Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I have a question that might sound a bit stupid/ I might be wondering about something that is irrelevant. I have hypermobility problems in my fingers/thumbs, and muscle in my writing hand, which basically makes it difficult and painful to write a lot. I found out last year, after several of my teachers commented on how slow I write... cue meeting with SENCO.
    Took some tests, qualified for 25% extra time in exams , which I find a lot of help (I've just retaken year 12 this year as well, due to some poor results - more to do with lack of revision/exam technique than anything else).
    During this year, I've been to see the OT several times; she was really helpful, I got a glove that makes writing less painful, and some exercises to help with other muscle problems in my hand.

So, this year I've improved a lot. But now we're beginning to fill in UCAS forms and prepare personal statements etc etc.
    I've put on UCAS about the hypermobility problems and muscle problems in my hand, which is fine, BUT... I'm not sure if I'd need my OT to write and back me up on it? Also, what does hypermobility and muscle problems come under? I've put it in the SLD category for now (I don't know if that's the right place), but I'm not sure if it should go under another category, or even as "Other"? :hmmmm:

Thanks, I'd appreciate any help you're willing to give me on this.

Sorry, I'm just in a muddle and want to see if I'm doing something wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I put it on my Ucas, don't need back up because you sign that all the information you provided was true.

I put it as other....

Probs worth putting a little disclaimer as to what it is, because a lot of people don't actually know and will end up thinking you have ADD or something as soon as they see the word "hyper".

You could get your referee to put that despite your hypermobility you strive to achieve he best results you can and often do...I had my one do that (although I'm doing drama and it's particularly bad in my hips, knees and elbows...so it was important they knew).

Should be fine, you don't need back up at all, may be helpful to explain it somewhere on there though, dependent on what your course is depends on how much they need to know

ReputationRep:
    I put it on my Ucas, don't need back up because you sign that all the information you provided was true.

I put it as other....

Probs worth putting a little disclaimer as to what it is, because a lot of people don't actually know and will end up thinking you have ADD or something as soon as they see the word "hyper".

You could get your referee to put that despite your hypermobility you strive to achieve he best results you can and often do...I had my one do that (although I'm doing drama and it's particularly bad in my hips, knees and elbows...so it was important they knew).

Should be fine, you don't need back up at all, may be helpful to explain it somewhere on there though, dependent on what your course is depends on how much they need to know

ReputationRep:
    feck sticky keys!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Reilly!
    Yeah, I just thought they might want to know because I'm applying for English Lit!

ReputationRep:
    It's not a SLD - that's a specific learning disorder. It probably only fits under other. I have similar problems with my wrist/hand - if you need any advice, give me a PM

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Gemz87, I just really didn't know what to put it under.
    PM sounds good, I don't really know anyone else with similar problems - thank you!

ReputationRep:
    SLD = "severe learning difficulties", SpLD = "specific learning difficulties" (e.g. dyslexia). what are the options on the form?

ReputationRep:
    I have hypermobile joints and i put it on my UCAS. I put it under other....

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.