Do teachers care about depressed students? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m not exactly depressed but I’m just down all the time. I want to talk to a teacher about the fact I’m pulling 2 all nighters to get a project done but it’s my fault and she’ll put the blame on me. I want to tell her I’ve not been doing too well but she’ll probably just think I’m trying to get out of it. I know it’s their job but I really want to talk to someone and I don’t want them thinking I’m just miserable. One of my teachers always jokes about how I look depressed and tells me to be happy and it annoys me so much it’s like he’s just blind to all the issues students have to deal with every day. Is it worth talking to a teacher about it or will they just think I’m overreacting? Do they care at all??
Last edited by Interrobang; 1 month ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
... Do they care at all??
They are supposed to.

Whether they do, in practice, is another matter.

Speak to your GP, they will have to care.
death07/08/17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've had teachers who genuinely genuinely cared about it but it isn't a definite response that will happen. Go to your gp and get help for the problem itself and mention it as a "just to let you know" thing
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My teachers made me feel worse
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Many teachers don't but you can find the odd few who are genuinely good people and care about your well-being.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m not exactly depressed but I’m just down all the time. I want to talk to a teacher about the fact I’m pulling 2 all nighters to get a project done but it’s my fault and she’ll put the blame on me. I want to tell her I’ve not been doing too well but she’ll probably just think I’m trying to get out of it. I know it’s their job but I really want to talk to someone and I don’t want them thinking I’m just miserable. One of my teachers always jokes about how I look depressed and tells me to be happy and it annoys me so much it’s like he’s just blind to all the issues students have to deal with every day. Is it worth talking to a teacher about it or will they just think I’m overreacting? Do they care at all??
Teachers do care and pastoral support is part of the job

Talk to a teacher you get on with or your tutor or Head of year. They may be able to change a deadline as it won;t be a final one at this point of the year.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)

Speak to your GP, they will have to care.
They don't always though ... you've been on here long enough to read the experiences some people have had with their GPs.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
They don't always though ... you've been on here long enough to read the experiences some people have had with their GPs.
True, but they really ought to. It's really their duty to safeguard the physical and mental health of their patients.

You can easily say the same for (some) doctors in any specialty - they don't "care" enough.
Yasmin1224
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do they care at all??
No
TeenRose29
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some do genuinely care. Others just blow it off. It kind of depends how you feel about them and how they feel about you. I have one uni lecturer who at the beginning of the course I thought I would never speak to about my issues because she seemed more reserved but she is the one who I've talked to about my issues, I just chat with her and she's really supportive. She tells me that she has a duty of care and pastoral care and support is part of the job, which it is. So they are supposed to care and if they have any concerns they also have a duty to report or take this further if needed.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
True, but they really ought to. It's really their duty to safeguard the physical and mental health of their patients.

You can easily say the same for (some) doctors in any specialty - they don't "care" enough.
Yes I know ... safeguarding is also part of a teacher's job too

In an ideal world, the OP would go to a teacher who would encourage them to go and see their great GP
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Talk to your teacher.

It was a university lecturer who identified my depression (from mannerisms and a meltdown) and encouraged me to go speak to my GP. That was in late 2015. It's thanks to her kickstarting it all that I've been able to learn how to cope with depression and anxiety and sort my life out.
BigBadRay
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If your depression becomes a threat to their salary, then yes, they will care.
Aliciagoodall18
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel like I don’t really talk to many of my teachers about my feelings but you have a couple who do really care and would make time for you. even if they can’t support you , they should refer you or encourage you to speak to a school councillor / school nurse or outside organisations. Don’t give up! They are supposed to care. If it makes you feel better instead of talking in person, email them, write it out they can’t just do nothing!!!! sometimes it takes things to hit rock bottom like doing badly in Exams to realise things aren’t all okay. idk if you live in uk but they’re many organisations/ charities you can contact. Samaritans, SHOUT, young minds that you can get your voice heard and can advise you what to do! I recommend you talk! Trll somebody even a teacher you trust or go to GP , tell a family member you’re close to! You’re not alone. ❤️
Letty Kwenn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They are supposed to care because it affects your performance in class if you are depressed. if i were a teacher myself i would try to speak to the student and find out what's wrong and try to help.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
The staff at the school i went to were all Awful about my mental health issues. They made everything worse
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (154)
51.85%
No (143)
48.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise