Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which are the best balls? When are they? What kind of thing can I expect? Also I was wondering which are the major garden parties and generally debauched/drinking society/sports club events. I want to get a handle on the Oxford social calendar pretty sharpish to make sure I meet some fun people and do all the typical Oxford things since I'll only be there a year. All contributions and suggestions welcome...

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: In terms of the balls the "Commemoration Balls" in the summer are the really really massively huge ones. Throughout the year there will be small ones (the union one each term is usually well subsidised; the May balls are less spectacular but often only ~50 quid, and the Hilda's ball is getting a back-street reputation for being bloody good for the tiny price tag)

If it's networking you're after then just join the law society.

Sports club events will be aplenty in your college. Rowing drinking events are usually come one come all, as we need to find a way to make our cash but the black tie dinners etc are only open to members of the sports teams - so if you're not so sporty then chances are you won't get a look in.

ReputationRep:
    Well there definitely won't be any rowing going on, that's not my bag. Hockey, football, and gymnastics are all fine though. I'm not too bothered about networking, done enough of that already and don't really want to network with lawyers. I'll do my share of eating and drinking my way through general careers events though. Sounds like there are plenty of balls throughout the year to keep me busy though.

ReputationRep:
    debauched drinking society type events?

join ouca, make friends, lose money, etc

ReputationRep:
    i'd join lawsoc - loads of people do, most of whom aren't interested in hobnobbing with lawyers. They're there for the free booze

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Hilda's ball is getting a back-street reputation
    I love that turn of phrase. If only either you'd skipped the ball or added an s. Ahh, laughing at Hilda's, it never grows old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antipotato)
    i'd join lawsoc - loads of people do, most of whom aren't interested in hobnobbing with lawyers. They're there for the free booze
    I've gotten enough free booze from lawyers in my time, I don't think I could stand one more law event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    I've gotten enough free booze from lawyers in my time, I don't think I could stand one more law event.
    There are plenty of law soc events with no lawyers there, presidential drinks, club nights, champange and chocolates etc. You can easily make up the membership fee in one night! There are also good events at the union if you join early, things like freshers' fling (not just for freshers) etc.

ReputationRep:
    union is a good call, probably better than lawsoc in terms of actually having fun.

it only counts as value for money if being surrounded by dreadful people doesn't bother you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by probably not)
    union is a good call, probably better than lawsoc in terms of actually having fun.

it only counts as value for money if being surrounded by dreadful people doesn't bother you
    That's what I'm trying to avoid. Don't the major drinking societies have events during the year? Garden parties etc?

ReputationRep:
    you'll be best off joining ouca and the union early on and making friends and your invites should arrive pretty promptly. there's plenty of stuff going on. most things ending with "soc" will be fine for free booze but won't propel you to the bacchanalian groups you probably want.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I hope you have lots of money to burn. I didn't attend a single ball during my year in Oxford because I thought the expense was ridiculous (as in I didn't see a single one advertised costing less than £80).

ReputationRep:
    you can't have looked very hard

ReputationRep:
    I said the ones I SAW :rolleyes:
    Tell me the ones that cost under £50? Bet they're few and far between...

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure the Union balls are only £40?

ReputationRep:
    union; hilda's; hertford; exeter; green; st cross

and that's moving the goalposts a bit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I love that turn of phrase. If only either you'd skipped the ball or added an s. Ahh, laughing at Hilda's, it never grows old
    :mad: Oi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    That's what I'm trying to avoid. Don't the major drinking societies have events during the year? Garden parties etc?
    That's a bit harsh, isn't it? What are you meaning by "dreadful people"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Wow, I hope you have lots of money to burn. I didn't attend a single ball during my year in Oxford because I thought the expense was ridiculous (as in I didn't see a single one advertised costing less than £80).

That's not surprising surely? They are balls after all. I spent more than £275 on balls, events and garden parties for May Week this year at the 'other' place, and that doesn't include the £200-odd on a DJ specifically for the events.

not suprising but a rip off, 475 pounds is enough for a couple of months hard lash, waste to blow to it a week

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.