Turn on thread page Beta

If You Saw Someone Being Stabbed In The Street, Would You Help? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about this as we were studying the Bystander Effect in psychology last week.

Our teacher mentioned a case where a woman was stabbed to death in the middle of a street in London. Despite there being up to 100 onlookers, no-one helped her. The stabbing lasted for nearly half an hour.

So, that begs the question- why didn't they help?

If you were in the same situation, would you get involved?

ReputationRep:
    What an awful situation.

I'd like to say I'd intervene, but I, unfortunately, doubt my moral fortitude under such pressure.

ReputationRep:
    I know id call the police and ambulance immediately, but i wouldnt approach the stabber. Not that im an uncaring person or anything, but i dont fancy being stabbed myself.

In these kind of situations, I find myself tossing a coin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SylverStrike)
    I was thinking about this as we were studying the Bystander Effect in psychology last week.

Our teacher mentioned a case where a woman was stabbed to death in the middle of a street in London. Despite there being up to 100 onlookers, no-one helped her. The stabbing lasted for nearly half an hour.

I may not be a 100 metres Olympic runner, but I think if someone took half an hour to stab me I might be able to drift away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom4510)
    I know id call the police and ambulance immediately, but i wouldnt approach the stabber. Not that im an uncaring person or anything, but i dont fancy being stabbed myself.
    Precisely. I have sense and no physical strength.

ReputationRep:
    I guess some people might decide not to because they're scared they'll get stabbed as well..

No, I wouldn't intervene because chances are I'd get owned myself. I know it's harsh, but yeah...I don't want to die, even if I died doing something morally right.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be too shocked to do anything, probably run out of sight then call the police/ambulance

ReputationRep:
    half an hour long? surely the police would've been called and intervened by then!! :eek3:

I'd at least call 999!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy_J)
    I may not be a 100 metres Olympic runner, but I think if someone took half an hour to stab me I might be able to drift away.
    :P I meant that the multiple stabbings lasted for half an hour until the person died. Apparently the stabber walked away halfway through, leaving the victim to try her best to crawl to her front door and get to safety, but then the stabber returned to finish her off.

I just can't believe no-one would help, especially in that interval...

ReputationRep:
    So someone was being stabbed for half an hour and nobody did anything?

That seems very hard to believe actually.

ReputationRep:

Well in that situation surely it would have made sense for everyone to rush the attacker.

ReputationRep:
    Would I help? Yeah why not, not so much on the physical side but I could offer pointers: twist the knife now..wipe your fingerprints...etc

ReputationRep:
    In this case, according to my Psychology teacher, ONE person called 999 and for some reason it took the ambulance a particularly long time to arrive.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I would intervene, but I think it's impossible to know how you will react until you've been in that situation

I dont understand how people could let that go on for 30mins without calling the police / amulance though...

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't live with myself knowing I could have helped. I'd probably get a few of the other bystanders to help, I don't do psychology or sociology but it seems pretty obvious that people are unwilling to act alone, and very few people exhibit any sort of leadership qualities.

So to slightly change the scenario, would you help if someone asked you to aid them in stopping the attack? ie, you wouldn't be acting the hero on your own.

This is quite an extreme example as well. For something much less dangerous, I watched on as 3 guys with bolt cutters cut my bike chain in Brighton and tried to make off with my bike. While grappling with the chain at least 20 people must have walked past on the busy high street as I ran over to tell them to jog on. Nuts...

ReputationRep:
    There was a boy on the news who died stopping some guy beating his girlfriend in the street.

ReputationRep:
    I would wait until its finished and then try to help the victim. I'm not getting involved.

ReputationRep:
    I have seen someone be stabbed, and no I did not help. I don't wanna be stabbed myself! Nothing I could do, gave my phone so 999 could be called though and I was an official witness etc...

None of you have ever seen somebody getting stabbed, it's definately a case of you don't know how you'll reach untill it happens. I was like a meter away from the stabbing, I mean, I could see the knife! I was with my friend but apart from that we were alone (it was on a bus but the first stop so no one was on it, and it was in a not busy area, plus it was the bus driver so there were no other passengers). No, I didn't do anything when it happened and I can't say I'm ashamed; what was I supposed to do?

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.