The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

general question

is this website relate only to open university ?
Reply 1
Hello,

I'm currently studying biology bachelor's degree (120 credit) in my first year at the open university.
I want to transfer to a brick uni next year.

1. Which brick universities accept Open Uni credits?
2. Could I move my credits into a brick uni degree and beginning BS in biology from the second year?
3. Could I use my OU credits as an alternative to A levels and entering BS in medicine/or other science BS from the first year?

Many thanks in advance :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Jojo b
Hello,

I'm currently studying biology bachelor's degree (120 credit) in my first year at the open university.

2. Could I move my credits into a brick uni degree and beginning BS in biology from the second year?
3. Could I use my OU credits as an alternative to A levels and entering BS in medicine/or other science BS from the first year?

There's no one size fits all answer I'm afraid.

First I'd say decide which path you want to take, decide where you want to end up. Then contact the uni's you would like to study at. E-mail their admissions departments dealing with specific courses. It's the only way to know for sure, no-one on here can give you the most up to date information.

It's a lot of money and time to spend based on a forum response alone. Get it in writing straight from the horses mouth.

Ben
Original post by Jojo b
Hello,

1. Most of them. The only ones that don't are typical RG universities. Check 'entry requirements' on a universities website and it will usually say there. If it doesn't, contact the admissions team to ask directly.
2. Most universities will want you to start from Year 1. This is mainly because modules covered in the first year vary a lot uni to uni, and also because OU Stage 1 modules typical cover less than brick universities.
3. Half answered in answer 1 above. I can't imagine any university would accept OU Stage 1 credits in replacement of A Levels for medicine. But for science yes. But, your application needs to be strong in other ways too, of course. With OU credits universities will typically expect you to have some relevant work experience along side it.

Note: The vast majority of university entry requirements state for Maths and English GCSE grade C or above. This is despite all other qualifications (99% of the time, of course there is exceptions).

I recommend you email every university admissions department you are interested in and ask directly :smile:
Reply 4
Many thanks for your helpful reply. :smile:

Original post by Anonymous
1. Most of them. The only ones that don't are typical RG universities. Check 'entry requirements' on a universities website and it will usually say there. If it doesn't, contact the admissions team to ask directly.
2. Most universities will want you to start from Year 1. This is mainly because modules covered in the first year vary a lot uni to uni, and also because OU Stage 1 modules typical cover less than brick universities.
3. Half answered in answer 1 above. I can't imagine any university would accept OU Stage 1 credits in replacement of A Levels for medicine. But for science yes. But, your application needs to be strong in other ways too, of course. With OU credits universities will typically expect you to have some relevant work experience along side it.

Note: The vast majority of university entry requirements state for Maths and English GCSE grade C or above. This is despite all other qualifications (99% of the time, of course there is exceptions).

I recommend you email every university admissions department you are interested in and ask directly :smile:

Many thanks for your helpful reply. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by OUScienceStudent
There's no one size fits all answer I'm afraid.

First I'd say decide which path you want to take, decide where you want to end up. Then contact the uni's you would like to study at. E-mail their admissions departments dealing with specific courses. It's the only way to know for sure, no-one on here can give you the most up to date information.

It's a lot of money and time to spend based on a forum response alone. Get it in writing straight from the horses mouth.

Ben

Many thanks Ben, you are right, I will contact them. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending