The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
pandora7

Jaager

I think Poland also deserves a mention, as at the Hight of Absolutism they practised Their Golden Democracy with the Elected monarchy, and so compared to most of Europe they were quite progressive, its just a shame they ended up being too weak to defend themselves against Frederick and Catherine.

poland? hell no, she was Russia's bitch, and before that Germany's :p:

:p: I said a mention, not that they contributed the most :p:
Reply 61
Iraq. It was the first civilisation, created the first meaningful law society (Hummurabi's Code), created the first ever story (Gilgamesh) and was the possibly the most economically and strategically important Islamic country ever.

Having said that the Middle East in itself is probably the most important place in World History.

Western nations have not been here long enough to be considered "influential" (200-300 years?). Although their economic progress driven by technological innovation has been something to marvel at.
Reply 62
Toss-up between China and Greece methinks.
Kazakhstan.
Reply 64
Ancient Greece. Fact.
Bismarck
I love all the bickering here considering that the thread starter didn't even say what "contributing to world history" means.

For the what does "contributing to world history" mean, how many possible interpretations are there? :confused:
It is quite simply. The history of world, and which country has had the greatest impact. It's not bickering, it's called discussion - I think you are getting mixed up with the forum you mod. :rolleyes:
Makaveli_The_Don
Kazakhstan.

why?
SusDev
Israel. Namely the birth and crucifixion of Jesus Christ. I think you'll find very little history which hasn't stemmed from this.

I don't think Israel was around at the time of Christ? :wink:
Was it not the Roman Empire.

And there is a lot of history that has nothing to do with Christ.

Equally, you could Egypt as it was there that the 10 commandments were born. :yep:
Reply 68
Lord Hysteria
For the what does "contributing to world history" mean, how many possible interpretations are there? :confused:
It is quite simply. The history of world, and which country has had the greatest impact. It's not bickering, it's called discussion - I think you are getting mixed up with the forum you mod. :rolleyes:

Greatest impact on what? What exactly is "world history"? How can something contribute to it? How can one discuss something when the terms aren't properly defined?
Reply 69
The Ancient Greeks. Why ?

-Athens was the first city state to introduce true democracy
-Theatre as we know it (with actors) originated from Athens
-Aristotle and Plato from classical Athens (more Aristotle) still influence religious philosophy.
-Greek culture heavily influenced Roman religion, art and general culture.
-The New Testament was written firstly in Ancient Greek

However you could also argue for the Middle East as it is believed language originated from there.
Bismarck
Greatest impact on what?

You have answered that in your next question.

Bismarck
What exactly is "world history"?

The history of the world :confused:

Bismarck
How can something contribute to it?

By being there and doing something. That is how history is written and made. And those who have wider reaching implications are deemed to have had the greatest contribution to the history.

Bismarck
How can one discuss something when the terms aren't properly defined?

It's quite simple, and fun. You see by keeping it open and wide, it allows a variety of responses, all the way from religion to military. :smile:
Reply 71
brimstone
Germany, I'd say. Shaped pretty much most of the twentieth century for Europe, as well as done a lot for the previous few centuries too.

How can Germany be the most influential nation in world history when I only became a country in 1870 ?

138 years is infinitesimal compared to the history of the world.
Reply 72
Mostly Greece (Philosophy, literature), UK (Science, Empire, Literature) and US (Aid, Influence in world affiars)
Little bit France (shaping continents), Germany (wars) and Russia (influence in Cold war, WW2)
Reply 73
It's quite impossible to discuss this on such broad terms, but I'll give it a go. What do you mean by world history anyway? The writing of History? Or the achievements of certain nations?

If so, It's almost impossible to single out one nation as the main contributor, as all cultures place emphasis on different things. For example, in the west, we often look back to the Golden Age of Athens in the 5th Century as the most influenctial period; within was created the system of governence that Mr Bush would have us believe is the the best and which all people aspire too - democracy. Meanwhile, Plato was writing the Republic, Socrates was being tried in a law court for corrupting the youth, Pericles was funding the rebuilding of the acropolis (So much of modern architecture still incorperates classical ideas, and many government and public buildings are often in the neo-Classical style, the British Museum being one that springs to mind), and Greek theatre, the foundation of Western theatre as a whole, was flourishing under Euripides, Sophocles and Aescholys.

However, it's impossible to single out one nation or group of people in the hundreds of thousands of years of human civilisation that has contributed most. Our society is an amalgamation of thousands of years of taking in influences from many, many countries.
Folderol
Mostly Greece (Philosophy, literature), UK (Science, Empire, Literature) and US (Aid, Influence in world affiars)
Little bit France (shaping continents), Germany (wars) and Russia (influence in Cold war, WW2)

I thought you were going to say Israel!

But yeah Greece and Italy.
Reply 75
Folderol

The UK didn't invent Empire. There were many Empires before the British one and no doubt there will be many more.
Reply 76
Ed.
The UK didn't invent Empire. There were many Empires before the British one and no doubt there will be many more.

I meant the British Empires vastness. The influence and contribution in and of it.
Reply 77
Not really a country, but Egypt, Middle East and Sumerans probably shaped it the msot by developing agrigulture some 5000-8000 years before the Chinese. If it wasn't for them chances are we'd either still be much behind in technological and cultural development, or we'D all be speakign chinese.
Reply 78
Folderol

Britain was by no means the first empire no matter how you look at it. Arguably (depends how you define an Empire, mind) you could consider Ancient Egypt in the 15th Century BC as an empire of sorts... but I'm not getting into this argument again!
Reply 79
Lord Hysteria
I thought you were going to say Israel!

Now you mention it :P..

Latest

Trending

Trending