The Student Room Group

4 AS subjects ?

Im starting my AS's in September and i've picked three subjects that i definitely want to do (English joint, art and Geography). Im also pretty
sure i want to carry all 3 into the second year.

The problem is i have no interest in any of the other choices i have to choose from (according to the option blocks). Is it worth doing a 4th AS just for the sake of it - is it really neccesary? I still have no idea what i want to do at Uni but i don't want to hinder my chances of getting onto a good course.

I have looked at a few entry requirements but i don't really understand them:redface: . Wouldn't they prefer AAA rather than ABB and a potentially low AS?

If i had to choose something it would be Psychology but should i just concentrate on doing well on my 3 other subjects?

Sorry for the essay and i'd really appreciate any help, thanks :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most universities ask for 3 A-levels and 1 AS. It's quite important.
As long as you are certain you can do the 3 well then you might as well just take 3. They don't require a 4th AS, but unfortunately it is preferred.
It'd be good to do 4, because it keeps your options open for next year, and for university applications. Remember you'll be competing against people who did 4 AS Levels for university places.

Are there really no other subjects that interest you? History might be a good one to take if you're good at English, or maybe something like Religious Studies?
Reply 4
I am doing an extra in my second year as i didnt do it first, but durham have only asked me for either AAA for social sciences, AAB for psyche or ABB for applied psyche.
Reply 5
I would pick a fourth if I were you. Specially because you dont what you want to do as yet, so a fourth one should keep more options open and some unis (e.g. Kings College) ask for a fourth As Level for a lot of their courses.
Reply 6
Although they generally only make offers on 3 subjects at A2, quite a few universities do want you to have at least a pass in another subject at AS. It won't hinder your chances too much if you don't do so well in it; in fact you'd be far more hindered if you didn't have one at all. When you apply to university you don't always even have to declare your ASs (depending on when you certificate them), all you have to do is provide the universities with your predicted A2s, so it's not so much of an issue if you didn't do so well, dropped it, but didn't necessarily want to mention your grade.
Reply 7
I would take a 4th, and don't take something reallty easy as it'll bore you(I know this from experience).
Reply 8
itz best to have some back-up subject, u may really hate geography, but u will have no choice but to carry on. There must be something else your interested in, history is a good suggestion, or maybe physcology? or anything that requires good essay writing skills.
Or another idea, if your exceptionaly good at english u can take them as 2 seperate a-levels.
Like everyone else has said, take a fourth.

It'll hinder you if you don't.
Reply 10
Hmm, well my options are...
Psychology
chemistry - only predicted a C at gcse
economics - looks boring
English lit - already doing englsih
film studies - not very respected
spanish - never spoken a word of spanish in my life
Music - don't play an instrument
and sports studies - i can't play sports

So i'm stuck really :frown:
Reply 11
oh and thanks for all the quick replies :smile:
If you're good at essays, Psychology AS will be incredibly easy so long as you cram in all the information.

e.g Cohen (1964) said this, but according to Baddeley and Hitch (1982)....

You just need to memorize names and studies, and then you're good to go.
Reply 13
Ozzy_92
Im starting my AS's in September and i've picked three subjects that i definitely want to do (English joint, art and Geography). Im also pretty
sure i want to carry all 3 into the second year.

The problem is i have no interest in any of the other choices i have to choose from (according to the option blocks). Is it worth doing a 4th AS just for the sake of it - is it really neccesary? I still have no idea what i want to do at Uni but i don't want to hinder my chances of getting onto a good course.

I have looked at a few entry requirements but i don't really understand them:redface: . Wouldn't they prefer AAA rather than ABB and a potentially low AS?

If i had to choose something it would be Psychology but should i just concentrate on doing well on my 3 other subjects?

Sorry for the essay and i'd really appreciate any help, thanks :biggrin:

i have just done my AS levels, and only did 3. I'd rather do that then what my friend did, who took a 4th AS level and hated and has done really bad with it.

you could always do 3 AS levels this year and then next year have a look at the option blocks for the year below and maybe take on an AS level then (do it in year 13) when you might be more clear in what you want to do.

good luck!
Reply 14
Thanks - but that's what im worried about - i have a really bed memory lol
I suppose i may aswell give it a try, iv got nothing to loose :smile:
What do other people who have taken psycology think of it??

It is worthwhile as a large number of unis prefer it and some require it, as above (the ".5" means an AS)

It's probably not worthwhile if it causes you to drop a grade on two of your other subjects - i find this unlikely though.
Reply 16
schrodinger's cat

It is worthwhile as a large number of unis prefer it and some require it, as above (the ".5" means an AS)

It's probably not worthwhile if it causes you to drop a grade on two of your other subjects - i find this unlikely though.

Oh, so i only really need a pass in the subject? (ie. at least an E)
Ozzy_92

For these universities (e.g. UCL, KCL and some others) yes. I have not come across anywhere that asks for a good pass in a fourth AS - though there may be some.

I'm not necessarily recomending you deliberately try and pass with just an E however...
Ozzy_92

Well, yeah. Otherwise it's not an AS.

They want you to get an AS, not fail at getting one.
Reply 19
I know alot of people that have done pscycology, although i havnt done it myself, i find that if u have no interest in it what so ever, u will do crap, but if u give it a good go itz reletively simple, especially if u do english.

Latest