The Student Room Group

Feeling alone

Hi there!
It's been like almost 3 months of uni and I still haven't found friends... At first I made some friends with my flatmates but it's like we're not getting closer but the opposite, getting stranger to each other. We do get along but most of the time I end up being alone. In class I'm totally stuck, I do know lots of people but actually I end up walking in and sitting anywhere, alone or next to whoever. There are two girls I tend to be with sometimes but not always. There are some girls from my country but I feel really shy and awkward talking and being with them, I don't know why... The worst thing is that I have no idea why it always happens. May be because I had too big expectations for my uni life.
It is a staff training institute, not a social club.
I’d do anything not to have associations to uni mates and flatmates etc trying to get rid of them is tougher than the marines lol they’re just so party like for me and not as motivated and determined can’t be hanging with dead wood. Honestly be glad you don’t have people who suck the life out of you if you find even one good friend cherish that. Advice is to Join these Facebook groups online eg if you hve a mental difficulty you can relate to them more and befriend like minded. If you’re into fashion or insta stuff eg you’d join a group that’s on fb. Hope that helps
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there!
It's been like almost 3 months of uni and I still haven't found friends... At first I made some friends with my flatmates but it's like we're not getting closer but the opposite, getting stranger to each other. We do get along but most of the time I end up being alone. In class I'm totally stuck, I do know lots of people but actually I end up walking in and sitting anywhere, alone or next to whoever. There are two girls I tend to be with sometimes but not always. There are some girls from my country but I feel really shy and awkward talking and being with them, I don't know why... The worst thing is that I have no idea why it always happens. May be because I had too big expectations for my uni life.

Hey!

Sorry to hear you're feeling this way. My advice is to not give up hope, I know people who didn't make their lifelong friends until final year, and I know people who didn't make them until they got a job afterwards. People build their closest friendships at different stages throughout their life, so you're definitely not alone in this, there are lots of other people in the same boat.

Have you thought about joining a club or society to meet new people who share the same interests as you? Or perhaps volunteering? You might build your strongest friendships that way :smile:

Good luck with everything!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask :biggrin:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest