lucywilliams2001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm applying to uni now I've completed my a-levels and got BCC - I want to apply to study criminology and I was wondering out of these choices which I'd get into and where's best for me to go....

lancaster
uwe
bristol
swansea
Surrey
manchester met
bath spa
nottingham
Leeds Beckett
liverpool

please help!!!!!!!
CC!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Check each uni website and the entry requirements for each course. Each will vary quite significantly with some requiring you to have higher grades, while others will accept lower grades. Also check any course requirements eg work experience that you may need before you start the degree. And compare the unit content as that can also vary! What you do on one will be different to another even if the course has the same name. Consider the living costs, accommodation, location ie how far from the nearest town, accessibility for public transport, night life etc. Have you been to any open days? I didnt personally but that is also very helpful. Researching them can take quite a while! If you are applying this year, don't forget the deadline is 15th Jan and you will need a reference prior to sending the application so you do need to be quick!
studymango
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
use which! university, it’ll tell you what the grades on average students got for each course + the likelihood of receiving an offer.
laila_a1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lucywilliams2001)
I'm applying to uni now I've completed my a-levels and got BCC - I want to apply to study criminology and I was wondering out of these choices which I'd get into and where's best for me to go....

lancaster
uwe
bristol
swansea
Surrey
manchester met
bath spa
nottingham
Leeds Beckett
liverpool

please help!!!!!!!
I know this isn't one of your options but consider royal holloway they are lenient for grade boundaries near clearing
CC!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To put it into context;
Lancaster do three different courses.
Criminology (ABB)
Criminology + law (ABB)
Criminology + psychology (AAB)

With some uni’s you may be able to do a foundation year if you don’t meet the full entry grade requirements. Which will make it another year in length - 4 instead of 3 but its worth looking at those too if you are struggling to match your grades to the uni requirements.
Last edited by CC!; 4 weeks ago
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

lancaster
uwe
bristol
swansea
Surrey
manchester met
bath spa
nottingham
Leeds Beckett
liverpool

please help!!!!!!!
Why have you highlighted Bristol, Nottingham, Lancaster these are unrealistic ie 0 chance (unless you are re-sitting)

Liverpool & Surrey are also very very unlikely as well.
CC!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bristol

Criminology (ABB)
Social policy + Criminology (ABB)
Criminology with quantitative research methods (ABB)
CC!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You should be good with bath spa!

Criminology (CCC)
Criminology + Sociology (CCC)
Criminology + Psychology (CCC)

Criminology + Biology (CCC) with C in biology/human biology/ social biology/environmental science

Criminology + Creative writing (CCC) with C in English

Criminology + business management (CCC) with C in business (or strong business interest)
CC!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What career is it that you actually want to do? Just be aware that criminology can be very vague and isn’t set around 1 career but many different ones.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

lancaster
uwe
bristol
swansea
Surrey
manchester met
bath spa
nottingham
Leeds Beckett
liverpool

please help!!!!!!!
Hi lucywilliams2001

It is great to hear that you want to study at university. Here are a few points that I have put together to help you decide which university is best for you.

1. Check if the course is right for you :banana:

Be sure to look at the course specification online so you know what to expect and whether or not the content is of interest to you! In addition to this you can check whether or not the way you are taught/assessed is best suited to you.

2. Does the city and university fit around your type of lifestyle? :badger:

Have a think about where the university is located. Do you want to live in a rural, urban or sub-urban environment? Moving to a city can be daunting, however if you are a fan of the city this will always enhance your experience.

3. Where does the university fall in the league tables? :congrats:

The league tables give an updated scoring of UK universities based off of criteria such as entry standards, student satisfaction, research quality and graduate prospects. Depending on what you find important, these scores can be helpful in deciding between a few close universities.

4. How can you see what the university campus services and facilities are like? :auto:

The first suggestion would be the most obvious which is to go to an open day. However, if you can't go on those set dates you can still contact universities to get a one-to-one campus tour. Additionally, some universities have virtual/video guide to the campus to help you explore the site in the comfort of your own home.

Hope this helps.

Dom
Harpy2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have applied to UWE for Criminology and Sociology - rec'd offer for 120 points, Swansea Uni for Criminology and Psychology - rec'd offer for BBB, also Gloucestershire for Criminology and Sociology - rec'd unconditional offer
Last edited by Harpy2; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

13.6%
12.83%
2 (99)
12.58%
18.68%
22.87%
19.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise