Boris is going after the BBC

Watch
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Our new One Nation Tory government is starting work - they are attacking the BBC.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cence-fee.html

Strange, because the Beeb took a very pro-Tory line at every stage of the campaign. Apparently it wasn't enough - the reason is obvious - Andrew Neil's bad-mouthing of the new PM for refusing to attend his interview.

Apart from showing how petty the new government are going to be, this is also an indication that they intend to clamp down on any media that oppose them. We can expect attacks on critical social media soon.

The new government are forming a 'patriotic' nationalist front like the ones that operate in more extreme countries such as Hungary and Turkey.
Max1989
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I don't really see why this is a bad thing :erm:

The left were the ones complaining after, they blame the media for JC's bad reputation, the BBC included.

Licence fee should be a choice, especially with the dawn of more internet streaming, I myself very rarely watch BBC programs.

And it isn't a clamp down on all media, the BBC is a public broadcasting service, it has to be impartial, but that is hard to do especially in these times where right and left are getting further apart. Every presenter has their views and there is always the risk, he isn't clamping down because of the presenters he's clamping down because of the consumers should have choice.

All other media is privately owned so he can't and won't clamp down on them as conservatives are high believers in freedom of speech, unlike most, he gets attacked by them all the time but doesn't really care unless it's mentioned in interviews, but that's different.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Max1989)
I don't really see why this is a bad thing :erm:

The left were the ones complaining after, they blame the media for JC's bad reputation, the BBC included.

Licence fee should be a choice, especially with the dawn of more internet streaming, I myself very rarely watch BBC programs.

And it isn't a clamp down on all media, the BBC is a public broadcasting service, it has to be impartial, but that is hard to do especially in these times where right and left are getting further apart. Every presenter has their views and there is always the risk, he isn't clamping down because of the presenters he's clamping down because of the consumers should have choice.

All other media is privately owned so he can't and won't clamp down on them as conservatives are high believers in freedom of speech, unlike most, he gets attacked by them all the time but doesn't really care unless it's mentioned in interviews, but that's different.
The Tories have been attacking the BBC for quite a while now, they've been applying heavy pressure to its budgets for some years.

I don't disagree that the license model needs reviewing, it's their motives I question. With most of the media already singing from the right wing hymn sheet, the BBC was increasingly the only major media outlet left that had the potential to be objective - the fact that the Tories clearly want to destroy this is menacing to our democracy.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Also Tory ministers are now apparently going to refuse to appear on Radio 4 Today.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...pronged-attack

Tories are also attacking Channel 4.

What's next I wonder?
Max1989
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
The Tories have been attacking the BBC for quite a while now, they've been applying heavy pressure to its budgets for some years.

I don't disagree that the license model needs reviewing, it's their motives I question. With most of the media already singing from the right wing hymn sheet, the BBC was increasingly the only major media outlet left that had the potential to be objective - the fact that the Tories clearly want to destroy this is menacing to our democracy.
Sky, Channel 4 (really badly), ITV (depends on the presenter) and BBC rarely are relatively left I'd be scared if they were any more left honestly as that would be brainwashing teh viewers into thinking a certain mindset when people should have their own personal views, it's a lot easier to take that view, less criticism from your viewers it seems.

The truth is media has opinions, that's just how it is. There's plenty of options out there just find the one that suits your needs. I have stopped watching the news and istead will just read it and create my own opinion upon those facts.

The only motive I got from the article, and the BBC's version of that article is this:

They want to give viewers a choice, they want to make it a fine/civil law rather than a criminal offence or secreamisles it completely, and they are simply reviewing it nothing set in stone yet. More of a threat than an attack.

That motive isn't bad...it's rather sensible.

Also Tory ministers are now apparently going to refuse to appear on Radio 4 Today.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...pronged-attack

Tories are also attacking Channel 4.

What's next I wonder?
People have the choice to not go on TV/Radio don't they? If you want to see them on radio/tv just go to a different news station, again consumers have a choice.

And Channel 4 are by far the most left-wing TV station in the UK, so makes sense, I agree they should just do the radio broadcasts and get on with it and stop being childish who cares what the presenters views are, but that's my view and they seems to not have that.
Last edited by Max1989; 10 months ago
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
This is no surprise at all. They have been looking for an excuse for a while, ever since the beeb reported John Whittingdale trying online dating after his marriage ended and having a couple of dates with someone who turned out to have been a member of the oldest profession. No fault of Mr Whittingdale as he could not have known.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
This is no surprise at all. They have been looking for an excuse for a while, ever since the beeb reported John Whittingdale trying online dating after his marriage ended and having a couple of dates with someone who turned out to have been a member of the oldest profession. No fault of Mr Whittingdale as he could not have known.
Yes, although I think we already see a general trend of attacking the non-Murdoch and non-Mail media across the board. I wouldn't be at all surprised for example now to see them try to undermine the Guardian in various legal ways (revisions to the status of media-owning trusts?) and to attack digital media (new rules about who can own or run them?) together with attacks on satellite networks - it can't have escaped Tory notice that France 24 for example takes a very sceptical view of the new government.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Our new One Nation Tory government is starting work - they are attacking the BBC.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cence-fee.html

Strange, because the Beeb took a very pro-Tory line at every stage of the campaign. Apparently it wasn't enough - the reason is obvious - Andrew Neil's bad-mouthing of the new PM for refusing to attend his interview.

Apart from showing how petty the new government are going to be, this is also an indication that they intend to clamp down on any media that oppose them. We can expect attacks on critical social media soon.

The new government are forming a 'patriotic' nationalist front like the ones that operate in more extreme countries such as Hungary and Turkey.
Is this actually personal revenge?

The senior presenter of Today is Boris' exact Oxford contemporary (and mine) and rival Nick Robinson and Andrew Neil was Boris' boss at the Spectator.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads