MrRossL
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I went to a party on Saturday night as it was a friends birthday and I jumped a taxi on the way back. I wouldn't usually do this but I lost some money and it was my only way of getting home.

I obviously told the taxi an address near mine so they dont know where I live but I stupidly got the taxi directly from my friends. I'm worried he'll show up there with the police.

So far I've heard nothing but am still worried. Is jumping a taxi a serious crime and should I be worrying?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
*shrug* It's as serious a crime as the driver decides to make it. if it's a small fare they'll likely let it go, but they can take it personal and cause trouble.

Pal of a Pal was kinda known for this, and one night getting a taxi it pulled over and two other drivers got in.and explained their...concerns. You never know when stuff like this will come back to haunt you.
MrRossL
Rep:
?
But I'm thinking what if the police doesn't show up and Ive no need to tell him.
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Call the taxi people up and at least try and pay the poor driver
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You lost money?
MrRossL
Rep:
?
The fare only came up to 8 pounds and I used a taxi service I don't ever use so its unlikely that I'll bump into him.
MrRossL
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaliaV)
You lost money?
Yeah so it was my only way of getting home
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MrRossL)
The fare only came up to 8 pounds and I used a taxi service I don't ever use so its unlikely that I'll bump into him.
You could’ve asked the taxi driver to stop at a cash point. You’ve essentially stolen a service...

Please be more considerate in future. Things like this may come back to bite you on the arse (a lot of taxis have CCTV)
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The police won't care about £8.

But you probably called off your phone number, which the company and driver no doubt have. If they run a blacklist (unlikely unless they have certain software to use in bookings), you're on it now via your phone number, as is your friend's address (I'm sure they and their family will thank you for that). If the company shares its blacklist with other firms (whether that's legally OK or not), your number and your friend's address will be on those too.
Last edited by Neilos; 9 months ago
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Maybe, Maybe not, You might be daft enough to call them again, the driver might move firm, they might just see you about. Not worth it IMO.

Around my way all the main cab firms are owned by pretty heavy gang types, they're unlikely to shoot you over £8 but i'd still be v cautious trying to rip off a bunch of people who express their displeasure with drilled out knees in an ASDA carpark.

Yeah so it was my only way of getting home
Walk, Hitch, Phone for help, stay at your friends/borrow fare, as a last resort ask the police.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Walk, Hitch, Phone for help, stay at your friends/borrow fare, as a last resort ask the police.
Great advice except for calling the police.

They’re not an emergency taxi service. As long as you aren’t in danger eg. Stranded on a motorway, they aren’t going to help a drunk teenager get home because they didn’t have the due care to ensure they had a taxi fare.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
Great advice except for calling the police.

They’re not an emergency taxi service. As long as you aren’t in danger eg. Stranded on a motorway, they aren’t going to help a drunk teenager get home because they didn’t have the due care to ensure they had a taxi fare.
As an absolute last resort it is valid advice. I've seen them get lots of drunk teenagers home (me included), either by putting you on a train or bus for free, or in some cases you can come back to the station and they'll give you a lift if they happen to have a car going out that way. I wouldn't recommend this, i'm talking about if your other options are '100 mile walk' or 'freeze to death'
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I went to a party on Saturday night as it was a friends birthday and I jumped a taxi on the way back. I wouldn't usually do this but I lost some money and it was my only way of getting home.

I obviously told the taxi an address near mine so they dont know where I live but I stupidly got the taxi directly from my friends. I'm worried he'll show up there with the police.

So far I've heard nothing but am still worried. Is jumping a taxi a serious crime and should I be worrying?
So as I understand it - you cheated the taxi driver out of his money. Shame on you. We all have to get by in life and you should hang your head in shame
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Selfish prat
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
taxis have video cameras inside nowadays ?

:holmes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (3)
9.68%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
32.26%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
9.68%
No, I haven't received any communication (15)
48.39%

Watched Threads