The Student Room Group

What is the right career choice for me? medicine?

I take biology, chemistry and maths at a level, so what you are already probably thinking is the obvious career choice for me is medicine? or something similar. I had my heart set on becoming a vet, then about a year and a half ago I decided that maybe a better option for me would be becoming a doctor. I have done all of the work experience and I did really enjoy it, so I decided that I wanted to become a surgeon.. well I think. I'm taking my a levels this year but I haven't applied yet because I want to take a year out to travel and whatever. I have just taken my mocks and I didn't do awful but not as well as I hoped. Everyone keeps telling me I have time to fix it so I will get the grade I need (AAA) to do medicine If I want to but I'm starting to wonder if that is what I actually want to do. I hate chemistry and I only took it to allow me to study medicine. I'm not sure how much chemistry you actually do I'm a medicine degree but I definitely hope its not a lot. My mum is a doctor and she spends so much time working (like academic work) and taking exams. I don't know if I want to spend my life working (academically) all the time. I considered becoming a teacher? but now I'm just really confused about what I want to do.
Original post by Baysar
I take biology, chemistry and maths at a level, so what you are already probably thinking is the obvious career choice for me is medicine? or something similar. I had my heart set on becoming a vet, then about a year and a half ago I decided that maybe a better option for me would be becoming a doctor. I have done all of the work experience and I did really enjoy it, so I decided that I wanted to become a surgeon.. well I think. I'm taking my a levels this year but I haven't applied yet because I want to take a year out to travel and whatever. I have just taken my mocks and I didn't do awful but not as well as I hoped. Everyone keeps telling me I have time to fix it so I will get the grade I need (AAA) to do medicine If I want to but I'm starting to wonder if that is what I actually want to do. I hate chemistry and I only took it to allow me to study medicine. I'm not sure how much chemistry you actually do I'm a medicine degree but I definitely hope its not a lot. My mum is a doctor and she spends so much time working (like academic work) and taking exams. I don't know if I want to spend my life working (academically) all the time. I considered becoming a teacher? but now I'm just really confused about what I want to do.

There are lots of things you can do with biology, chemistry, and maths. I don't think the "obvious" career choice is medicine at all :tongue:

There is no pure chemistry at medical school, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

I don't know what stage your mum is at in her career but exams aren't a lifelong thing. You will have to work hard of course, but that's the case in any professional career. I think if you've enjoyed the work experience then that's an encouraging sign.
Original post by Democracy
There are lots of things you can do with biology, chemistry, and maths. I don't think the "obvious" career choice is medicine at all :tongue:

There is no pure chemistry at medical school, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

I don't know what stage your mum is at in her career but exams aren't a lifelong thing. You will have to work hard of course, but that's the case in any professional career. I think if you've enjoyed the work experience then that's an encouraging sign.

These were the exact 3 things I was going to post.
Original post by Baysar

As above. Only thing to add: if you're planning to travel remember to factor in possible medical interviews, which can take place any time between like November and April really. It would have been preferable to apply this year for deferred entry tbh, but oh well too late now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending