Turn on thread page Beta

School Music Competition - Ideas & Advice Needed! watch

• View Poll Results: Which Would be the Best Solo Piece For a School Music Competition?
    Ocean - John Butler (see below for videos)
    50.00%
    Guitar Boogie - Tommy Emmanuel
    16.67%
    The Beak/Claw - Jerry Donahue
    16.67%
    Other (please state, rep for the best suggestions)
    16.67%

ReputationRep:
    In a few months, my school will be holding it's inter-house music competition, and I will have to do the solo for my house. I am post-grade 8 in electric and fingerpicked acoustic guitar (and decent at classical) and I am looking for suggestions as to what to do for my solo piece.

So far I have 3 ideas, musicians and non-musicians, please vote for what you think would be best for the competition. It is in a medium-sized theatre, with a very good acoustic amplification system, and I will be playing to about 500 people.

a) Ocean (John Butler)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZw9D9c18E (incredibly good version)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsnFvEQYJPU

b) Guitar Boogie (Tommy Emmanuel)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo (very hard, but do-able with practice)

c) The Beak/Claw (Jerry Donahue)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJaSZxZJFV0 (zoom to 3:02 minutes, it's worth it)

d) Other (please state, rep for the best suggestions)

Personally I favour a), as it is just plain awesome.

Vote/suggest!

Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    I think your best option would be Ocean by John Butler.

It starts off slow and then really gets into it later on, meaning it gives you a chance to show more than just fast playing to the audience and really show off your skills, in playing something with loads of emotion, as well as playing technically well

Guitar boogie isn't as impressive to me, because it sounds like a lot of it can be made up or played slightly wrong yet still sound good because of the nature of the piece.

And the last one is good. Just not compared to Ocean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    I think your best option would be Ocean by John Butler.

It starts off slow and then really gets into it later on, meaning it gives you a chance to show more than just fast playing to the audience and really show off your skills, in playing something with loads of emotion, as well as playing technically well

Guitar boogie isn't as impressive to me, because it sounds like a lot of it can be made up or played slightly wrong yet still sound good because of the nature of the piece.

And the last one is good. Just not compared to Ocean.
    Thanks, seems good advice to me...but do you think it will matter that it is fairly simple harmonically?

And yes, but then again nothing is as good as ocean for solo guitar I think...do you know John Butler's music

ReputationRep:
    To all guitarists - have you ever done a solo piece that isn't classical?

It seems rare to find guitarists who can actually play well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster136)
    Thanks, seems good advice to me...but do you think it will matter that it is fairly simple harmonically?

And yes, but then again nothing is as good as ocean for solo guitar I think...do you know John Butler's music
    It may be simple harmonically, but the amount of skill required to play like that and with all the right notes easily surpasses that slight downside to it

And I've heard of some of his stuff, but I don't really listen to much of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    It may be simple harmonically, but the amount of skill required to play like that and with all the right notes easily surpasses that slight downside to it

And I've heard of some of his stuff, but I don't really listen to much of it
    'Under An Indian Sky' is good if you like Ocean - it's like Ocean's 'evil twin'...

ReputationRep:
    John Renbourn - Faro's Rag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    John Renbourn - Faro's Rag.
    I just youtubed it, it's awesome, I think I will learn it anyway, but it might be a bit easy for this competition - it's a shame, they go for very hard pieces, played well, rather than simple but awesome pieces

ReputationRep:

Yes, I played 'I Would Love To' by Steve Vai at a summer concert.

Also, if i could suggest something else seeing as you have a few months, 'Far Beyond the Sun' by Yngwie Malmsteen would be a pretty good challenge for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grace Under Pressure)
    Yes, I played 'I Would Love To' by Steve Vai at a summer concert.

Also, if i could suggest something else seeing as you have a few months, 'Far Beyond the Sun' by Yngwie Malmsteen would be a pretty good challenge for you.
    I've learnt most of Far Beyond The Sun, not really my style but very cool all the same. My friend did that for house solo and didn't win! (he played it fairly well but not flawlessly, and had a backing track)

ReputationRep:
    Is seems fingerpicking is your thing, but I played this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHBIfhB8TYA for my college solo performance. The right mixture of taste and technique imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meoldmucker)
    Is seems fingerpicking is your thing, but I played this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHBIfhB8TYA for my college solo performance. The right mixture of taste and technique imo.
    I think Vai is the only electric guitarist who could fit the bill, if I was to do an electric piece. I'm into fingerpicking only in the last few months, before, I played electric for 3 years (and still do). I'm studying for an electric guitar diploma.

Tender Surrender is in a similar style to that, but even better I think. They have Vai playing it on google video somewhere

is that you in the video? It's awesome playing

ReputationRep:

is that you in the video? It's awesome playing
    Sorry, no its not.

I like C very much

I doubt you could perfect that in the time available though.
    If it were me, i'd pick c

ReputationRep:

I did Vai's "Eugene's Trick Bag" off of Flex-able / the duel scene in Crossroads - that's a bit of a ridiculous shred fest if there ever was one (only did it really to kind of show up this idiot who'd been bragging about how much better than me he was when all he played was bad indie...) - it went down well though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthred50)
    I like C very much

I doubt you could perfect that in the time available though.
    If it were me, i'd pick c
    C is awesome, never seen playing like it, but I'm not sure it has the 'wow factor', for the judge who is likely to be a non-guitarist. It would be very hard to play on my strat, as opposed to on Donahue's tele (with a fixed bridge), as he is unison bending 2 or sometimes 3 strings at once!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C2H5OH)
    I did Vai's "Eugene's Trick Bag" off of Flex-able / the duel scene in Crossroads - that's a bit of a ridiculous shred fest if there ever was one (only did it really to kind of show up this idiot who'd been bragging about how much better than me he was when all he played was bad indie...) - it went down well though
    Ha, you get so many guitarists like that! Eugene's Trick Bag is a good piece, but considering a friend of mine didn't win, with a good rendition of 'Far Beyond the Sun' last year, I don't think shred can win the competition. Did you play the whole thing (e.g. slide intro, etc), or just the end part?

And have you seen Crossroads? I want to, but apparently the duel is the only good bit

Hows about Classical Gas?
    I leaned a sort of mixed tune of Mason Williams version (the one everyone seems to think was eric clapton :confused:) and Tommy Emmanuel's faster version, and it's one of my favorite things to play

It's not the hardest or most advanced piece ever but it's nice to listen to; i think the judje might appreciate it

uth =]

ReputationRep:
    Ha, you get so many guitarists like that! Eugene's Trick Bag is a good piece, but considering a friend of mine didn't win, with a good rendition of 'Far Beyond the Sun' last year, I don't think shred can win the competition. Did you play the whole thing (e.g. slide intro, etc), or just the end part?

And have you seen Crossroads? I want to, but apparently the duel is the only good bit
    I was unoriginal and just did the end (starting with the arpeggios).

Crossroads is pretty rubbish, just youtube the duel :P

ReputationRep:
    It'd be cool if you played this or something else by Justin King. He's pretty talented. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRRF_...eature=related

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.