The Student Room Group

Importance of A-level result when applying to oxbridge for Postgrad

Hi,
I got a BCD in my A-levels and I am currently on a gap year for some work experience and decide which field will be the best for me. I did some law internships and decided to study llb. Now I am confused on whether to give retakes or not of my A-level because I am planing to study masters from oxbridge or Harvard with scholarship/bursaries. Now I want to know that how important are the A-level results when you want to apply to oxbridge for Masters. Because if they are not important then I can do some more field work related to law and gain some more work experience.
Reply 1
Original post by Ali_15804
Hi,
I got a BCD in my A-levels and I am currently on a gap year for some work experience and decide which field will be the best for me. I did some law internships and decided to study llb. Now I am confused on whether to give retakes or not of my A-level because I am planing to study masters from oxbridge or Harvard with scholarship/bursaries. Now I want to know that how important are the A-level results when you want to apply to oxbridge for Masters. Because if they are not important then I can do some more field work related to law and gain some more work experience.

Hi
If you're planning to study masters, it depends on the department, the degree and the place you're applying to.
It's best to see the entry requirements which they would usually have on their website

My friend studied his master's in LSE, and it really depended on his undergrad grade, which was a 1st.
For his A levels, the minimum requirement was a B in maths which he already had an A.

I would say contact the university you want to study in, and find out if they do require both your undergrad and A levels, or only your undergrad degree.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Sadek K
Hi
If you're planning to study masters, it depends on the department, the degree and the place you're applying to.
It's best to see the entry requirements which they would usually have on their website

My friend studied his master's in LSE, and it really depended on his undergrad grade, which was a 1st.
For his A levels, the minimum requirement was a B in maths which he already had an A.

I would say contact the university you want to study in, and find out if they do require both your undergrad and A levels, or only your undergrad degree.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
I want to apply to oxbridge for law and also do bar at law from the inns.
I did check the oxbridge requirement for law and they only wanted the undergrad and English language proof. Don’t know what the inns of courts want.
What do you think, should I give retakes?

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Ali_15804
Hi,
I want to apply to oxbridge for law and also do bar at law from the inns.
I did check the oxbridge requirement for law and they only wanted the undergrad and English language proof. Don’t know what the inns of courts want.
What do you think, should I give retakes?

Thanks for the help :smile:

If you want to do the bar, I don't think your A levels would count, only your undergrad.
But it's hard to tell as you have 3 A levels, and the D wouldn't look great on a CV.
I've asked a friend and they didn't take into account his A levels as he achieved a first and was given a scholarship. But they expected 70+% in all his modules, that was the requirement.

I wouldn't want to make the decision for you, but I'd say a retake isn't necessary if you get accepted into the university. The only time the A level would count is to get into the undergraduate degree itself, and for masters they'd see your undergrad.
If by any chance they do want an A level you could retake any time you want.

Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Sadek K
If you want to do the bar, I don't think your A levels would count, only your undergrad.
But it's hard to tell as you have 3 A levels, and the D wouldn't look great on a CV.
I've asked a friend and they didn't take into account his A levels as he achieved a first and was given a scholarship. But they expected 70+% in all his modules, that was the requirement.

I wouldn't want to make the decision for you, but I'd say a retake isn't necessary if you get accepted into the university. The only time the A level would count is to get into the undergraduate degree itself, and for masters they'd see your undergrad.
If by any chance they do want an A level you could retake any time you want.

Hope this helps.

Hi
The only reason I’m not sure about the retakes is because I am doing my llb from a university which is affiliated with university of London and has an international degree program. That is why I am so unsure. Thanks for the help
Thank you for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending