The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Do St Andrews preferance ealier applications?

Hi,

I'm on a gap year and I'm just about to reapply to St Andrews, which is by far my first choice. I was successful in getting an offer last year. Durham would be my second choice. In terms of grades and personal statement I'm as confident as it's possible to be with St Andrews.

The only difference is that I spent longer writing my personal statement this year, so instead of my application going off to St Andrews at the end of October/ November, it'll be going off sometime this week (16-23rd Dec).
I know the official rules is that any application before Jan 15th is considered equally, but I was wondering if this is entirely true given just how competitive these two unis are -

In short I'm worrying that Durham and St Andrews are less likely to give me an offer because I'm applying later than last year. Is this a valid worry?
Original post by MaraAnne
Hi,

I'm on a gap year and I'm just about to reapply to St Andrews, which is by far my first choice. I was successful in getting an offer last year. Durham would be my second choice. In terms of grades and personal statement I'm as confident as it's possible to be with St Andrews.

The only difference is that I spent longer writing my personal statement this year, so instead of my application going off to St Andrews at the end of October/ November, it'll be going off sometime this week (16-23rd Dec).
I know the official rules is that any application before Jan 15th is considered equally, but I was wondering if this is entirely true given just how competitive these two unis are -

In short I'm worrying that Durham and St Andrews are less likely to give me an offer because I'm applying later than last year. Is this a valid worry?

when i applied for Biology 6 years ago, St Andrews was my first choice and Durham was my second :smile:

it really does not matter! unis over-offer knowing that some students won't make the grades, but as you're unconditional, they won't have to worry. St Andrews is one of the 5 most competitive unis in the UK... but that's really not saying much - our universities are not as competitive as you think they are. Durham in particular is nowhere near as competitive as it used to be due to massive expansion - they're looking at 20,000 undergrads within the next few years which is diluting the selectivity
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending