this is how the NHS would pan out, however I think with careful planning, it can still be accessible to those who need public health care services.

Can you tell me where Labour in their manifesto have proposed to look after and manage your finances for you? I must have missed that over that particular bit
From now on all posts not understanding, or refusing to respect post #20 (or the new header in the OP) will be ignored, so that the thread doesn’t become bloated with spam.

I also ask everyone else to refrain from replying to junk posts, as quoting and replying to these causes extreme bloat to the thread and down plays any effort being put into actual productive debate, perspective, and opinions.

I would also like to ask the moderators here if they could remove post #39, #34, #33, #30, #29, #27, and #24 as these mainly consist of troll posts and ad hominem, obviously clogging up the thread.

Thank you.

Loving how you are trying to control what people are allowed to say. You clearly dont use TSR (as your account was created today) and have no idea about public forums. Oh how nice it wqould be if you just got to censor anyone who disagrees with you or points out the flaws in your argument. Bit early in the morning but you do have a massive chip on your shoulder and you are misguided on how the world works. Will return to address your points when I have woken up later. In the scheme of things no one gives a rats arse about what you do with your life, so not sure why you decided to make out you are being persecuted and having your aspirations trampled upon?
Reply 46
Original post by 999tigger
Loving how you are trying to control what people are allowed to say. You clearly dont use TSR (as your account was created today) and have no idea about public forums. Oh how nice it wqould be if you just got to censor anyone who disagrees with you or points out the flaws in your argument. Bit early in the morning but you do have a massive chip on your shoulder and you are misguided on how the world works. Will return to address your points when I have woken up later. In the scheme of things no one gives a rats arse about what you do with your life, so not sure why you decided to make out you are being persecuted and having your aspirations trampled upon?

1. I am not controlling what people say, just avoiding spam and people of poor debate skills. The only person here who has held a good and to the point counter-argument is a Apex Coder.

2. I may of not used TSR for long, but I can tell that you have never been in any logical debates in your life (moaning to the people in your student accommodation doesn’t count!).

3. Chip on my shoulder? My whole point is that I don’t want a media manufactured generalised persona made by momentum for me. So no, I am very anti-chip actually.

4. If you didn’t care about my opinion, why reply? You are just bloating the thread.

5. I refuse to keep stating the obvious over and over and over again. It is boring and doesn’t take the discussion further.

6. Your aggression and defensiveness is just a neurological impulse from your basic instincts - not really discussion material.

7. Try a thread more your speed, maybe one in the relationships section?
(edited 4 years ago)
From post #20
“then please don’t post here, or make your own thread orientated to your own debating style.”

No.
Reply 48
Original post by Castro Saint
No.

Ok, I will ask the moderators if they can block you from the thread or auto delete your posts. I can’t stand junk mail.

It is actually just this sort of behaviour why nobody takes you and your tribe seriously. I pity those on the left who actually are up for discussion, although that is such a microscopic minority these days they mightn’t bother.
(edited 4 years ago)
Ok, I will ask the moderators if they can block you from the thread or auto delete your posts. I can’t stand junk mail.

Yes freedom of speech is trash.
Reply 50
Original post by Castro Saint
Yes freedom of speech is trash.

Well, your politics seem to think so! (btw, trash? lol)
And this isn’t a place for tantrums, you are just embarrassing yourself. Have some self respect for once.

Or maybe there is no logical flip side to the discussion, I am thinking that may be the case with such emotional outbursts I am receiving, from grown adults lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 51
Oh yes of course! You will find those exact words on page 28, line 3.

Lol, is that really the depth of thought when reading? omg I can’t believe you are able to even pass a GCSE let alone undergrad!
Oh yes of course! You will find those exact words on page 28, line 3.

Lol, is that really the depth of thought when reading? omg I can’t believe you are able to even pass a GCSE let alone undergrad!

You sound like a gullible fool from your posts brainwashed by right wing media propaganda

Ah well, it is of no concern of mine; most people are capable of realising politicians whatever the party don’t care about the common people, only their own hold on power. Your obsession with whatever liberty you’d think you’d lose under a Labour government is quite amusing
Reply 53
Original post by cosmoliefting
loool when I read the title I was about to comment about how evil and damaging identity politics is so what you say is a very pleasant surprise. Although fortunately my family is quite well off (nothing to do with my hard work lol) I think Corbyn also ruins his chance of people like me voting for him as I have some aspiration to be wealthy as I think many others across the UK do.

Haha yea I know! Yes his manifesto was quite a downer for those that like to try new things in life and build up their lives. Living in his society would be like Rigor Mortis of the mind!
Reply 54
Really? I am actually putting my personal reasons and thoughts forward, unlike you. You just respond in a reactive way, almost as if I am insulting your religion. Maybe you are the one that’s brainwashed. You can’t even propose a coherent question, let alone an answer!

Put down the Morning Star then come back for a discussion when you have calmed down and are ready to voice some original opinions, instead of spurting the same old boring wish wash.
(edited 4 years ago)
Really? I am actually putting my personal reasons and thoughts forward, unlike you. You just respond in a reactive way, almost as if I am insulting your religion. Maybe you are the one that’s brainwashed. You can’t even propose a coherent question, let alone an answer!

If you perceive my questions as incoherent maybe you struggle with English? They should be quite plain and simple to most people reading through the thread 😂
Reply 56
Your questions are like those of a pre gcse student. You don’t even understand any political functions. You just ask a question as if I am your MP and you are a disgruntled protester.

I am not a public servant, I don’t need to answer to emotionally charged spam. I was after a discussion. As you don’t have the capacity to do that without experiencing strong neurological impulses, I would suggest you go to a different thread a discuss more laid back topics.
Your questions are like those of a pre gcse student. You don’t even understand any political functions. You just ask a question as if I am your MP and you are a disgruntled protester.

I am not a public servant, I don’t need to answer to emotionally charged spam. I was after a discussion. As you don’t have the capacity to do that without experiencing strong neurological impulses, I would suggest you go to a different thread a discuss more laid back topics.

If you wish not to engage in a conversation without being patronising to the recipient of your responses then simply don’t reply; it’s not that difficult. Lol at trying to police who responds to you and who doesn’t.

I shall not be responding further to you regardless, I was posting only to post my own opinion in any case. It’s too early in the morning for this sort of animosity and I have patients to attend to
Reply 58
Thank you. Just got to keep the riff raff out or else the moderators might close it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Shouldn't have bit what a retard troll. You defo can report me for this.

Quick Reply